Thread: Q for LICENSED REHABBERS ONLY PLEASE: Right environment for soft release??

Default Q for LICENSED REHABBERS ONLY PLEASE: Right environment for soft release??

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process now of getting my wildlife rehabilitator license, and I'm determined to do it, but it's been a struggle finding a property in southeastern PA where a township will easily allow it.

The search for a property has been like finding a needle in a haystack, so when I finally find something that *might* work, I get really excited.

Below are some pictures from one of the properties I'm looking at. Is this considered an acceptable environment for soft release of gray squirrels? Two sides are bordered by corn fields, and it's not the large amount of thick patches of trees that I ideally look for, but there are still what appear to be a good amt. of mature trees.

Obviously I want to give the squirrels I raise/release a good chance at survival.

Thoughts??

Name:  Screenshot 2022-09-16 213035 1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  146.8 KB

Name:  squirrel rehab 2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  82.2 KB

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Q for LICENSED REHABBERS ONLY PLEASE: Right environment for soft release??

Who are you working with? I too am in SEPA. I am the Founder/ED/CWR at Acorn Acres Wildlife Rehabilitation.

The pics worry me a little...open fields and lack of continuous trees. Those fields are inviting the aerial predators...honestly, the fox are going to be hunting those fields as well. Which species are you looking to work with specifically? Possibly look into a remote release site for the squirrels if you are also looking to do the other species.

If I had it to do all over again, go for the forests...release your babies in the forest, not a patch of trees.
    Watching your babies be carried away by some flying predator is gut wrenching...or finding their tails in the yard after a GHO picked them off at dawn.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

astra (09-18-2022), Diggie's Friend (09-18-2022)

Default Looking for someone to take a 3 week old in Ellijay

Need some to take 1 squirrel in the Ellijay, Ga area.

Default Re: Q for LICENSED REHABBERS ONLY PLEASE: Right environment for soft release??

Hello jakid709, your best bet for someone to take your squirrel is to reach out to a licensed member who is north of Atlanta. Here’s the website link https://cummingnuthouse.com/ Please keep the baby warm until you can transfer.

Default Re: Looking for someone to take a 3 week old in Ellijay

Quote Originally Posted by jakid709 View Post
    If you can get it to Columbia I can take another one. I am not licensed, it is not required in our state but I have been doing squirrels for 25 years very successfully. I know everyone is different about how they go about things but throwing it out there because I'm kind of in dire straits too. I don't want to overwinter a baby by itself so I'm looking mostly for somewhere for her to go but, I will happily commit if she has a buddy or two

Default Re: Looking for someone to take a 3 week old in Ellijay

Quote Originally Posted by jakid709 View Post
    -5 and 1/2 weeks, how old is your squirrel?