Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinkie grey squirrel in the UK – worried he is not thriving. Can you help?

Default Re: Pinkie grey squirrel in the UK – worried he is not thriving. Can you help?

Um, don't look for PET heating pads - they will cost you way more money! I am talking about the square ones YOU lay on when you hurt your back or something.

If all you can find are auto turnoff, see if you can find a "multi on/off appliance timer" - people use them to turn lights on and off to make the house look occupied, etc. If you get one with multiple on/off settings, you can use it to trick the heating pad.

If the pad turns off after 3 hours for example, set your appliance timer to be ON for 2.5 hours and OFF for 15 minutes, then ON for another 2.5 hours and so on. 15 minutes will hardly allow it to cool but once it turns on it is ready to go for another 2.5 hours...

Yes, I am a little concerned - and I may be totally wrong, but I am looking for a reason for the baby to be getting dehydrated and too much heat at some point would certainly do that. I am grasping at straws - but regardless, the heating pad is a far superior method.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CheekyHackee (10-02-2022)

Default Re: Pinkie grey squirrel in the UK – worried he is not thriving. Can you help?

So the ones for humans are even more expensive (maybe a UK thing?) and all seem to switch off after 90 mins. Re-reading the descriptions on some of the pet ones, this one does seem to have a 24-hour on function: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NICREW-Heat...s%2C200&sr=8-6 I totally missed that a few days ago! It says: 'Choose the heating time from 4, 8, 12 hours or 24 hours stay on feature for constant heat'. So I'll get that one, which can arrive tomorrow.

And yes, maybe you're right, maybe that is what happened, that she got too hot at one point. It's possible. She just took 1ml of warm water and was very energetic again. I'll redo her box as soon as the heat pad arrives. Can send pictures once done so you can let me know if it's the best set up for her. Thanks so much for thinking with me! How high should the setting be for her when I turn it on?

Given that they probably have a range depending on brand, etc., I would turn it on to medium and let it get heated up - like preheating an oven - and then just start checking it - try and see what happens at low setting - does it stay nice and warm or is it getting cool? Once you figure out where it wants to be it should stay pretty constant. Yes, by all means, post pics!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CheekyHackee (10-02-2022)

OK, I checked the dog beds out. These are not like a human heating pad - which get very hot. That is why we put them UNDER the container the baby is in, so the heat has to penetrate the container and the bedding before it gets to the squirrel. These don't get very hot at all - I honestly don't know if they get hot enough. You will, at least, NOT want to put them under the container - he will very likely need to sleep right on the bed itself. Do some temp checks when you get it to see.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CheekyHackee (10-03-2022)

Thanks for looking at the pet bed I purchased, CritterMom. You're right, it doesn't get very hot. We did a test and the highest setting seems to be the best. It's nice and warm to the touch and keeps her nest lovely and warm. I wrapped the pad in an old t-shirt and put the whole thing in a plastic box. It's snug fit but I think it works. I then put her nest on top. So far she never leaves the comfort of her nest, she is very snug in there. When she gets a bit older she might explore the box more, but I have also been looking at what kind of cage to get her for then.

The only thing with the current set up is that there is no way to escape the pad. But as it's not very hot I'm not sure if that's an issue. Let me know what you think. The only way to address that is to go and find/buy a bigger box, which I can definitely do when she starts to wander out. I'm feeding her every 3.5 hours now (5% of her body weight) with 1ml water in between during the day. I'm not sure the 3.5 hours is working that well though. I just fed her and it took a long time for her to take the second syringe. Should I stretch her to every 4 hours and see? She's three weeks tomorrow and weighs 43gr.

Name:  Cheeky new bed 1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  Cheeky new bed 2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  Cheeky new bed 3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  Cheeky new bed 4.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  Cheeky new bed 5.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Cheeky new bed 6.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  45.2 KB

As it turned out the highest setting (6) was too high. I went to check on her frequently initially and after about an hour or so she had left the nest and was sleeping outside it. The nest had clearly gotten a bit too hot for her. I turned the pad down to a medium setting (4) and that seems to be the sweet spot. She stays in the nest at that setting and it's always pleasantly warm.

Name:  Cheeky too hot.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  60.0 KB

In terms of her being a bit dehydrated yesterday, I've been giving her 1ml of warm water in between feeds and according to this video I found on here on how to rehydrate a squirrel (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPMVq...relsandmorellc) she seems to be hydrated again. Her pulled skin goes down in two seconds (or less).

The only challenge that remains is that she is quite fussy eater. She will usually eat her first syringe quite well, but then loses interest fast with the second one and feeding her that takes ages. I feel like I've tried lots of different things and keep a close eye on the milk being hot enough. Hopefully her being fully hydrated will improve her appetite. Her weight gain has also slowed down, she's only put on 1gr today. In recent days I had gotten used to 2-3gr a day. Fingers crossed that picks up again as well when she starts to eat a bit more again (she was on 6%, now dropped back to 5%). I don't think she looks skinny though.

Aw. So cute.

A lot of people begin adding things to the formula to both boost it in fat specifically, and also in flavor. Here in the US we can get a dried version made by one of the formula manufacturers to add in, but you could do it the old way.

Can you get full fat (whole milk) yogurt there? Here in the US 99% is low or no fat, but there ARE a few. A flavor would be best - vanilla is popular. It can't have chunks of fruit or anything. In the US there is a brand that is marketed for infants and toddlers that is perfect. Full fat vanilla yogurt is one "add in". The other is heavy cream. If you can get this stuff you may be able to add some flavor she likes a lot more than what she has now. My little flyer Laz was sort of a uninterested nurser, but when I added some yogurt and a little cream, I remember his eyes flew open is very happy shock and he started grabbing for the syringe!

If you decide to try, tell me how much formula you mix up each day so I can figure out how much of each to add. You would start with a very small amount and add a little bit more each day.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CheekyHackee (10-04-2022)

Thanks CritterMom, that definitely gives me hope! I got two types of fuller fat yoghurt today: a Greek one with 10.1% fat and a vanilla one from the same brand with 5.8% fat. I had bought some double cream before but never used it and that is past its sell by date now, so I'll get some more. I normally make a batch based on two teaspoons of milk powder and four teaspoons of hot water. How much yoghurt and cream should I add to that?

Also, today, she did eat better. She had 2.5ml before and was keen to take the first two syringes, so I'm hopeful that her enthusiasm will increase further with some added yoghurt and cream!

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyHackee View Post
    Thanks CritterMom, that definitely gives me hope! I got two types of fuller fat yoghurt today: a Greek one with 10.1% fat and a vanilla one from the same brand with 5.8% fat. I had bought some double cream before but never used it and that is past its sell by date now, so I'll get some more. I normally make a batch based on two teaspoons of milk powder and four teaspoons of hot water. How much yoghurt and cream should I add to that?

Also, today, she did eat better. She had 2.5ml before and was keen to take the first two syringes, so I'm hopeful that her enthusiasm will increase further with some added yoghurt and cream!
    First, a question: do you make up your formula fresh for each feeding, or do you make a batch large enough for the day? Your best bet is the second - make up enough for 24 hours all at once and keep under refrigeration. The formula powder really does best it it is mixed with the water and allowed to sit for at least a few hours before it is fed with. It takes a bit for the powder to absorb as much water as possible. It goes into solution at first - mixes up and thickens some but if you threw it on a slide and looked at it under a microscope you would see unabsorbed formula powder. And hour or two later? Everything has absorbed and is as digestible as it can get.

First, go for the vanilla flavored yogurt. I would start small - 1/4 teaspoon of the yogurt and about 1/8 teaspoon of the double cream, which google told me is much heavier and has way more fat than our "whipping" cream. If you make the formula very hot to mix it up initially, allow it to cool down before adding the yogurt to help preserve the probiotic effect. See how her tummy does with that - it is a pretty small ratio there. If she seems to like it, after a day or so you can double the yogurt and add add a little more of the cream.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CheekyHackee (10-04-2022)

Hi! Yes, I make the formula in advance (ideally two hours before I feed her) and then make enough for 24 hours and keep it in the fridge. When I first found her I read that this was the best approach. I also make sure it has no lumps or anything by pushing it all through a tiny strainer, so it's super smooth.

I was thinking the same actually; that the double cream might be too heavy to begin with so I'll get some single cream instead which is like your whipping cream. And presumably I can then add a bit more? So this is what I'll make tomorrow:
    • 2 teaspoons milk powder
    • 4 teaspoons warm water
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla yoghurt
    • 1/4 teaspoon single cream

Does that sound right? And as you suggest I'll add the yoghurt and cream when the milk has cooled. Excited to try this!

Vanilla milk please!

Name:  Vanilla milk please.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  62.5 KB

Yes - one part of each. Has she tried it yet?

No, not yet. I'm putting words in her mouth hahaha. I had just made a fresh batch of milk so I'll make this tomorrow when I have the cream. I'll report back!

The little beseeching clasped hands - such a little drama queen.

She's got a lot of spirit, that's for sure!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CheekyHackee from:

Tashahaven (10-04-2022)

Tried the new formula mix (last two feeds), but she didn't seem to really notice the difference unfortunately... She did however put on quite a bit of weight today and jumped from 45gr to 49gr, so hopefully with the new booster formula that will only increase.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CheekyHackee from:

Charley Chuckles (10-05-2022)

Cheeky is drinking the new formula well. Taking 3ml at every feed now (she's 51gr). Because she has continued to do well I am slowly allowing myself to imagine that she might make it (found it very hard to think beyond an hour at a time when I found her and she was only 13gr and looked so beaten up).

I know she's still tiny and lots can still happen but at the same time I want to start thinking about how her needs will evolve. So I have been reading up on weaning and cages as well as plans for releasing her eventually. Because of where we live she would need to overwinter with us and we can then build her a release cage in the spring (various neighbours have already said they are keen to help, which is fantastic. In fact our street WhatsApp group is 90% squirrel content at the moment, lol).

It seems that most people recommend the Critter Nation cages (the double one) and I would be happy to get one of those (and then ideally sell on when she is released), but am wondering if she might benefit from something a bit smaller in between. Looking on various sites, I would value thoughts on this cage that I found on Ebay. It's 90cm tall and 60cm wide. I was thinking it could work from 8 weeks on, when she doesn't need her heating pad anymore. When she's outgrown this I can bite the bullet and get the CN one. Again neighbours have said they'll contribute too.

Name:  Cheeky cage 1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 2.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  181.8 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  167.1 KB

And I should say that it's been hard to find anything suitable that is either nearby or that people are willing to post. As we don't drive, I need to find a solution that is nearby if I'm going for second hand. But something might come up still instead of a brand new CN one. Anyway, thoughts very welcome on this possible in between cage from about 8 weeks (it's $20 incl. delivery). The seller said they kept chipmunks in it.

This would be a great "juvenile" cage but he'd outgrow this one rather quickly. He'll need more space for overwintering for sure... like the CN size cage.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Aw. So cute.

A lot of people begin adding things to the formula to both boost it in fat specifically, and also in flavor. Here in the US we can get a dried version made by one of the formula manufacturers to add in, but you could do it the old way.

Can you get full fat (whole milk) yogurt there? Here in the US 99% is low or no fat, but there ARE a few. A flavor would be best - vanilla is popular. It can't have chunks of fruit or anything. In the US there is a brand that is marketed for infants and toddlers that is perfect. Full fat vanilla yogurt is one "add in". The other is heavy cream. If you can get this stuff you may be able to add some flavor she likes a lot more than what she has now. My little flyer Laz was sort of a uninterested nurser, but when I added some yogurt and a little cream, I remember his eyes flew open is very happy shock and he started grabbing for the syringe!

If you decide to try, tell me how much formula you mix up each day so I can figure out how much of each to add. You would start with a very small amount and add a little bit more each day.
    As a heads up, in the states I’ve been using Icelandic provisions vanilla skyr. It’s very high fat and low sugar!! 11grams of protein, 7 grams of fat, and 9 sugars. It does thicken the formula when chilled but once warmed it loosens up again.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tiniest from:

CheekyHackee (10-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyHackee View Post
    Cheeky is drinking the new formula well. Taking 3ml at every feed now (she's 51gr). Because she has continued to do well I am slowly allowing myself to imagine that she might make it (found it very hard to think beyond an hour at a time when I found her and she was only 13gr and looked so beaten up).

I know she's still tiny and lots can still happen but at the same time I want to start thinking about how her needs will evolve. So I have been reading up on weaning and cages as well as plans for releasing her eventually. Because of where we live she would need to overwinter with us and we can then build her a release cage in the spring (various neighbours have already said they are keen to help, which is fantastic. In fact our street WhatsApp group is 90% squirrel content at the moment, lol).

It seems that most people recommend the Critter Nation cages (the double one) and I would be happy to get one of those (and then ideally sell on when she is released), but am wondering if she might benefit from something a bit smaller in between. Looking on various sites, I would value thoughts on this cage that I found on Ebay. It's 90cm tall and 60cm wide. I was thinking it could work from 8 weeks on, when she doesn't need her heating pad anymore. When she's outgrown this I can bite the bullet and get the CN one. Again neighbours have said they'll contribute too.

Name:  Cheeky cage 1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 2.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  181.8 KB

Name:  Cheeky cage 4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  167.1 KB

And I should say that it's been hard to find anything suitable that is either nearby or that people are willing to post. As we don't drive, I need to find a solution that is nearby if I'm going for second hand. But something might come up still instead of a brand new CN one. Anyway, thoughts very welcome on this possible in between cage from about 8 weeks (it's $20 incl. delivery). The seller said they kept chipmunks in it.

OH MY GOODNESS, can I RELATE to how HEARTBREAKING, and difficult it is to “control” your emotional “commitment” (for COMPLETE LACK OF BETTER WORDS…im SUPER EXHAUSTED and basically in zombie mode myself at the moment so probably shouldn’t be posting lol)

Giving ALL of yourself and doing EVERYTHING you can possible, trying any and everything, desperately searching for answers, re-arranging your entire world, so you can provide and help this ITTY BITTY baby, hanging on every breath and movement, LOVING them completely. But still being SCARED to get TOO hopeful, or plan too far ahead, out of fear of not knowing what’s in store in 15 minutes.

a rather long winded explanation (that’s me. Nothing new) of me saying…you are NOT alone! And you are amazing! Thank you for loving so much and caring for this baby so well! I’m so delighted and comforted she has such a kind and caring person!

🥰🥰💕💕❤️❤️💕💕🥰🥰

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tashahaven:

CheekyHackee (10-17-2022), Chirps (10-07-2022)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast