Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help finding wildlife rehab for orphan squirrel spokane washington.

Default Re: Help please!!! What should I do? Stimulating and nothing is coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Help509 View Post
    She I keep feeding formula even tgough it's been 48 hrs and no poop or pee noticed?
    I'm sorry your post has not yet been answered! How is your little Squirrel doing now? How are you stimulating your Squirrel? Usually a cotton ball, a q-tip or the corner of a tissue that is bunched together, a small soft cloth (or similar) usually works fine. It should be moistened with warm water and gently rubbed across your Squirrels genitals. Usually several seconds of this is all that is required. Is your Squirrel's abdomen tense or distended (sticking out)? Is your Squirrel still drinking formula? If abdomen is soft and your Squirrel is still drinking formula and is active and not in apparent distress, I wonder if maybe your Squirrel has peed but it since this is usually a few drops and not a stream of urine is it possible that urination went unnoticed. As far a pooping, this may take some time after transition to a formula but 48 hours most can be expected to poop. The bottom line (no pun intended) is that a very young baby Squirrel must be successfully stimulated to urinate and defecate. We need to identify and correct the the issues that are responsible for this not occurring. That also brings up some other questions: What is the history of your Squirrel (found abandoned, fell or whatever), approximately how old is your Squirrel? What are you feeding and how much and how often? What is your Squirrel's weight. Have you been the caregiver for a baby squirrel before this? Can you upload a photo of your Baby?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Help509 (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Help please!!! What should I do? Stimulating and nothing is coming out?

Hello again:
    I just noticed that this thread is the 3rd thread you have started in the past week; which is certainly OK but...are these three threads about the same Squirrel? If so, it would probably be best if they could be combined into a single thread and from then on, any question, comments, or whatever you would like to post regarding this little Squirrel would be in the same place. When there are multiple threads started for the same Squirrel or the same issues; it becomes very difficult for a potential responder to be aware of what is contained in the other threads or even be aware that the other threads exist and it can make it difficult for you to keep up as well. Again, I would suggest that these threads be combined (an Admin would need to do this) and then we would have all the communication about this little Squirrel occur only within a single thread. Rather than start a new thread with each new concern or issue about the same Squirrel, my suggestion would be to just post these new issues/concerns on the one thread. This practice will help ensure that potential responders will have continuity and a thorough understanding of your Squirrels history before they post.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Help509 (09-20-2022), island rehabber (09-20-2022), Tashahaven (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Need help finding wildlife rehab for orphan squirrel spokane washington.

Good suggestion, Sam -- I should have done this awhile back.
    Help509, all your separate threads are now merged into this one thread. This way we have a timeline and a place where all the different facts about your squirrel are combined.
    I personally don't give dosing info here because, frankly, I suck at it. Hopefully another Admin will help you shortly. In the meantime we can all keep up with what's going on much more easily now.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Help509 (09-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I'm sorry your post has not yet been answered! How is your little Squirrel doing now? How are you stimulating your Squirrel? Usually a cotton ball, a q-tip or the corner of a tissue that is bunched together, a small soft cloth (or similar) usually works fine. It should be moistened with warm water and gently rubbed across your Squirrels genitals. Usually several seconds of this is all that is required. Is your Squirrel's abdomen tense or distended (sticking out)? Is your Squirrel still drinking formula? If abdomen is soft and your Squirrel is still drinking formula and is active and not in apparent distress, I wonder if maybe your Squirrel has peed but it since this is usually a few drops and not a stream of urine is it possible that urination went unnoticed. As far a pooping, this may take some time after transition to a formula but 48 hours most can be expected to poop. The bottom line (no pun intended) is that a very young baby Squirrel must be successfully stimulated to urinate and defecate. We need to identify and correct the the issues that are responsible for this not occurring. That also brings up some other questions: What is the history of your Squirrel (found abandoned, fell or whatever), approximately how old is your Squirrel? What are you feeding and how much and how often? What is your Squirrel's weight. Have you been the caregiver for a baby squirrel before this? Can you upload a photo of your Baby?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thanks so much to both of you admits for merging these threads and being so helpful instead of scolding me for creating multiple threads. This has been stressful, as this is most definitely the first time I have cared for a squirrel; or any living creature other than a cat for that matter!!

The squirrel seems to be doing good. I read about the bloat and tried to ween him onto the goats milk formula after hydrating him. (He had 6 second tent time, now around 2 secs) He appeared in good health when I found him after falling at least 35 feet out 100 or more foot pine tree in the neighbors yard. He crawled across their yard and through a chain link fence then across my driveway. He ended up setting up on my grass edge and burrowed in. I knew nothing about squirrels other than maybe the mom would come back. I believed the myth that if I touched it the mom would not get it and the neighbor/me decided to leave it so the mom would hopefully get it. I regret not googling a bit more the first day and night...

His eyes were/are still closed but he was fully furred. He ended up spending all day out there at about 80 degrees, but unfortunately we just let him sit out there all night and it got down to like 55 or less. I also forgot about him and my sprinkler system turned on at 5 am. The fiancé and I got up and about 7 and realized it was wet out there and he might not have been picked up. Sure enough he was still there...soaked and freezing.

I brought him in and immediately put him on a heatpack and starting googling. 3 hours later I had enough information to understand all my mistakes and try to correct them. I bought a plastic bin and the "never off" heatpad with fleece baby blankets. I made homemade goats milk recipe and ordered syringes with nipples. I tried to find local rehabbers.

He seems very healthy despite his near death experience. He weighed 118 grams when I found him. He now weighs 138. His stomach has been a bit distended but shortly after I made that post about him not being stimulated he pooped on me while I was hydrating him. I haven't been able to stimulate poop yet, but I have been able to stimulate pee a few times.

This morning (20 minutes ago) I stimulated but nothing happened before I went to feed because I read your post and didn't want to bloat him or rupture his bladder. I massaged his belly with light pressure and he started to pee about 10 or more drops and I could feel the pressure in his belly go down! I had tried sitz baths to his armpits and light stimulation but that hasn't worked.

I was considering going to the store today to get some apple/prune juice and a couple drops of gas x? Please advise!?

I'm using the chart to feed and based on his weight and he should be eating about 8cc per feeding, but he is only eating 5 to 7cc per feeding before he stops sucking and I definitely didn't want to keep going and give him AP. He always perks up after feeding and seems to be agressive in feeding (I have to hold his hind legs back so he just is on the tip of the syringe and not deepthroating the thing!

I have ordered Henry's healthy blocks and 50/20 formula as well.

I have been hydrating in between feedings with about 1 to 2 cc of water which is all he will drink of water.

I will upload pics asap!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Help509:

Mel1959 (09-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Dosing help please for amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium oral suspension (fel

Quote Originally Posted by Help509 View Post
    Probably 2 weeks ago. I got for my cat then.

The squirrel is 118g and hasn't opened its eyes yet.
    Do you believe he has Aspiration Pneumonia and needs antibiotics or are you just asking about dosing as a general question? Since dosing is weight dependent we typically dose it whan it is needed since the babies are growing and adding weight so quickly.

Clavamox suspension is generally stable for about 14 days. It starts to lose efficacy after that.. but hand onto it since it is better than nothing. But still ask family friends and neighbors to see if you cannot locate something that is "fresher". Tablets work fine, we'll provide instructions on how to suspend the medication properly. And if it is an option you can order Baytril on-line to have on hand just in case....

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Help509 (09-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Need help finding wildlife rehab for orphan squirrel spokane washington.

Well, just had another milestone.

After the end of morning feeding his left eye partially opened and I watched it happen. He saw for the first time and his body tensed up a bit and he was like "whoa wtf?!".

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Help509 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Default Re: Dosing help please for amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium oral suspension (fel

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Do you believe he has Aspiration Pneumonia and needs antibiotics or are you just asking about dosing as a general question? Since dosing is weight dependent we typically dose it whan it is needed since the babies are growing and adding weight so quickly.

Clavamox suspension is generally stable for about 14 days. It starts to lose efficacy after that.. but hand onto it since it is better than nothing. But still ask family friends and neighbors to see if you cannot locate something that is "fresher". Tablets work fine, we'll provide instructions on how to suspend the medication properly. And if it is an option you can order Baytril on-line to have on hand just in case....
    I was trying to be prepared in case he got it. I'll keep asking friends and family, but no luck so far!

How do I add pictures? I click on the photo thing and it brings up a box. I select the photo then it gives me not option that I can see to upload the pic!

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Help509 (09-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Has the baby pottied yet? I was also going to add that if you get your faucet going on warm with a small stream and cup the baby in your hands using a thumb to keep his head away from the water creating essentially a hot tub sometimes that warm bath helps and you can also trickle the water over his genitals to help stimulate without irritation when you're trying to get it to go and it's not happening quickly. The one I have now is one of the few I've not had to do that with upon the initial transition to formula. It helps a lot.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sommer from:

Help509 (09-23-2022)

R u willing to travel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12