Thread: Newbie Questions: 5-6 Week Old Baby Squirrel (Benny)

Default Newbie Questions: 5-6 Week Old Baby Squirrel (Benny)

Hi All -

My name is Corrie, and 3 days ago a baby Eastern Grey Squirrel approached us in our backyard and started following us around. He is about 5-6 weeks old and can pee/poop on his own. We live in Portland, Oregon and I contacted the Audubon right away and they said that he is most definitely an orphan and if I brought him in they would euthanize him because he is non-native to our area. I also contacted the only other rehabber nearby called Squirrel Refuge and their VM said that they are full of babies right now. Left a message and an email but haven't heard back. Have never cared for a baby squirrel before so I have been doing loads of research, and feeding homemade formula. His name is now Benny. He is now in much better shape and thriving, but I have a couple questions.

1) Diarrhea: He didn't initially have diarrhea but after starting to feed the formula he now does have it. I read this can be because of overfeeding so I am trying to slow him down on the yogurt/goatsmilk/cream/egg yolk formula. Is he old enough to start with some squirrel blocks. If so, how often should I feed formula vs. squirrel blocks. He can gnaw on almonds and cashews just fine and definitely has some teeth in. He is very hungry pretty much all the time and tries to nibble at my fingers and toes.

2) Fleas: Can I treat him with anything for fleas... I have some cat flea pipettes... could he be given a drop or two of this?

3) Eventual Release: I am hoping eventually I will be able to get the Squirrel Refuge to take this guy so he can be socialized and released back to the wild. If not, what issues should I be aware of with continuing to take care of him outside of my house. Will he chew on my stuff? Become a nuisance in other ways? Or continue to be as delightful and adorable as he is now?

I'm committed to him and falling in love with him now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Corrie

Default Re: Newbie Questions: 5-6 Week Old Baby Squirrel (Benny)

Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl78 View Post
    Hi All -

My name is Corrie, and 3 days ago a baby Eastern Grey Squirrel approached us in our backyard and started following us around. He is about 5-6 weeks old and can pee/poop on his own. We live in Portland, Oregon and I contacted the Audubon right away and they said that he is most definitely an orphan and if I brought him in they would euthanize him because he is non-native to our area. I also contacted the only other rehabber nearby called Squirrel Refuge and their VM said that they are full of babies right now. Left a message and an email but haven't heard back. Have never cared for a baby squirrel before so I have been doing loads of research, and feeding homemade formula. His name is now Benny. He is now in much better shape and thriving, but I have a couple questions.

1) Diarrhea: He didn't initially have diarrhea but after starting to feed the formula he now does have it. I read this can be because of overfeeding so I am trying to slow him down on the yogurt/goatsmilk/cream/egg yolk formula. Is he old enough to start with some squirrel blocks. If so, how often should I feed formula vs. squirrel blocks. He can gnaw on almonds and cashews just fine and definitely has some teeth in. He is very hungry pretty much all the time and tries to nibble at my fingers and toes.

2) Fleas: Can I treat him with anything for fleas... I have some cat flea pipettes... could he be given a drop or two of this?

3) Eventual Release: I am hoping eventually I will be able to get the Squirrel Refuge to take this guy so he can be socialized and released back to the wild. If not, what issues should I be aware of with continuing to take care of him outside of my house. Will he chew on my stuff? Become a nuisance in other ways? Or continue to be as delightful and adorable as he is now?

I'm committed to him and falling in love with him now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Corrie

First off you need to have/know the weight on the baby to feed him 5-7% of/ by body weight so you do not overfeed or under feed.
    The Goat's milk formula is only a temporary formula as it does not contain the needed nutrition a squirrel requires.
    Recommendation is either Esbilac powered puppy formula or Fox Valley 20/50. Never use liquid formulas.

Regular unscented dawn dish detergent will kill the fleas. Just dampen a cloth, wipe baby down. Rinse/dry.
    Not all flea meds can be used on squirrels, revolution is about the only safe one. Even using a pipette it's only 1-2 tiny drops to be used on a squirrel.

I'm attaching a link below on baby squirrel care....
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 short pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Correct Esbilac puppy formula:

Fox Valley needs to be ordered:
    https://henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator