Thread: 4-5 week old baby squirrel questions

Default 4-5 week old baby squirrel questions

Hi! I have had a baby squirrel in my care for a little over a week. Mom was killed by a hawk and baby was on the ground. No injuries thank goodness. Thankfully I found this forum quickly after bringing it in and it’s been so much help!

Baby is female (although named Walter, it’s what my husband named it)
    I’m guessing 4 -5 weeks old. Eyes open, bottom teeth fully in, top teeth erupted early this week.
    Began with feeding powdered puppy Esbiliac as it was all I had access too. Now have transitioned to fox valley 20/50. Formula is mixed as instructed, 1 part formula to 2 parts water.

Baby only weighs 55 grams as of this morning, weighing at the same time daily. I’m feeding based on the 7% rule every 4 hours. Baby does not feel bony, having regular poops and pees. Moves around really well, curls tail up. Belly round and soft, no signs of bloating.

Poops are a light gold/beige color, well formed, soft. Pee is clear.

My questions:
    1. Baby seems small based on other threads I have read, should I increase food/number of feedings?
    2. Now that Walter has teeth, is there anything I need to introduce into her area. She’s in a clear plastic tub with old t shirts and a heating pad that is only half the container.
    3. Any other advice is welcome. I have never rescued a baby squirrel, no rehabbers in the area that would take Walty at this time. Just trying to do everything I can and do it right.

I tried to read other threads and answer as many questions as I could up front. We do not plan on keeping Walter as a pet, although I would love to.

Default Re: 4-5 week old baby squirrel questions

Quote Originally Posted by leigh1104 View Post
    Hi! I have had a baby squirrel in my care for a little over a week. Mom was killed by a hawk and baby was on the ground. No injuries thank goodness. Thankfully I found this forum quickly after bringing it in and it’s been so much help!

Baby is female (although named Walter, it’s what my husband named it)
    I’m guessing 4 -5 weeks old. Eyes open, bottom teeth fully in, top teeth erupted early this week.
    Began with feeding powdered puppy Esbiliac as it was all I had access too. Now have transitioned to fox valley 20/50. Formula is mixed as instructed, 1 part formula to 2 parts water.

Baby only weighs 55 grams as of this morning, weighing at the same time daily. I’m feeding based on the 7% rule every 4 hours. Baby does not feel bony, having regular poops and pees. Moves around really well, curls tail up. Belly round and soft, no signs of bloating.

Poops are a light gold/beige color, well formed, soft. Pee is clear.

My questions:
    1. Baby seems small based on other threads I have read, should I increase food/number of feedings?
    2. Now that Walter has teeth, is there anything I need to introduce into her area. She’s in a clear plastic tub with old t shirts and a heating pad that is only half the container.
    3. Any other advice is welcome. I have never rescued a baby squirrel, no rehabbers in the area that would take Walty at this time. Just trying to do everything I can and do it right.

I tried to read other threads and answer as many questions as I could up front. We do not plan on keeping Walter as a pet, although I would love to.
    Feeding 55 grams @ 7% would be 3.85 cc's/mls.
    The baby's weight resembles that of a 2-3 week old which would be eating every 3 hours.
    You can try feeding every 3 hrs or you could try increasing the amount of formula very slowly making sure the bowels stay stable either way.
    If they start to go soft correct the change.
    Posting a picture could help us to help you assess the baby's correct age if that is in question.

Below I'm attaching the link on baby squirrel care,
    Go to this link this can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 short pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thanks so much. I will try to get a good picture tomorrow. I have the Henry’s pamphlet saved to my browser!
    I weigh Walter first thing in the morning prior to first feeding so I have a good baseline. I will update weight in the morning along with a picture.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to leigh1104 from:

stepnstone (09-17-2022)

Having the same issue. Rehab must be slammed. Really don't want to raise a singleton in the fall but I guess I will if I have to. I am in South Carolina and I have one that is almost 6 weeks old. I'm starting to give up on finding her siblings to go to and hoping one of these full rehabbers will get back to me If someone has another single baby her age. Looks like I'll be rehabbing this winter. Usually only do spring babies past 7 weeks. Good luck with her! That Henry's link is pretty detailed and will get you started!

Hi Sommer,
    This is my first baby squirrel so I have been a complete helicopter parent as my husband says. Walter is gaining weight like crazy since I took the advice mentioned above and began feeding every 3 - 3 1/2 hours and got great gains with no issues. Still small, only weighing 67 grams this morning but overall seems healthy. I can't feel the spine or pelvic bones protruding, ribs feel normal. Eyes are bright and lots of movement around her container. Abdomen is rounded and soft. Poops and pees are still normal. Great appetite. She has both upper and lower teeth and is starting to gnaw so I have Henry's Healthy Rodent Blocks coming Saturday and going to buy a water bottle tomorrow.

I need to locate a rehabber for a proper release. I worry about doing that myself. I know that is still a long way off but I want it done right to give her the best chance possible. Of course I would be perfectly happy having a house squirrel but I know that is not an option nor is it fair to Walter.

I am so grateful for this forum. I have worked in healthcare for a long while but baby animals are not like humans. They can't speak for themselves. I just want to do everything I can and do it right. It would kill me if I caused her harm or worse.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to leigh1104 from:

Sommer (09-22-2022)

Sounds like you're really taking to this and doing a great job! Maybe she's just a lean little girl. I know my girl when I got her 4 days ago was in her fifth week and you could tell him just opened her eyes within a day or so. She was 65g, so tiny too. She's been putting on about five grams a day. It's been a long time since I've lived somewhere where I've been able to soft release but I do now. We have 8 acres surrounded by so much more. We've got fruit trees lots of nut trees so it's a great place for them. It is difficult releasing a single baby. Requires a lot more time and attention to getting them ready. And spring is more forgiving than winter. Which is why I am really trying to find a litter mate for her. I was hoping someone could take this one but I'm also willing to take on another. Just no luck so far. I sure wish we lived closer together and I'd be happy to take your baby. This site is a wealth of information though and if you've got plenty of time it is possible to release a single squirrel, just not the best case scenario.

I would like to add though, if you're able to, you might want to find somewhere for her before release time. By the time they're old enough for release it will be a bit harder to integrate her with other squirrels if she is not introduced to them young enough. Being able to grow up knowing squirrel helps them tremendously so by the time it's time for release it will be more difficult for her and whoever's releasing her then if she were placed a little younger.

And no keeping her as a pet would not be fair to her. It would also not be fair to you. They're quite a handful as they get older. My little girl from the spring is an adult now and she is a firecracker. She would be an awful pet. Seems to be serving her well out in the trees and now I only get visits every week or so. But I see her chucking and chasing the other squirrels. She is not a social butterfly, probably from being a single baby. Hopefully it will keep her from getting knocked up until next year lol

LOL! That's so funny....she sounds like me. I don't much like people either. I work from home now since I got out of the clinic and I LOVE IT! Which has been good because I can care for Walter all day long. LOL. What part of SC are you close to?
    I am going to call a few rehabbers that are further away from where I live. I agree that she needs proper socialization with other squirrels. I will keep trying. I may have to harass you into meeting me half way so I can bring you the little turd. I don't want to wait too long and end up causing issues for her or the rehabber.
    I made it this far with her and have kept her alive and healthy. I am a researcher and made myself crazy reading as much as I could as fast as I could.

Lol I am the same way. I was taught by a rehaber 25 years ago. But my goodness what I learned back then is so outdated now. Constant research. Also had a holistic pet supply store/ self serve dog wash and did grooming for 12 years. Soooo much research I actually inspired one of my clients who was a family practice Dr to open a holistic med practice when he retired. I have a grooming shop at home on our property now. My husband is going to North Augusta Augusta and Evans on Monday for work. That is as close as we'll be to you in the near future. How far is that for you? Sounds like you have a knack for learning and quite some ability! Thats your first baby squirrel and there really is so much more to it! There are so many sad stories that show most do not do so well at first. My first litter was 25+ years ago, we found three maybe two days old in the Christmas tree we cut down! Two survived and were soft released. One I killed with aspiration pneumonia. Never happened again though, I learned! I've never lost one since. That being said, a baby that is already sick or injured I typically turn over due to emergency resource needs.

PS, I've come to find that most people who are involved more deeply with animals, in general, are not always so much people people. 😂🤣

Outside of Columbia SC
    Here's my baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've joined a few groups on Facebook and I'm trying to look around everywhere I can think of. Did speak to someone on there and share your plight. Did not want to share any more than location but told them to look for you on here so maybe someone will contact you who's close by and can help!

Having better luck in your state than in mine lol maybe head a post that says need help in...