Thread: Bleach poisoning

Default Bleach poisoning

I got 3 babies yesterday around 5 weeks of age from a person that rescued them from a man that poured bleach on them. She gave them all baths. One is missing a lot of fur. They all have clicking lungs, but one is worse than the others. I started them all on Amoxicillin this morning. If bleach got in their lungs, what can I do?

Default Re: Bleach poisoning

I am not aware of anything you can do anything about potential of bleach inhalation, especially a day later. Provide lots of hydration and if they are clicking the antibiotics BUT amoxicillin is not a great treatment for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) that causes this clicking. If it is Augmentin (Amoxicillin AND clavulanate) then it is much more effective (the clavulanate makes many more bacterium susceptible to the amoxicillin). You can also give them some infants ibuprofen for pain if needed.... do they seem to be uncomfortable / in pain? Poor babies.

Are you confident in the amoxicillin dosing given to these babies? If not, post the strength of the amoxicillin and the baby's weight and we'll help.

If you can get a hold of some silvadene
    (silver sulfadiazine 1%) for those chemical burns it would be awesome. Silvadene is a prescription only medication and although you can get generic silver sulfadiazine products over the counter they are not as strong as Silvadene.... but definitely better than most anything else you can use on those burns.

Can you post pictures?

Why did this Bass Turd pour bleach on baby squirrels?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I am not aware of anything you can do anything about potential of bleach inhalation, especially a day later. Provide lots of hydration and if they are clicking the antibiotics BUT amoxicillin is not a great treatment for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) that causes this clicking. If it is Augmentin (Amoxicillin AND clavulanate) then it is much more effective (the clavulanate makes many more bacterium susceptible to the amoxicillin). You can also give them some infants ibuprofen for pain if needed.... do they seem to be uncomfortable / in pain? Poor babies.

Are you confident in the amoxicillin dosing given to these babies? If not, post the strength of the amoxicillin and the baby's weight and we'll help.

If you can get a hold of some silvadene
    (silver sulfadiazine 1%) for those chemical burns it would be awesome. Silvadene is a prescription only medication and although you can get generic silver sulfadiazine products over the counter they are not as strong as Silvadene.... but definitely better than most anything else you can use on those burns.

Can you post pictures?

Why did this Bass Turd pour bleach on baby squirrels?
    He "wanted the rodents off his property!" That was his reasoning.

I am trying hard not to respond regarding my heart's desire for this monster.

This place sells the silver sulfadiazine that Spanky mentioned without prescription: https://www.mountainside-medical.com...20sulfadiazine

You might try calling to beg for super fast service - perhaps if you shared this terrible story it might get it to you faster.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

MyBushyTail (09-21-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

The clicking could be from the bleach fumes which can damage soft tissue including lung tissue. I would add something for pain like infant ibuprofen. Hopefully they will improve in a day or two.

What kind of monster pours bleach on baby animals?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

MyBushyTail (09-21-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    What kind of monster pours bleach on baby animals?
    The kind that needs to be exterminated.... preferably in a sealed drum of bleach!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

MyBushyTail (09-21-2022), Spanky (09-21-2022), Tiniest (09-22-2022)

Did you call the police on this evil man? That is animal cruelty.
    Life without squirrels isn't life at all.
    Squirrels are Nature's gift to the trees, and vice versa.

I couldn't decide which squirrels should be in my signature. Why not all of them?
    Squirrel Awareness Blog
    Long Live Squirrels!

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cre8ivmind:

Diggie's Friend (09-21-2022), MyBushyTail (09-21-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-21-2022), Tashahaven (09-21-2022), Tiniest (09-22-2022)

On Nov. 25, 2019, "The Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act" making animal abuse a felony, was signed into law.

If the person who did the rescue actually saw the person doing this heinous act; they need to come forward to give testimony to the authorities to that effect,
    to help to prevent this person from ever doing this again.

Recently I read about a veterinarian in TX that had brutally killed some squirrels; sadly this law had not as yet been enacted back in 2016.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Tiniest (09-22-2022)

Terrible! Those poor babies! How are they doing?

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sommer from:

Tashahaven (09-22-2022)

Update?

This makes me SO SAD and SOOOO angry! I hope this person gets what he deserves!