Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bird banquet mineral block

Default Re: bird banquet mineral block,

Thanks, yes its def the one with the cute white puppy, in fact I might go get a few of these to stock up as read that I can give them formula, in a bowl, even after they are successfully transitioned to the forest.

Henry's blocks arrived today and they LOVE the hazelnut ones. Ozzy even stole Ash's half and sat on it whilst he ate his own. He is only just learning the sitting up and eating with hands so he propped himself up against his box and stuck his feet out like a bear , (ill try to upload a pic)

The bones they were disgusted with lol. Guess they still smell of meat. Will get a couple more tiny antlers.

Guessing I just keep up the 4 feeds for now, along with a block a day. They have started to sometimes not want to be out of their cage whilst feeding and fight desperately to get back in but will feed more from in there! Assuming their wildness is kicking in.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Funny thing you mention Esbilac. The packaging with the all white puppy dated 11/2021 or later is fine. However, they made some (minor?) formula changes and that is the new packaging with the multi-colored puppy on the label.

We have no reason at this point to be concerned, nutritional analysis is comparable... but we are always very leery when these changes occur so we are on the look-out for any issues.

Knotted fleece is good. Bones are fine, but they are really young and they will not get any meaningful calcium form the morrow bones at this point. Continue to formula feed for as long as they will take it. I'd cut a single Henry's in two for now... they will shred and make a mess for quite a while before they start actually eating the block. After they are eating the block... and only after.. start to introduce healthy veggies; about a week after they are eating the bloc, yes (5 - 9 days).

Default Re: Other ways to give them formula suggestions

Hey guys, can anyone suggest an alternative to the syringe for their formula. They have both gotten to the stage where they will take 1cc or so and then fight to climb back to their cage. They might take a couple more inside (which was hard if Ozzy is still hungry as Ash doesn't get a chance) but are more interested in playing or eating the syringe than taking their milk.

I read a few people trying jar lids and both our guys have taken to being able to lap up milk but still stick their right noses in, & paws & tails lol (I try not to make it too deep but then can't add much) but then its a 'Curious George' moment of the entire cage, bedding, hammock and plastic bed being painted with tiny milky paw prints and mouth marks!!

Still giving them warm block which they liked at first but sometimes even that isn't enticing enough, to stop playing, but I just leave them to it and try with the milk/block at the next feeding.

They are still putting weight on and are both 240g - 260g and I calculate that they must be around 8-9 weeks old now so assuming its them possibly wanting to wean but I think the formula is so important still. I will keep trying the syringe (maybe Ill order the 3cc's next time) and small bits of formula in a jam jar lid plus I read some pretty cool recipes on here which I think you guys call boo block which might work to incorporate both.

I have added a water bottle to the cage because of the block and some water has gone missing from it though didn't see them drinking and no other food has been given yet so its not like they are holding out for better.

Sorry I think after re-reading all this, that I've answered my own question lol but you never know someone may have another genius suggestion I haven't thought of.

Again (as always), thanks for your time and expertise!
    Chris

Default Weaning and slight weight drop issue

They are LOVING their block!!!! Just given a bit of broccoli and brussel too.

They seem very happy but I am still worried about them not eating enough formula, has anyone done a comparison on the amount of formula that an 8/9 week old squirrel should eat per day vs 2 HHB's and veggies? Ozzy has def lost a bit of weight in the last day but ash weighs the same and they weigh a similar amount now. He was at 12cc per feeding but will only chew the syringe now and take a couple. He will take a few cc's from a dish, when reminded.

Ash is still taking about 4 or 5 cc via syringe and will also lap from the dish but this is nowhere near what they were eating formula wise. They do like the block though not sure how much they are eating and crumbling, is this small weight loss normal? Do they stablilize their weight once they decide to start weaning and eating more block instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Weaning and slight weight drop issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkbradders View Post
    They are LOVING their block!!!! Just given a bit of broccoli and brussel too.

They seem very happy but I am still worried about them not eating enough formula, has anyone done a comparison on the amount of formula that an 8/9 week old squirrel should eat per day vs 2 HHB's and veggies? Ozzy has def lost a bit of weight in the last day but ash weighs the same and they weigh a similar amount now. He was at 12cc per feeding but will only chew the syringe now and take a couple. He will take a few cc's from a dish, when reminded.

Ash is still taking about 4 or 5 cc via syringe and will also lap from the dish but this is nowhere near what they were eating formula wise. They do like the block though not sure how much they are eating and crumbling, is this small weight loss normal? Do they stablilize their weight once they decide to start weaning and eating more block instead?
    Thanks so much for the updates and photos! Your little ones look great; thanks to your care! Are you using Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB)? It is important to know that two of these block contain all of the Calcium and other mineral and vitamins that make up one day's recommended dietary intake. It also has appropriate fat, carbohydrate and protein. These blocks are a complete and concentrated daily nutritional source. They should never be free-fed. Give only 2 to 3 per day for each Squirrel and opt for 3 only if your your Squirrel's are wasting some of the blocks. Early on a healthy baby Squirrel that is being weaned and transitioned to block will completely destroy the block and who knows how much or if any they may be consuming. If either of them begin to eat essentially the entire block, give only 2. You can supplement the HHB with other high quality rodent blocks such as Envigo (Harlan-Teklad) 2018 or Mazuri Rat and Mouse diet and the foods from Henry's Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels pyramid
    ( https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/ ).

They will wean themselves. Please offer the formula until the Squirrels decide they no longer want it and keep trying for several days after that becomes evident because some "change their minds" and decide they would like to continue with the formula a while longer. It may be that the weight might take a small decrease from one day to the next but really, they should still be trending toward weight gain. At this young age and relative immaturity, they should never have their weight trending as as a loss! Treat each Squirrel individually in the weaning process. One may want formula for a longer period than the other.

You are doing a great job raising these Little Ones!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

island rehabber (10-02-2022), Tashahaven (10-09-2022)

Thanks so much, yep Henrys pecan and hazelnut blocks, I have only been giving two a day cut in half but they are def still wasting lots of the block as there is always a pile where they sit.

You are also right as I kept just following them around the cage, since posting this, and Ash decided that he would quite like the syringe still after a few days off (he's pretty particular about not getting messy and I don't think he liked all the mess from drinking it out of the dish lol) Both of them actually use a little take away lid toilet!!! Ozzy saw Ash taking the syringe still and now also takes a few cc by hand and keeps running to see if there is any in his dish too so I'm doing both. I am glad they are back on the formula, though still not quite at the level they were at. Weight gain is def back on the climb too. (phew!)

Only problem now is that Ozzy has developed a fear of the scales, we MAY have called him 'a little chunky monkey' in the past and I think he feels we are fat shaming him lol so WILL NOT allow me to put him on them??? I will have to resort to gardening gloves and full suit of armor. I guess in the future a small treat whilst he sits on the scale might be in order but we are still restricting them to formula, block and veggies. I will look into the Mazuri if they start to refuse their milk again as have kaytee but heard that isn't nutritional enough so don't give it anymore and will probably turn it into homemade block eventually!

Rgs Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks so much for the updates and photos! Your little ones look great; thanks to your care! Are you using Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB)? It is important to know that two of these block contain all of the Calcium and other mineral and vitamins that make up one day's recommended dietary intake. It also has appropriate fat, carbohydrate and protein. These blocks are a complete and concentrated daily nutritional source. They should never be free-fed. Give only 2 to 3 per day for each Squirrel and opt for 3 only if your your Squirrel's are wasting some of the blocks. Early on a healthy baby Squirrel that is being weaned and transitioned to block will completely destroy the block and who knows how much or if any they may be consuming. If either of them begin to eat essentially the entire block, give only 2. You can supplement the HHB with other high quality rodent blocks such as Envigo (Harlan-Teklad) 2018 or Mazuri Rat and Mouse diet and the foods from Henry's Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels pyramid
    ( https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/ ).

They will wean themselves. Please offer the formula until the Squirrels decide they no longer want it and keep trying for several days after that becomes evident because some "change their minds" and decide they would like to continue with the formula a while longer. It may be that the weight might take a small decrease from one day to the next but really, they should still be trending toward weight gain. At this young age and relative immaturity, they should never have their weight trending as as a loss! Treat each Squirrel individually in the weaning process. One may want formula for a longer period than the other.

You are doing a great job raising these Little Ones!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Only problem now is that Ozzy has developed a fear of the scales, we MAY have called him 'a little chunky monkey' in the past and I think he feels we are fat shaming him lol so WILL NOT allow me to put him on them??? I will have to resort to gardening gloves and full suit of armor. I guess in the future a small treat whilst he sits on the scale might be in order but we are still restricting them to formula, block and veggies. I will look into the Mazuri if they start to refuse their milk again as have kaytee but heard that isn't nutritional enough so don't give it anymore and will probably turn it into homemade block eventually!

Rgs Chris
    There is an easy way to do this! Put Ozzy in a box that you have previously weighed and then weigh the box with Ozzy in it. Subtract the weight of the box and you will have Ozzy's weight without any trauma to Ozzy (or you!)
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Default Re: bird banquet mineral block

Both of them do look beautiful -- good job!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (10-15-2022)

There is an easy way to do this! Put Ozzy in a box that you have previously weighed and then weigh the box with Ozzy in it. Subtract the weight of the box and you will have Ozzy's weight without any trauma to Ozzy (or you!)
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Just a clarification; this obviously doesn't need to be a "box!" Any container that will safely and effectively hold Ozzy during the weighing will work for this. The important concern is that your scales need to be able to accurately (to the gram) weigh the container under both conditions; with and without Ozzy!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Oops thanks for this as haven't logged on in a while.

Hahaha I will have to send a video of me trying to put Ozzy anywhere he doesn't want to go. (my arms look like a halloween serial killer movie) lol. I resorted to putting the scale on the counter next to their cage and eventually after thinking they had escaped they would run over to pick up their block and sit on it to eat!

Both have now def gone off the syringe (just after I bought a new pack) so I just top up a clay saucer, on a shelf in their cage and they seem to be drinking it at leisure and their water bottle is getting emptied so all good. Just working on prep for an outdoor release cage / home if they wish to keep using it but have a few weeks yet before they need that though they def are wanting out with us at every feeding now. Ozzy Loves commando crawling over my husbands upside-down bike tyre as likes the tread scuffing his tummy lol.

Loving their block though still shredding most of it and Ash likes veggies but Ozzy takes his and pushes them back through the cage bars so still holding off nuts and fruit for now.

Rgs Chris

Just a clarification; this obviously doesn't need to be a "box!" Any container that will safely and effectively hold Ozzy during the weighing will work for this. The important concern is that your scales need to be able to accurately (to the gram) weigh the container under both conditions; with and without Ozzy!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dinkbradders from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-09-2022)

Default Wilding up and poop by the 100's

Name:  1220CEDA-3879-4A02-AF57-59D5E08AC640.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  140.3 KBName:  E91C492A-BE5F-487C-8E10-A5BE853D342C.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  111.9 KBName:  60A5BFB1-FD68-49CA-B62A-FC8A5284C2F3.jpg
Size:  62.5 KBBoth little monsters have started growling occasionally. Ash over his blocks and Ozzy if I go in and disturb them to check the cage after 11!
    Guess it's all good as natural and will serve them better when eventually released. Ash did draw blood when my husband went into see them but maybe they were sleeping or had a block stashed (not sure) but it's a great reminder to him and the kids that they are wild animals still and not to take it to heart!

Wanted to ask if it's normal for them to drop 100 poop pellets when playing? I think they save it all up! (If poop was worth gold lol)

Sorry don't know how to turn pics

Default Re: Wilding up and poop by the 100's

Name:  1220CEDA-3879-4A02-AF57-59D5E08AC640.jpg
Size:  140.3 KBName:  E91C492A-BE5F-487C-8E10-A5BE853D342C.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  111.9 KBName:  60A5BFB1-FD68-49CA-B62A-FC8A5284C2F3.jpg
Size:  62.5 KBBoth little monsters have started growling occasionally. Ash over his blocks and Ozzy if I go in and disturb them to check the cage after 11!
    Guess it's all good as natural and will serve them better when eventually released. Ash did draw blood when my husband went into see them but maybe they were sleeping or had a block stashed (not sure) but it's a great reminder to him and the kids that they are wild animals still and not to take it to heart!

Wanted to ask if it's normal for them to drop 100 poop pellets when playing? I think they save it all up! (If poop was worth gold lol)

Sorry don't know how to turn pics
    Those are two cute little Squirrels! Thanks for all that you have done for them and continue to do for them. Squirrels are easy to love! As far as the pooping goes; it may be a record or it may not. I had to shovel out some poop a couple of years ago contributed by three little Squirrels overnight but I I didn't count them as you did so I can't legitimately one-up-ya! On a more subdued note, I'm sure all is fine with your Squirrels, poop and all! An old retired rehabber once told that Squirrels in the release cage frequently play poker together and use poop as chips (I guess they are Squirrel chips after all!) but I only half believe him because I can never find the little cards they would need to use. I'm sure this response was very helpful but I had to do it!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (10-15-2022), Dinkbradders (10-21-2022)

Best to go with the untreated deer antlers, as commonly available cow bones for dogs were found to be treated with a toxic chemical.

They aren't even recommended for dogs as they splinter, that presents a serious health hazard.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-15-2022)

Default Boo ball amount question and dophilus powder?

So the boys are both now in their much larger outdoor cage!!! They've got a full length curtain, tyre swing and branches so are getting much more exercise, so just wondering how many boo balls they should be receiving. I noticed that some on here say 2-3 but others say as many as they want?

I had run out of Henry's so ground the Mazuri with equal formula and nuts (Wal and pecan but will do almonds and hazel next) then added apple sauce and coconut oil to bind, baked for an hour on 215 and they are loving it. I did add a tsp of multi vitamins without D3.

I popped into Whole Foods but could only find Jarrow Dophilus, Fem Dophilus and Ultra Dophilus which had diff ingredients so was confused as which to get. I already have some fortiflora, provable-DC for dogs and Saccharomyces Boulardii (from when my cat got cancer). Does anyone know if these would work as a good probiotic? or at least could anyone provide of pic of the Dophilus they use for their boo balls.

I think I will continue adding the formula as they aren't really touching the saucer of milk anymore so at least this gets good calcium in them and they are still picky with their veggies (though I do cabbages, Broc, beet greens, mushrooms, cauli, boc choy, celery, kale, dand greens, radish, asp) I even tried toms and carrots but they still aren't fussed)
    I might try to blitz a few bits in the next batch of Boo balls with slightly less nuts! Guess I don't need calcium powder (without D3) if I continue with the formula?

I have also read mixed info as to if these boo balls can be fed as their staple, instead of henrys. They have been outside for a week so have around 3 weeks to go before we add an opening to the cage but I want to still put food in their daily in case they still wan't to use the cage as a base and get hungry.

Thx

p.s. Yesterday my old, uncaring cat found me at the cage (whilst the boys used my body as the most fun exercise toy) so Ozzy chirped a bit and an outside squirrel started answering him, from the tree above, which freaked him out for a while and both boys huddled up in the nesting box but nice to see nature taking over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AAAARGHHH why do my pics always end up sideways?

AAAARGHHH why do my pics always end up sideways?
    Nice set up 👍
    My pics go sideways unless I first edit each photo, even if you just crop it a little then they come out right, go figure🤔🤷
    That's more work and most everyone uses their phones so it's easy to just turn phone to see 😁
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12