Thread: Not mange but this was the most relevant category.

Exclamation Not mange but this was the most relevant category.

Hello My name is Cassie. A yr and 16 days ago I took in a 3 week old male grey squirrel. I did all of the research. I syringe feed him every couple of hours with Esbilac puppy formula. Powder- so it was fresh every feeding. I weened him at about 17/18weeks old, we’ll be mostly weened himself when we started solids. He is now just over a yr old, he gets fresh veggies, fruit, minimal treats (pecans and walnuts) he also gets Henry’s healthy block “Wild bites”, we’ve tried the other flavors and this seems to be his favorite. For about 6 months now, he has had hair loss. It’s been very slow going. But it’s quite a bit now. He seems healthy otherwise. No change in stool or urine. His teeth are nice and orange and not overgrown. He’s very energetic, seems happy. I don’t see him itching very often and when he does, it’s never the bald spots. Honestly, it doesn’t seem to bother him at all. I think it bothers me more. The hair loss is on his outer thighs and base of tail, going half way down the tail on the top of the tail. No scabs or wounds or crustiness. We’ve tried coconut. Feeding it to him and rubbing the oil on him but he hates it and it doesn’t seem to help much. What could this be and how can I help him?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Not mange but this was the most relevant category.

Both of my squirrels have done this to a degree, and both of them have had it decrease each year as they aged. From what I can see, at least for mine, he doesn't molt out the winter hair correctly on the butt end of his body. It sticks around, looking kind of shaggy until mid summer when it gets thin and eventually falls out. Mine goes all the way to pink skin! Then late summer the fur starts to fill in there - always bright gray for winter, and everything molts properly and the winter coat is perfect. Then the following summer it starts again.

It isn't mites or a fungus. The skin couldn't BE any smoother (I grab poor Zeke and rub his butt against my cheek ALL THE TIME) and it is perfectly symmetrical - mirror images on both sides of the body. Hormonal? Maybe, but why don't I see wilds that way? The thing that gets me thinking is that the one thing neither of them ever experienced was winter temps, despite living in a VERY cold place, and likely being geared up to do that since they and all of their ancestors lived right here. They are little rich squirrels with nice warm homes. I think the molting in the spring is part of it and wonder if the warm temps prevent that from happening properly.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Cassie_B (09-19-2022), island rehabber (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Not mange but this was the most relevant category.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Both of my squirrels have done this to a degree, and both of them have had it decrease each year as they aged. From what I can see, at least for mine, he doesn't molt out the winter hair correctly on the butt end of his body. It sticks around, looking kind of shaggy until mid summer when it gets thin and eventually falls out. Mine goes all the way to pink skin! Then late summer the fur starts to fill in there - always bright gray for winter, and everything molts properly and the winter coat is perfect. Then the following summer it starts again.

It isn't mites or a fungus. The skin couldn't BE any smoother (I grab poor Zeke and rub his butt against my cheek ALL THE TIME) and it is perfectly symmetrical - mirror images on both sides of the body. Hormonal? Maybe, but why don't I see wilds that way? The thing that gets me thinking is that the one thing neither of them ever experienced was winter temps, despite living in a VERY cold place, and likely being geared up to do that since they and all of their ancestors lived right here. They are little rich squirrels with nice warm homes. I think the molting in the spring is part of it and wonder if the warm temps prevent that from happening properly.
    Thank you!! I was worried something was wrong but like I said he seems so healthy otherwise! And looking back at his pictures he did lose it in a different place and it grew back. But it was a lot less that he lost lol. I do wonder if maybe they don’t shed and grow back like they should in the wild because they’re not exposed to the same conditions. He lives indoors where it’s 75 during the day and 72 at night. He has plenty to keep him warm at night though. Thank you again!