Thread: Red Bumps?? 2-3 week old baby

Default Red Bumps?? 2-3 week old baby

Hi! This little girl and I have been through quite the week! We’ve gone from liquid ebsilac diarrhea for a day or two, Pedialyte day flush, not taking to nutrients in GMF so actually losing weight and dehydrated. I finally got Ebsilac powdered formula with probiotics and she seems better. BUT now she has these red bumps all over her. And in the past few hours they’ve gotten worse. I wasn’t sure if this was life threatening but I have no idea what it is so I figured better safe than sorry.

Things I think it could be- she had dry skin from the dehydration, so I was putting coconut oil on her skin 2X a day. But since have stopped.. they started today and I haven’t put any more on her. But they’ve been getting worse so I don’t think it’s that.

Also, I switched from my dish soap to Dr. Bronners because I thought that would have less chemicals (the other had fragrance) but maybe it’s too concentrated and irritated her?

And last but I really hope it’s not this- maybe she’s allergic to the formula? It did start right after I started giving it to her. But I really hope it’s not that because it seems to be the only thing giving her the nutrients she needs. If I can’t give her that... what should I do? She didn’t take to GMF!

Maybe Staph I was reading? Will attach pictures so the experts can advise. I much appreciate it. This girl has been through a lot. Name:  3896BDD2-61A8-40B7-A20E-3C45BE1F0C56.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  67.9 KBName:  89F34049-6368-4E19-A773-088D2725A1E0.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  60.4 KBName:  B4ACB462-0487-48D2-BE29-F89A630F66C2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  68.8 KB

Default Re: Red Bumps?? 2-3 week old baby

Edit- I don’t actually think it’s the formula... thank god! Because my uncle just reminded me that she had a few of them this morning, before I started feeding her that formula... but since they’ve definitely gotten worse! Any ideas?? Thank you!!

Looks like ant bites 🤷
    I really don't know however I'm wondering why your using any soap on her, I would stop that and possibly use a little cortisone cream on the red spots.

Hopefully someone here will have more information👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-13-2022)

It could very well be staph - it is everywhere in the environment just waiting for lowered immune systems from stuff like losing your mom to move in.

Buy a bottle of 10% povidone iodine. Betadyne is the name brand but most drug stores have their own brand a few dollars cheaper. It works on humans as well as it works on squirrels, BTW.

Make a dilution - 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water, and use a cotton ball or the like to wipe down all areas with ANY bumps. For a baby that size I would warm the solution up a bit, wipe her down, then leave her damp but snuggle her down in her bed on the heating pad so she doesn't chill while it dries. It doesn't burn or sting at all and won't hurt if she licks or someone else does. It might dye her a little orange! If this is staph the betadyne will wipe it out really fast. I would wipe her down twice a day and would expect things to be looking better in a couple days.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (09-13-2022), Diggie's Friend (09-13-2022), JLM27 (09-15-2022), NewSquirrelMama222 (09-13-2022), SugarMom (09-13-2022)

They don’t look like the ant bites Sisu had (you can check post history for the pics) but hydrocortisone and veteicyn are your friend if they are.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tiniest from:

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Looks like ant bites 🤷
    I really don't know however I'm wondering why your using any soap on her, I would stop that and possibly use a little cortisone cream on the red spots.

Hopefully someone here will have more information👍
    Oh, I meant on my hands! I wash my hands every time before I hold her... haha! But I switched them because I thought the fragrance might bother her but Dr Bronners is SO potent... thank you for the information!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NewSquirrelMama222 from:

Charley Chuckles (09-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It could very well be staph - it is everywhere in the environment just waiting for lowered immune systems from stuff like losing your mom to move in.

Buy a bottle of 10% povidone iodine. Betadyne is the name brand but most drug stores have their own brand a few dollars cheaper. It works on humans as well as it works on squirrels, BTW.

Make a dilution - 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water, and use a cotton ball or the like to wipe down all areas with ANY bumps. For a baby that size I would warm the solution up a bit, wipe her down, then leave her damp but snuggle her down in her bed on the heating pad so she doesn't chill while it dries. It doesn't burn or sting at all and won't hurt if she licks or someone else does. It might dye her a little orange! If this is staph the betadyne will wipe it out really fast. I would wipe her down twice a day and would expect things to be looking better in a couple days.
    Do you know how I would know for sure if it was Staph? I don’t want to medicate her if it’s not that, ya know?

From Ratguide.com

Lice infestation

May see light tan, brown, or reddish color “dots” on skin or the presence of silvery colored nits attached to hair shafts.

Possible cause may be lice.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMama222 View Post
    Do you know how I would know for sure if it was Staph? I don’t want to medicate her if it’s not that, ya know?
    You wouldn't be - it is a topical disinfectant. It kills the bacteria. I actually use this same dilution on my face after I have worn a facemask for any period of time because they tend to make me break out and the betadyne wipedown prevents that. I particularly like it for animals because it doesn't burn, sting, tingle, or any other sensation that would upset them.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-13-2022), NewSquirrelMama222 (09-13-2022)

You wouldn't be - it is a topical disinfectant. It kills the bacteria. I actually use this same dilution on my face after I have worn a facemask for any period of time because they tend to make me break out and the betadyne wipedown prevents that. I particularly like it for animals because it doesn't burn, sting, tingle, or any other sensation that would upset them.
    Okay!! Just got some, diluted it like you said and put it on. Fingers crossed it helps. Thank you so much for the advice!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NewSquirrelMama222 from:

Diggie's Friend (09-13-2022)

Does the center of the red dots have a white head appearance? I ask, because staph skin infections are known to have that appearance. .

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Does the center of the red dots have a white head appearance? I ask, because staph skin infections are known to have that appearance. .
    Yeah! They look like pimples or white heads almost, with a red ring around them.

The betadine seems to be helping, they look less irritated.

Is there something else that can help with Staph?

And does it make them dehydrated? because I’m finding it hard to keep her hydrated. Did a couple feedings of a hydration fluid (sugar and salt) and switched to filtered water from tap, which helped. And now I’m giving her water almost every 30 mins- hour between 2-3 hour feedings. About 1 cc each and she still does not seem to get fully hydrated.. at least yet. She did have diarrhea and is recovering from a few rough days but I’m wondering if that could be from an infection like Staph? Want to help her feel better!

What is she living in? It should be a plastic bin with ventilation holes, not a cardboard box or open cage. Cardboard actually pulls moisture from what is around it, and open cages don't allow for any humidity to stay in. Babies are usually in a naked little knot in a nest with their warm mama and all of that means humidity.

You can help by keeping her in the bin with lots of soft fleece, with the bin on a no shut-off heating pad. Then place some crumpled paper towels in a heavy coffee mug or jar and saturate them with water and put the mug inside the bin on top of the heating pad. Now you have a little sauna. Dump the towels and clean the mug daily and replace. Once fur grows in you can stop doing this.

Update- OK, I think I may have had a plastic bin that was too big, I was using blankets instead of fleece and one of those rubber things that you fill with hot water?? So I bought smaller bin, fleece and an electric heater. I’ll see if that helps!!

Also, I have been putting the betadine on her twice a day for two days and the red bumps don’t seem as red... but there are more of them? I’ll attach pictures but I’m wondering if that’s okay or should I do something else...?

She’s okay, eating, going to the bathroom... but they aren’t really going away very easy. Name:  7A45AA22-CB83-4F12-9DE9-243E18F47D89.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.9 KBName:  68965536-048D-410B-A0B9-15ED0FEEF009.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  67.3 KB

If the betadine isn’t working, what steroid cream would you recommend?