Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young baby squirrel question

Default Re: Young baby squirrel question

So I took the camera out first thing this morning and Tiny saw it and ran behind the tree and wouldn't come out. I'm wondering if it is the presence of the camera, or my possible slight "tenseness" of the self-imposed pressure to get a good photo, that she senses and runs away from.

Because when I go out without a camera, I am usually very calm and at ease, and so is she.

So I will practice being at ease with a camera and drop the performance anxiety that I might be displaying. I left a block and have no idea who got it.

Later in the day, Tiny was out and I did manage to get a so so photo of her coming to get block, but with the camera there, she stopped (see photo), and so I placed the block and she ran over and took it to eat once I stepped back. I tossed her several nuts over the next hour and she took them.

What Tiny is walking on is simply a table on top of a table, squirrel chewed of course. It is a rather ugly way to make a place to put seeds and nuts for squirrels and birds when it is raining to keep it dry. It is my intent to make a beautiful structure that will accomplish the same thing. It's just I have a long to do list of items ahead of that one.

Today I was surprised that the one whom I suspect is the sibling of Tiny came closer to me than it ever had before, then ran and hid, but it did look me in the face and we made a connection, it had never really engaged with me at all, so that might be the start of something. It is the same size as Tiny. The photo is of Tiny.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Chirps (10-19-2022), Grinderhead (10-18-2022)

Pretty is as pretty does. I like your table-over-table. That's exactly what I need to keep blocks from melting in the rain. And since they chew everything eventually anyway, what's a few gnaw marks?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Lighten-Up (10-19-2022)

Yesterday morning, Tiny ignored me when I saw her in her tree, she was with her sibling.

In the afternoon, I saw her on the old RC roof. She saw me, and I was sure I detected happiness as she leaped off the roof to a branch so she could run down the truck to the bench to where she could access something I might have. I actually found a partial stash of HHB in the freezer that had gotten lost from this spring and not totally used up, so I had a Hazelnut HHB today.

Tiny looked at me and came very close, even though I had the camera. I placed the block and she took it. I'm getting a little better and becoming more at ease with the photo taking thing. Here's a photo of Tiny with her Hazelnut HHB which she liked. Several hours later I saw her again and she took some tossed nuts.

An aside, when I gave Tiny the HHB, I noticed that the Manu mineral block nearby was GONE. I mean gone, nothing left of it. They usually last a year, it's only been there a few months. Who took it or ate it? The squirrels take little teeth bites out of it. The same mysterious thing happened to my deer or elk antler which I had tied to a branch with a thick wire. The squirrels have been slowly chewing it down over the past year, and then just last month, it was gone, the wire remained. No squirrel could chew that fast, it was still relatively thick.

What kind of animal would take both my antler and manu block? Both were located at ground level. I have skunks and opossums, but also, I have had antlers and manu blocks out for years and this has never happened. I'm thinking of now putting both in a location where small squirrels can get in, but larger animals can't, IF that was the issue.

I haven't seen Tiny yet today, but our schedules didn't align this morning with what I had going on.

I didn't see Tiny all day, this gave me some concern. Finally I saw her at the end of the day, but she was hunched down low. She has an issue with her right rear leg, it is not working right. I do sincerely hope it's just an injury, I will check on her tomorrow. She took and ate a Hazelnut HHB and an almond and filbert, then she ate sunflower seeds.

It couldn't be MBD could it? She's in the wild. Though she is very small and not on moms milk. I see her eating plants, bark, block, nuts and seeds.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

BigHeartedSquirrelDad (10-20-2022)

Not likely MBD since you are giving her the HHBs. They land wrong, twist wrong, and actually injure themselves a lot climbing and leaping like maniacs. Stuff him like a turkey every time you see him and it is more likely that he will go HOME and rest his leg and sleep and be safe instead of having to limp around looking for food. He is just so precious - I love this little baby!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

BigHeartedSquirrelDad (10-20-2022), Lighten-Up (10-21-2022), MyBushyTail (10-21-2022)

I was concerned about Tiny most of today as I did not see her out and about as I have up until now. I did see her sibling running between the two trees, who I caught once, watching the house looking for me. But when I went out, it ran off. That was my clue though to put some seeds and nuts out.

Late morning I did see Tiny, she didn't take a block, but did take a nut. She ate it laying flat on the ground, not sitting up. She did not venture to the other tree today, from what I saw, she stayed close to her home tree.

Early evening I went looking for her, I saw her high up in her tree. It's interesting that I can tell her by her eyes, the way she looks at me. High up, I could not see her body or her pointy tail, which is how I identify her. It was only her face she was showing from behind the bark, but I knew it was her, because of only the side of her face and her eyes. We established eye contact and I said "Tiny, I'm sending you healing. CritterMom loves you, I love you. You have many who care about you, I'm believing for your wellness." After 5 minutes of that then she hid instead of coming down to me.

A little bit later I saw her on the ground, and tossed her many nuts because that is all I had on me. If I'd gone into the house to get a block, she might have been gone when I came out. I just wanted to spend a little time with her. The past day or so, just one loud noise or squirrel coming close, and she runs to safety so I did not want to take a chance on leaving her for this brief moment I had to be with her even if 10 feet away. She ate them laying flat while looking at me. I spoke positively and softly to her as she ate, and I noticed that with every two bites, she rose a little higher in form, off the ground. I took this to be positive, she was looking better. And about an hour later, I actual saw her run across part of the patio. I was very encouraged.

This is not the best photo, it's the only one I could get of her today, it was shaded and darker under the shrub so the photo is fuzzy/blurry.

Thank you for your prayers for this little one, Tiny. I desire to see her back to her/his peppy self!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

MyBushyTail (10-22-2022)

I didn't see Tiny until noon today, when I did, she was at the other tree across the yard, she found an almond I had put out, and then she took a HHB that I tossed to her. She is not using her rear right foot, she holds it tight to her body when she moves. But she looked better today, and was sitting up a little better. Thank you for your prayers.

Tiny did not stay out for me to give me any more nuts, as a matter of fact, when I gave her the block she disappeared behind the big tree to eat it.

Her sibling then came to the bench and I'll post photos of him/her in the next post.

Here is a photo of Tiny today,

The sibling of Tiny was willing to eat nuts and seeds on the bench and be photographed, while Tiny had gone somewhere.

Here is a photo of the sibling sitting on the bench, and hanging on the tree.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Grinderhead (10-23-2022)

I was glad to see Tiny first thing this morning. She took a block, ate some and discarded it? So I tossed her an almond and filbert and she took those. She was laying on the ground to eat, but when I tossed her the block, she did sit up somewhat to eat it. I wasn't able to see her again, so no photos.

Since I have no photos of Tiny, I thought I would show one of Orange Muffin, I mentioned him in an earlier post, he's the one who runs into my kitchen if I leave the door open, and he waves his arms wildly over his head.

I have a photo of him waving his arms to make sure I see him. He alternates right arm wave, left arm wave etc. until he gets a nut. It's incredibly sweet. He is a 1.5 year old wild. He won't take a nut from my fingers, I must place the nut. But he will press his nose against my finger as I leave the nut and he picks it up. I adore his quirky personality. Photo of Orange Muffin

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Grinderhead (10-23-2022)

I saw Tiny at her tree in the morning today, and gave her food. Then she was at the other tree in the afternoon. I was happy to see her eat quite a lot this time, and she stayed around so I could get some photos. She's been a bit elusive lately.

I noticed that because of her injury she eats a lot laying down.

When I gave her nuts, she did an interesting thing, she ate the nut holding it only in her left paw, and she used her right paw to hold her weight up off the bench. I've never seen this. See the photo on the lower right of her holding a pecan nut in her left paw. It's hard to see her left paw, it's the same color as the bench, but you'll see her paw on the nut. I thought this was an odd way to eat. She did the same thing holding a filbert that way to eat.

This photo on the lower left might suggest that she is a boy?

All photos are of Tiny, she still moves about carefully holding her right rear leg up. But she's more mobile than she was a day ago.

Yesterday started out by me stepping on a toad. How does that happen? Why didn't it move? I was looking for Tiny and walked across the deck and heard a croak/squeal. I looked down and there was a toad under my foot! This has never happened before. I lifted my foot immediately and couldn't believe what I saw, a toad under my foot? Just how does that happen? I lifted the little guy and held him. No blood. I massaged his body and prayed for him, then set him down. He willingly put up with all this. After a minute or two, he straighten up and I took a photo of him, then I moved him off the deck, feeling he would be better to be off the human walking area. When I picked him back up to move him, he had some definite vocals to suggest to me that he was fine to be left to himself now! He walked a little bit to find a place he liked, so I think he is okay, whew. Here is a photo of the toad.

I took one photo of Tiny yesterday as he? went to the other tree yesterday and it's easier to see him there. Photo of Tiny yesterday.

Tiny wasn't out much today that I could see, when I did see him, he disappeared, and did not engage me. I put out some food trusting that he would find it on his own. I saw his sibling playing with a twig. I love when they do that.

Since I now think Tiny maybe male, I will switch pronouns until I find out anything different.

Tiny was pretty antisocial on Thursday and Friday, I put nuts and block out hoping he would find it and I prayed more.

On Friday I was surprised to see him in a part of the yard that is not one of his two places to forage. He is expanding his range.

Today Tiny was social. He let me sit close and take photos of him both morning and late afternoon, this was a bonus day! I'm also very pleased to notice that Tiny is moving much better, and is not laying down to eat anymore. He holds his right rear thigh at a slightly wonky angle when sitting though.

Photos of Tiny

He is so cute! I am very glad he is better.

My wilds are so WEIRD and I have been watching generations of them doing this for years. I have several spots in my yard, mostly right next to the woods, that have more moss than grass (shut up; it's green!) They yank up a big "mat" of moss, hug it to their chest (fuzzy!!) and then leap and hop and ricochet off trees and roll and somersalt and pop and ALL of this while clutching their moss. After a while they will drop it, wander away, seemingly done, then TEAR back over, grab it up and start all over!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Tashahaven (10-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He is so cute! I am very glad he is better.

My wilds are so WEIRD and I have been watching generations of them doing this for years. I have several spots in my yard, mostly right next to the woods, that have more moss than grass (shut up; it's green!) They yank up a big "mat" of moss, hug it to their chest (fuzzy!!) and then leap and hop and ricochet off trees and roll and somersalt and pop and ALL of this while clutching their moss. After a while they will drop it, wander away, seemingly done, then TEAR back over, grab it up and start all over!
    Wow, how fascinating about your wilds with the moss. I have never seen that, nor do I have thick lush moss. I'd love to see a video of that. I wonder if it is just outrageously fun play to them, or it they are doing an herbal dance spa treatment? Thanks for sharing!

I saw Tiny this morning.
    I do love the special relationship I have developed with Tiny. When I saw him, he was at the other tree away from his nest. The other older babies left the area as I walked over, but Tiny stayed where he was, confident that I would supply him with some love and nourishment. He walked toward me, and I rolled a block to him, which he ate. Then I left some nuts. Though I have noticed, sometimes he prefers to eat sunflower seeds to the almonds, filberts, english walnuts and pecans I offer. I find this odd.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    They yank up a big "mat" of moss, hug it to their chest (fuzzy!!) and then leap and hop and ricochet off trees and roll and somersalt and pop and ALL of this while clutching their moss. After a while they will drop it, wander away, seemingly done, then TEAR back over, grab it up and start all over!
    After thinking about it.....This sounds vaguely like a cat with catnip!

Good news with Tiny.

On Monday I saw him hanging from both feet, face downward on a tree trunk. I hadn't seen him do that since his injury. He is moving much more normally now.

And both Monday and Tuesday he was coming to me again like I was his old friend. Whereas while he was injured, he wanted me to toss him nuts or block and keep my distance. He seems fine to come up to me close again, I just haven't had my camera. There is something really sweet and unusual about this little one. I do see who I think is his sibling here and there, but I don't see them playing together. ?

So today I finally defrosted the 6 little homemade formula cups of raw goat milk and cream, which I had made about the time of the first post I did for Tiny.

I had put them in the freezer to have immediately on hand should he come into my care. Note that I have never frozen home-made formula before. I've just made it and used it. But I had a lot going on at the time Tiny came along, and I sensed that I might not be feeding him formula right away, so I made it, and then froze it all in small packages so it wouldn't spoil, and yet I could defrost small amounts as needed. I was right that I wasn't going to be using it right away. Ha ha. Oh well.

So today I defrosted it all, and added raw egg (pasture farm raised), maple syrup and grated nutmeg on top for a really yummy egg nog. And I celebrated Tiny enjoying his life and back to running around and stashing seeds and nuts. Pat pat pat..... Note the really cool vintage nutmeg grinder.

Photo of my egg nog. And the best photo of I could get of Tiny today, all photos of Tiny were a bit blurry. It was early in the morning, and the dim light wasn't enough to keep it clear. I took more photos this evening, and same thing, too dark thus blurry. You can see the unique pointy tail tip Tiny has, which makes it easy to pick him out. He's missing a ring of fur a few inches from the tip. He's had that funky tail since the first time I saw him.

That funky tail is so distinctive! And that pic of Orange Muffin is so hilarious! I'd be forever in your debt if you could get a video of him doing it next time he swings by for a treat! Thanks for keeping the updates rolling.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigHeartedSquirrelDad from:

Lighten-Up (11-03-2022)

That Tiny little bundle has turned up the Power and Force!

About two days ago, I went over to the live tree and called to Tiny. Then there was a blur, and a squirrel chase. A big squirrel ran around the trunk, followed by……. Tiny?!!

Yes, Tiny was chasing the squirrel, and the squirrel was big. And right behind it, fast on it's heels was a little Tiny fast bundle of whooshing power. That was a funny site to see. I just stood there in amazement……really Tiny, wow. With the big squirrel now out of the way, Tiny ran down the tree with a very satisfied look on his face to the bench and looked at me for some treats. I felt like laughing.

At this point, he’d prefer I place them and then step back, so I do that. However he let me stay and take photos.

This morning was similar. I saw Tiny up in the live tree. So I walked over and called him. First he chased off his sibling, then he chased a big squirrel again. Then he seemed to come down the tree with a very smug and happy look on his face, happy for the good stuff, block and nuts. And again, I was able to take photos of him several times throughout the day.

I’m still quite amused by this lovely turn of everts from him being absent and rather down and out, to quite perky with power.

So I dedicate this entry to anyone who has ever been in a rough place, a tough place, a difficult place; may you come through it into power and full life again.

All photos are of Tiny. Eating, stashing, being ……a wonderful little bundle of squirrel joy.

Tiny is doing very well, has good energy and is out and about a lot, though for one whole day, I hardly saw him at all, did he go elsewhere? He was a little more reserved around big squirrels the other day. There was a group of bigger squirrels out and he refused to come down the live tree. He must know who he can chase and who he needs to respect.

So I tossed a few nuts and Tiny went down the backside and around the bigger ones eating seeds. The bigger ones did not know what the nut tosses were, and just kept eating seeds. Tiny seemed to know that I had tossed nuts, and pounced on them proudly running off with two.

Today I had a nice bonus, I tossed a nut to the sibling of Tiny, and it ran to the shelf fungus and sat up so tall to eat it that I'm pretty sure it is a SHE! So Tiny is a boy and has a sister!

Both photos are of Tiny. Both are sideways. The one shows Tiny hanging from back legs that are working well now. The other he is eating bark.

Tiny is getting bigger...and the sibling of Tiny is too.

Photo of Tiny

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast