Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Week Old with Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!

Default 2 Week Old with Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!

Name:  0C360159-1C52-4E6F-8607-E6566E6C60E4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  78.3 KBName:  D673B578-F33D-418A-B1EA-D0A132F3D20C.jpg
Size:  78.4 KBHi, I found an infant (with umbilical cord still on) pinkie in my front yard. There is a nest way up in a tree that she was under which I’m almost positive she fell from. She was convulsing and had some head trauma. Her mom never came and got her when I left her out in a box. I’ve had her for about a week now and she was seeming A LOT better! She was active and growing. I was feeding her the liquid ebsilac because I hadn’t seen online the dangers of it yet. Then I switched over to formula as soon as it came in the mail. But I didn’t transition her slowly. And I may have been over feeding her. She started to get softer stool and then it started turning yellow. Now it’s only liquid. Yellow. Had some bubbles in it last night. It almost looks like oil now. It’s been happening just over a day and I had her on pedialyte all day yesterday to try to flush it. I’m planning on slowly diluting GMF and giving that to her on her next feeding but she is severely dehydrated, her skin is tenting. She seems better and her skin bounces back but then if I go too long (3 hours), she’s way more wrinkly and dry skin. I want to save her, please help. She’s been through so much already. Her poop isn’t changing yet, which I thought it would with the pedialyte. She just wasn’t pooping as much yesterday but it didn’t change at all. She seemed happier to get hydration. But I’m worried. She’s still dehydrated and I’m nervous about switching her to GMF. Or the formula I got because I saw it had whey protein and I read that’s not good for her. What should I do? Her spirits seem up, she wriggles, pushes and climbs so she seems OK but she hasn’t had solid or normal poops for over 24 hours now and the places I called said they would probably euthanize her. Please help!

Default Re: 2 Week Old with Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMama222 View Post
    I was feeding her the liquid ebsilac because I hadn’t seen online the dangers of it yet. Then I switched over to formula as soon as it came in the mail.
    She’s still dehydrated and I’m nervous about switching her to GMF. Or the formula I got because I saw it had whey protein and I read that’s not good for her. What should I do? Her spirits seem up, she wriggles, pushes and climbs so she seems OK but she hasn’t had solid or normal poops for over 24 hours now and the places I called said they would probably euthanize her. Please help!
    After being on Pedialyte for 24 hours she wil l not have normal poop... there are no solids to form poop. Stop the pedialyte and if hydration is needed use plain water... giving pedialyte for extended periods will throw off their electrolyte balances.

The liquid Esbilac will cause diarrhea like this... the powdered Esbilac will not (crazy as it sounds, they are 2 entirely different formulations with the same brand name). Generally overfeeding will result is whiter poops, not yellow, which leads me to believe the Esbilac liquid is the primary cause.

What formula did you get in the mail? The whey protein is not bad for them, and is fact is the preferred protein source when using puppy formula.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-10-2022)

Okay, how worried should I be if she is not pooping brown for about a day? Maybe a little over? Name:  DA715323-3782-44ED-A43D-54D4D0A8675A.jpg
Size:  114.8 KBAlso, does she look okay in your opinion?

The formula I got is from Exotic Nutrition- The Specialty Milk Replacer. I can attach a picture. Okay, yeah I heard on here the whey protein powder is what was bad in Fox Valley and the Ebsilac Powder that no ones recommending anymore... I’m totally new to this so it’s hard to know what’s the best information to follow!

What do you think about transitioning with the GMF to the actual formula? Do you think it would be easier on her stomach? Thank you so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Just to make it more confusing for you I am going to recommend:

1) Throw out the Exotic Nutrition

2) Start him on HGMF... this is a TEMPORARY formula to bridge until #3..
    Homemade Goat Milk Formula:
    3 tablespoons goat milk
    3 tablespoons plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons heavy cream

3) Get some Esbilac Powdered Puppy Formula and transition to that from the HGMF when you get it. It can be bought on-line and some brick and mortar stores... Tractor Supply usually carries it at inflated prices though.

There was a big issue with Esbilac a couple years ago... the calcium particles the manufacturer was using was too large for small mammals like squirrels to digest. This has been corrected and Esbilac is the recommended formula as far as I am concerned, for newborns through 3 - 3.5 weeks. AT 3.5 weeks I would transition to a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 formula and keep him on that until he self weans.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-10-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-10-2022)

Thank you so much!! It’s actually WAY less confusing now. How often would you feed her? I was doing every 2 hours but I read yesterday someone said they wouldn’t any more than every 3-3 1/2. What do you recommend?

Also, here is a pic of her on Wednesday. Comparing the two, do you think some of the darkness and wrinkles could be her aging? Or is she not in good shape... I hope it’s okay I’m asking so many questions. Name:  5AE9EDD3-EF3D-4087-921D-DF295661EAD2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  77.9 KB

She's dehydrated... give 0.5ml - 1ml of water in between feedings for now. Just some water.

