Thread: 2-year-old Foxer not eating

Default 2-year-old Foxer not eating

Georgie is 2 years old and has a good healthy appetite until yesterday. He did not eat breakfast nor dinner. He is fed Henry's blocks, Tecklad blocks,
    Baby greens, cauliflower, carrots, sugar snap peas or green beans, and a fruit which is usually blueberries. Of course his diet can change from week to week as I add tomatoes one week or broccoli.
    Yesterday he did not eat his breakfast or his dinner and so far this morning his food has been sitting in his cage for nearly 4 hours and he hasn't touched anything. He won't even eat the Henrys blocks. He is drinking and acting perfectly fine, playing with me and running, jumping, getting snuggles and pets so nothing seems amiss except he's just on a food strike. How long can he go without eating? Any suggestions as to why he's not eating? Thank you.

Default Re: 2-year-old Foxer not eating

What happens if you give him a Big Time treat like a nut? Does he eat THAT?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-21-2022)

[QUOTE=CritterMom;1351567]What happens if you give him a Big Time treat like a nut?

I didn't give him any blueberries yesterday because I thought he was slacking off on his good food and only wanting blueberries. So he didn't get any yesterday or so far today. I am fairly certain that he will eat that if I give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He's refusing dinner so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Georgie still isn't eating.

Do you have access to a vet? Have you checked his teeth? Is his water bottle operational? Something is definitely not right. He might have some type of infection.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (09-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-21-2022)

How is Georgie doing? Have you done what Mel has suggested?
    If he is continuing not to eat the fresh food that is being made available to him; another thing to seriously consider, especially in light of the fact that Georgie has been "drinking and acting perfectly fine," is the possibility that Georgie has a stash of food in his cage. Squirrels can be very ingenious when they hide food and it their nature to do so. I would suggest that you thoroughly search Georgie's entire dwelling, pulling out all his blankets and other stuff, looking into his box or pouch or whatever he has. It can be surprising what can be turned up by a diligent search for stashes. That being said, it is also important to monitor his status and consider a Veterinary visit an option. CritterMom has proposed a sort of an "appetite test" and I would suggest you try that. Giving him a treat when he is apparently not eating anyway would not be detrimental! A stash should be ruled out, however, especially if there are no other changes in his behavior and he is drinking normally and shows no signs of illness.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel