Thread: 6 Week Old Red Squirrel

Default 6 Week Old Red Squirrel

Hello All,
    I am awaiting a call back from one or more of the several rehabbers with whom I left messages. Here's how it went:

Three days ago, while letting my chickens out, I noticed a baby red squirrel, asleep, in the crux of a large maple, about a foot off the ground. It struck me as odd. He seemed way too small. I went inside for about an hour and upon checking again, found he was still there. He mad a feeble attempt at climbing the tree, but appeared to run out of gas after ascending about two feet. He seemed to be having difficulty breathing. I decided he needed help.
    I took him inside and made a shoe box bed for him. Then I went online and started reading! A lot!

I realized dehydration was likely, and made a homemade Pedialyte, administered with a 4cc syringe we happened to have. He drank it greedily. Then he curled up and went to sleep. In the meantime it became clear through my hasty research that he should be out waiting for his mother. So I put the box next to the tree where I found him and watched through my window. He came out on his own through the top and slowly made his way up the tree. I could here him barking a little and I thought I heard a response. He climbed about 20 feet and stopped on a limb. I thought he should be OK, and mother would get him soon. But I had the nagging question, why was he out in the first place. By this time I had determined he was around 6 weeks old.

So two hours later, I'm back in the yard, walking toward my shed, under the very tree, and that's when I heard the "EEEEEH!!" I had stepped on either the one I had let go, or a sibling that had fallen. The tree is huge. I thought, "That's it. I killed him." He had run about ten feet and I went and got him. He was panting and bleeding from the nose a little. I decided to take him in and make him as comfortable as possible.

He lay breathing strenuously, almost as if he were coughing. I carefully felt all his bones and was surprised that he didn't react in pain. No sign of a break. I kept up with small doses of water solution every few hours. I resigned to the fact that he'd probably not make it through the night.

Next morning, I opened the box-gone! He pushed up the top and got out. I had him in a spare bedroom on the floor, door closed. Then I heard a small huffing and saw the blanket on the bed move. He had climbed up on the bed and got under the covers! I was stunned at the transformation. He was incredibly frisky, and drank the water like a fish. So I headed to TS and grabbed a can of liquid Esbilac. He loves it and is doing great. I set up a chicken brooder with the box inside and a deer antler for teething. He ate avocado last night and tries to nibble walnut pieces, but his teeth are still pretty small.

I want to release him, but am desperate for wisdom from others. Please send any advice, recommendations, etc to a grateful rescuer. We live on 4 plus acres, abutting all forestland.
    Thank for what you do!

Default Re: 6 Week Old Red Squirrel

I might have posted in the wrong place. I have called 3 rehabs. I just want to be sure I'm doing things right in the interim. If this should be moved, could a mod do that for me? Thanks.

So I guess I'll keep going in the hopes of a reply. I have not seen this squirrel eliminate anything yet, despite attempts with a Q-Tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    I want to release him, but am desperate for wisdom from others. Please send any advice, recommendations, etc to a grateful rescuer. We live on 4 plus acres, abutting all forestland.
    Thank for what you do!

First, you need to get some powdered Esbilac, the liquid is going to screw up his system... it's weird, but they are not the same at all.

Second, the only solid foods he should be getting is rodent block. Henry's sells a supplement block that is terrific... get the Picky version and save yourself some headaches. Alss, get some Fox Valley 20/50 and when that arrives feed him 50% Esbilac (Powdered) and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 mix.

If you want to use extruded commercial block, Mazuri is probably your best bet these days.

This will get you started... and busy I imagine!

What's more important, supplement block or 20/50?
    ADD: So no avocado whatsoever?

I just checked in on him and he was jumping off the piece of branch trying to get out! I'll have to give him the liquid Esbilac tonight. I'll get the powder tomorrow. Will the Esbilac powder be enough until I get the block or 20/50?

Name:  IMG_3979.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3980.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3981.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  76.4 KB

This little guy acts as if he could get back up the tree now. The big question is why did he twice end up on the ground (assuming this is the same one as the one I initially found. I hope I get a call from a rehabber soon.

Something must have happened to his mom. You can try playing the baby squirrel cry recording on your phone and see if it draws the mom down. I’d keep a close watch on him though. You don’t want him going back up the tree where he will be out of your reach for help.

Here’s the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXnLN9w5BA&

Did you get some powdered Esbilac?

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Otto (09-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Something must have happened to his mom. You can try playing the baby squirrel cry recording on your phone and see if it draws the mom down. I’d keep a close watch on him though. You don’t want him going back up the tree where he will be out of your reach for help.

Here’s the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXnLN9w5BA&

Did you get some powdered Esbilac?
    Thanks, Mel. I thought the same thing about losing him up the tree. I also considered putting the entire tote under the tree and playing the recording. But I doubt the mother would pull him out. Do you suggest I try?

The good news is, I am leaving him with a rehabber who has a baby red already, and she is looking for a companion. So it looks promising. I'm feeding him the powdered Esbilac. He devours it. He's very active and playful. Thanks for your thoughts.

It sounds like you have a terrific plan. I don’t think it’s worth it to take a chance on him climbing the tree and getting out of reach since you have someone who has a red that needs a buddy. It’s always nice for them to have a buddy when they’re being raised by humans. Good job!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Otto (09-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It sounds like you have a terrific plan. I don’t think it’s worth it to take a chance on him climbing the tree and getting out of reach since you have someone who has a red that needs a buddy. It’s always nice for them to have a buddy when they’re being raised by humans. Good job!
    Thanks, Mel. One more thing maybe you can help with. I'll be taking care of him at least until Sunday. I need a new syringe. I've been using one (3cc) that we had for our cat's meds, but it's starting to stick pretty bad. I've cleaned both barrel and plunger a few times, but it hasn't helped. Is there a safe lube I could use on it, or are they found in places like CVS?
    Thanks very much.

You should be able to get a syringe from a pharmacist. Ask if they’ll give you one and tell them it’s for feeding a baby kitten….sometimes they’re more sympathetic to that then saying a squirrel. If they won’t give you one you might be able to purchase one that is for dosing childrens meds. You want as small of one as possible. The larger the syringe the more volume that comes out with each suck and you don’t want to aspirate the little guy.

Definitely find another syringe. I’d suggest lubricating the rubber ring with a little vegetable oil, but that’s usually only a short term fix. You have to be very careful once you’ve done this because the plunger may move VERY well initially so hold back on it as you feed him so he only gets a gradual amount of formula and doesn’t aspirate.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Otto (09-08-2022)

For future use, just look on Amazon.com for syringes from 1 ml to 3 ml depending on age. The needle portion comes in a housing attached to the syringe mechanism base, yet it easily detaches so that the base of the syringe base can be used alone for feeding.