Is she being kept in a cardboard box by chance?

Attaching a feeding cheat sheet and frequency guidelines...

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.7 KB

Feeding Frequency.pdf

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Just to make it more confusing for you I am going to recommend:

1) Throw out the Exotic Nutrition

2) Start him on HGMF... this is a TEMPORARY formula to bridge until #3..
    Homemade Goat Milk Formula:
    3 tablespoons goat milk
    3 tablespoons plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons heavy cream

3) Get some Esbilac Powdered Puppy Formula and transition to that from the HGMF when you get it. It can be bought on-line and some brick and mortar stores... Tractor Supply usually carries it at inflated prices though.

There was a big issue with Esbilac a couple years ago... the calcium particles the manufacturer was using was too large for small mammals like squirrels to digest. This has been corrected and Esbilac is the recommended formula as far as I am concerned, for newborns through 3 - 3.5 weeks. AT 3.5 weeks I would transition to a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 formula and keep him on that until he self weans.
    Also, would you recommend not starting with the heavy cream? Or diluting it at all?

She's dehydrated... give 0.5ml - 1ml of water in between feedings for now. Just some water.

Is she being kept in a cardboard box by chance?

Attaching a feeding cheat sheet and frequency guidelines...

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.7 KB

Feeding Frequency.pdf
    I really can’t tell you how much I appreciate your advice. I’ve been so nervous and stressed for this little one. Thank you so much.

Also, I was keeping her in cardboard until a few days ago when I bought a plastic container and drilled holes on the top. With heater on one side of course.. I also have a little glass container in there with wet cotton balls for humidity... I did put coconut oil on her too bc I read it could help with her dry skin. Ah! So much to take it when first starting to care for this little one. But I SO appreciate the help.

Also, would you recommend not starting with the heavy cream? Or diluting it at all?
    I would start with 3-1-1... feeding 5% every 3 hours. 2 hours after the previous feeding, and 1 hour before the next feeding I would give 0.5ml - 1ml of water until she is hydrated.

3 tablespoons goat milk
    1 tablespoons plain yogurt
    1 tablespoons heavy cream

If you are more comfortable diluting, dilute the first feeding or two... but you are wanting to be on the watch for bloat. She is unlikely to poop for quite some time... could even be days.

Get the powdered Esbilac as soon as you can... having some infants gas drops (simethicone) and antibiotics (Baytril/Cipro, Clavamox/Augmentin, Bactrum/SMZ-TMP) on hand is also prudent when raising baby squirrels.

All the right moves moving from the cardboard and the cotton balls for extra moisture. Coconut oil for dry skin, etc.

I would start with 3-1-1... feeding 5% every 3 hours. 2 hours after the previous feeding, and 1 hour before the next feeding I would give 0.5ml - 1ml of water until she is hydrated.

3 tablespoons goat milk
    1 tablespoons plain yogurt
    1 tablespoons heavy cream

If you are more comfortable diluting, dilute the first feeding or two... but you are wanting to be on the watch for bloat. She is unlikely to poop for quite some time... could even be days.

Get the powdered Esbilac as soon as you can... having some infants gas drops (simethicone) and antibiotics (Baytril/Cipro, Clavamox/Augmentin, Bactrum/SMZ-TMP) on hand is also prudent when raising baby squirrels.

All the right moves moving from the cardboard and the cotton balls for extra moisture. Coconut oil for dry skin, etc.
    AMAZING! Okay, I just fed her her first GMF feeding and she LOVED IT! Was so happy and perked right up. She still feels fragile and wrinkled so I will continue to give her water on the schedule you suggested. But I feel so much better knowing the information that can make her feel better. You have no idea how grateful I am, I’ll keep this thread updated if it’s helpful but thank you so much! She is sleeping so hard right now

Will get Ebsilac ASAP and already threw out Pedialyte and the Exotic Nutrition formula!

Will get Ebsilac ASAP and already threw out Pedialyte and the Exotic Nutrition formula!
    Maybe you can return the E.N. formula?

Commercial Pedialyte is not "terrible" (well, maybe the unnaturally colored ones are), but those commercial electrolyte solutions are designed for people which are many many times the size of a squirrel. Regardless of which hydration fluid (e.g. water with salts and sugars) it should be limited to use for about no more than 24 hours then switch to plain water. After 24 hours of electrolytes, the body should have plenty and adding more will only overload it. If they remain hydrated at that point, it is all about water water water.

Yes, please keep us up to date on her progress and ask any questions...

Update- I just gave her a water feeding and will feed her the GMF in an hour. Started out with one diluted, then without cream and the last GMF feeding I went with the full 3-1-1.

She seems so much better!! Her skins still wrinkled so I’m giving her the water feeding until that goes away.. but she seems more like herself! She’s crawling all over the place and is fussy.. which I’m taking as a good sign! She seems to have her strength back. Thank you again and I’ll give updates as they happen!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NewSquirrelMama222 from:

Spanky (09-10-2022)

.. but she seems more like herself! She’s crawling all over the place and is fussy.. which I’m taking as a good sign! She seems to have her strength back.

Okay, Spanky I may need your help again!

So she has been eating the GMF and the water (although she’s not as excited for that). I’ve been doing water on the 2 hour mark and GMF an hour after that.

She is still in good spirits. I was worried this morning because she was peeing so much yesterday and then by last night/this morning, she wasn’t peeing or pooping at all. Since then, she’s peed a little and pooped (just a little.. yellow but definitely thicker than the liquid it was. Now it seems like plaque or something thicker. Which I think is good.. her anus is a little swollen and she seems constipated now though. Should I give her a little apple juice?

The issue I’m more worried about though is that I think she is very skinny. She was 20.2 grams on Friday and 21.4 yesterday. Then I weighed her today and she’s 19.1??? She’s been eating... and drinking but she still seems dehydrated and she’s losing weight... how could that be possible? Any ideas?? Thank you! Name:  B4653C43-FD52-469D-855F-17292F45D387.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  71.3 KBName:  BB0A3315-68AB-4A1D-970B-8E48951340E0.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  72.4 KBName:  013BD4E8-BD87-45C8-AB0E-22F29F23F180.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  83.2 KB

After being on Pedialyte for 24 hours she will not have normal poop... there are no solids to form poop.
    Just a gentle reminder...

The issue I’m more worried about though is that I think she is very skinny. She was 20.2 grams on Friday and 21.4 yesterday. Then I weighed her today and she’s 19.1??? She’s been eating... and drinking but she still seems dehydrated and she’s losing weight... how could that be possible? Any ideas?? Thank you!
    Be certain to be consistent when you weigh her... weigh the same time and condition daily. As an example, my routine is to weigh before the first morning feeding, by which I mean the first after 6AM each day. Weighing at different times of the day, or not consistently before or after feeding can skew the pattern, and it is the pattern that is important.

After being on hydration and no formula for a while it is not surprising there is little or no weight gain... but that should turn around soon.

Focus on watching for bloat and not so much about pooping or not pooping....

You can give her some diluted apple juice if you wish, but just once because giving this every 3 hours will result in diarrhea... she needs some time for the formula to work its way through her system (after the recent pause for hydration). Stay the course... less is more.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

CritterMom (09-11-2022)

Yes, I have not been worried about that but have been monitoring. Thank you.

Be certain to be consistent when you weigh her... weigh the same time and condition daily. As an example, my routine is to weigh before the first morning feeding, by which I mean the first after 6AM each day. Weighing at different times of the day, or not consistently before or after feeding can skew the pattern, and it is the pattern that is important.

After being on hydration and no formula for a while it is not surprising there is little or no weight gain... but that should turn around soon.

You can give her some diluted apple juice if you wish, but just once because giving this every 3 hours will result in diarrhea... she needs some time for the formula to work its way through her system (after the recent pause for hydration). Stay the course... less is more.
    Okay! Yes, I have not been on a consistent schedule with weighing her so I will be sure to do so. I was alarmed with how emaciated she seems but will stay the course. She seems in good spirits. Okay. Thank you so much!

Okay, so update- she is still eating fine. Spirits up. But she still hasn’t pooped... I know you said not to worry, but her belly is getting distended. It’s not hard but it is bigger. Her anus is distended too... like she’s pushing out a poop that’s too solid so it gets blocked, but I can see it bulging. Just gave her some diluted apple juice so I hope that helps.

The coconut oil made her break out a little so I haven’t put any more on her.

And her weight is still suspicious... but I’m giving it time. She seems skinnier??

The question I have though is am I not giving her enough water? About 1cc every time but her skin still sags and tents... what are your thoughts?? Thank you!! Name:  4B3D7854-62B9-408B-85BD-377806D2AD0F.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  72.4 KBName:  0844B73F-612D-46FB-8541-2DCCF22000EE.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  117.0 KBName:  F9B90649-400C-42A6-9A4E-6FA67839781A.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  70.1 KB

Is the recent apple juice the only time you have given any apple juice?

Is she still on the HGMF or have you gotten some Esbilac powder?

She does seem dehydrated a bit in that first pic... I would substitute the plain water with the homemade hydration between the next few feedings.
    Homemade hydration fluid:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Are you feeding / hydrating her around the clock? I don't think this one can go too many hours at a stretch right now.
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-12-2022 at 10:05 PM.

Don't be offended but I have to ask because we have had situations in the past where babies were being fed only 0.1ml when they should be getting 1ml. At other times we had folks misinterpret that the 5% is the entire day's feeding and not each and every feeding.

Are you absolutely certain about the feeding amounts she is being given?

At 20 grams, this baby should be eating at least 1ml and as much as 1.4ml each feeding.

I am glad you have the Esbilac now since the HGMF really is not very substantial IMO and the Esbilac should make a big difference over time... the next few days. But she is going to need some TLC ATC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast