Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Not gaining weight…help!?

Default Re: UTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    I’m a little worried Lucy girl might have a UTI? Could I be being paranoid…absolutely.

She doesn’t seem to be in any pain. She isn’t dehydrated. But her urine has become odorous, and also cloudy. She will urinate without any stimulation, a little here, a little there, or drop after drop while eating. Then the rest with stimulation.

I’m most concerned with the strong smell and clouded appearance. What should I do?

Did the change with her urine happen at the same time as the switch to the Esbilac?

I of course don’t want to give any AB if not needed. I do have clavamox and baytril, plus human doxy and amoxicillin (I think Kfkex too, but that one seems WAY to powerful for a delicate little ecosystem)
    The weight of the squirrel and the strength of the clavamox is needed to dose meds (IF she needs antibiotics I would use the clavamox)?

Default Re: Not gaining weight…help!?

No it didn’t. And I only altered it by a fraction of a Tablespoon.

As soon as I received a NEW canister of esbilac, WITHOUT sooo many clumps, I went back to the original formulation & ratios.

And I have given her 1/2-1cc of water, BETWEEN formula feedings, once or twice a day.

She’s only 84.5 grams. Which means she’s only gained 5 grams in 48 hours!

I just want her to GAIN weight, CATCH UP & be healthy! I know it doesn’t take much to tip the scales in one direction or another… but…damnit!! I’m so committed and dedicated to this sweet little girl! I’ve introduced a 1/4 of HHB to her “home” the past 2 days. She doesn’t show any interest in even sniffing it lol. This afternoon around 4:30 I gave her 3/4cc of slightly sweetened water (with agave syrup). She peed a little, however still not showing any obvious symptoms of pain. We were still a couple hours away from the next feeding.
    She was definitely trying to seek it out though. She climbed up my arm/shirt, around my collar, across the counter (on the blanket), through my hands, etc.
    In her “home” i replaced the soiled fleece & tshirt material with clean linens, (washed w/free&gentle detergent, air dried) I placed her back in her “home”… she proceeded to walk around and kind of “jerk” and thrust forward, very awkwardly (as if trying to jump).

I realize I am caught in the “in between”: physical maturity (delayed in a lot of aspects due to traumas and the like) and mental and some physical development and milestones more aligned with fellow squirrels her age.

And yet again….she has only pooped 2 times today! (Early am…5:30=3 healthy pellets. 2:30pm=1 healthy pellet. I HAVE NOT CHANGED anything with her formula. It is still exactly as it has been (2 Tablespoons 20/50, 2 Tablespoons Esbilac Powder, 2 teaspoons FV Ultraboost : 9 Tablespoons, 1 teaspoon H2O)

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? PLEASE!?! This chicka is a FIGHTER with a will to live and thrive, that will take your breath away!

WHY NO poopy? (Again) (and what to do?)
    ((Not bloated, but a very FULL belly. Squishy when she is sprawled out suckling. But feels tight when she bunches up in a ball.))

And do I treat the “suspected” UTI with AB? Or leave it alone and chock it up to being a paranoid, “born again” newbie??

❤️❤️❤️

Default UTI-Formula?

Also (just to be EXTRA annoying)

1.) What SHOULD I be feeding her CURRENTLY?? taking into account her developmental setbacks due to trauma…?

2.) proper next steps? (Ie; AB, formula/hydration, playtime, enclosure…ANY & EVERYthing!

Hi TH:
    I'm sorry your questions have not yet been yet been addressed but I just now am getting back with your thread; I have some comments I would like to ask you to clarify. On your recent post you stated the following: "And yet again….she has only pooped 2 times today! (Early am…5:30=3 healthy pellets. 2:30pm=1 healthy pellet. I HAVE NOT CHANGED anything with her formula. It is still exactly as it has been (2 Tablespoons 20/50, 2 Tablespoons Esbilac Powder, 2 teaspoons FV Ultraboost : 9 Tablespoons, 1 teaspoon H2O)." Would you please clarify whether or not you really meant "1 teaspoon" of water added to your formula. This doesn't seem even possible unless you are not counting the water used to mix up your powdered formula and just adding 1 teaspoon as "extra." Please detail the specifics of the mixing proportions you are using for the FV and Esbilac and verify that you are letting it sit for several hours or even all night to help ensure the powder is fully dissolved into the warm water. It should not be left out of the refrigerator after mixing until you are about to use it.

Here is what Spanky posted in your thread and it is great advice: What a cutie. I move them to a small cage right around 6.5 - 7 weeks. That's when they start making progress trying to climb from bins... of course, deeper bins = longer they can stay there. You can add a water bottle at the same time though it will be a while before she starts using it.

Nothing to chew on other than rodent block (Henry's) for a while. You can add a stuffie toy for her to play with... no buttons or beans, etc. to choke on though.

I know you are concerned but it seems to be you are pretty stressed. I hope you can relax some and while Lucy is still "behind," you are doing all the right things and my hope along with simply having you relax some; is to be relaxed enough to enjoy your beautiful little Squirrel and appreciate the care, attention and love that you are providing!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Yes, I am stressed about regarding health concerns. But I do my best not to let her know. I sing to her, let her climb on me and burrow into me and sleep. I play with her when she is feeling feisty. And try to get her outside time when the weather is accommodating.

To clarify diet:
    2Tablespoons 20/50 + 4 Tablespoons H2O
    2 Tablespoons Esbilac + 4 Tablespoons H2O
    2 teaspoons boost + 4 teaspoons H2O (4 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon)
    *So total H2O is 9 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon*

Sorry for the confusion.

She is 95 grams
    Clavamox is 62.5 mg tablets

❤️

Yes I prepare the formula and let it sit for a few hours, most of the time overnight, before giving it to her.

Current photos attached. She seems to go for my neck (highest place) or nuzzle into my armpit (warmest place lol)

I would very much appreciate any insight about UTI…

Thanks 😊
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I did pick up liquid clavamox today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I did pick up liquid clavamox today.
    Hi TH:
    Is this Clavamox already mixed or is it the fresh powder? If it has been mixed up into the suspension form; how long ago was this done? Is Lucy currently getting any antibiotics? Does her urine current have a foul odor and/or is it continuing to be be cloudy? The symptoms are concerning for a UTI. I know that you believe that Lucy is well hydrated and I have no reason to doubt that she is! your are doing a great job! Nevertheless, supplementing with some extra plain water can be beneficial during treatment for a UTI and even potentially preventing one. Unless there are very rare problems such as congestive heart failure or decreased kidney function, plain water (should always be available and "free-fed!" Encouraging a little extra water intake is fine!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I asked the vet to leave it as powder, but I noticed she already mixed it. Yesterday at 4pm. It’s only good for 10 days now.

Urine is still smelly and cloudy. She is NOT on anything yet.

I am giving water with a tiny drop of agave, or a little splash of apple juice, she won’t take it plain. I am probably going to add a water bottle this weekend so she can explore it if she wants.

Please help with dosing!

I asked the vet to leave it as powder, but I noticed she already mixed it. Yesterday at 4pm. It’s only good for 10 days now.

Urine is still smelly and cloudy. She is NOT on anything yet.

I am giving water with a tiny drop of agave, or a little splash of apple juice, she won’t take it plain. I am probably going to add a water bottle this weekend so she can explore it if she wants.

Please help with dosing!
    That strategy is fine for the water. The important thing is that this really is just plain water that has only a tiny amount of flavoring to make it palatable to Lucy. Water bottles are great but please read some cautions about them (https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...=water+bottles). The Clavamox suspension should be kept refrigerated. An admin is required to provide dosing instructions for you and they will deliver this to you via a PM as dosing is not posted on the "open" Board. I know you have a recent weight but while you are waiting for an Admin, please obtain Lucy's current weight and post it as soon as it is available. Thanks! Hi little Lucy!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

105 grams

(Its refrigerated)

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

105 grams

(Its refrigerated)
    Sending pm.....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-20-2022)

Thank you so much StepnStone for help with dosing AB. She has had 2 doses so far, and her pee just now is back to being clear and odorless!!

Still concerned with bloat/constipation. It’s been primarily constipation for a few days. Literally only had maybe 3 pellets in 48 hours. Her tummy would start feeling hard (air filled balloon, not water filled) I would give some water, then wait an hour, if still not entirely squishy, but not hard, and she was BEGGING for formula, I gave a 3 CCs formula, another 3 in 2 more hours, with a couple drops of simethicone which always seem to help her either pass gas or a couple poops. Today has been much more difficult. Belly really not going down. I’ve tried warm bath, plenty of belly massage, she is still highly energetic. I don’t want to hold back formula, but is this what I should do until it resolves completely? I’ve given only water since 2:30 (last formula was at 10:30. Belly is finally becoming less rigid. I’m hoping and praying the fluids will get her back to normal. She’s not a happy camper about it, she WANTS formula. Grr baby girl! Come back squishy gut!

Thank you so much StepnStone for help with dosing AB. She has had 2 doses so far, and her pee just now is back to being clear and odorless!!

Still concerned with bloat/constipation. It’s been primarily constipation for a few days. Literally only had maybe 3 pellets in 48 hours. Her tummy would start feeling hard (air filled balloon, not water filled) I would give some water, then wait an hour, if still not entirely squishy, but not hard, and she was BEGGING for formula, I gave a 3 CCs formula, another 3 in 2 more hours, with a couple drops of simethicone which always seem to help her either pass gas or a couple poops. Today has been much more difficult. Belly really not going down. I’ve tried warm bath, plenty of belly massage, she is still highly energetic. I don’t want to hold back formula, but is this what I should do until it resolves completely? I’ve given only water since 2:30 (last formula was at 10:30. Belly is finally becoming less rigid. I’m hoping and praying the fluids will get her back to normal. She’s not a happy camper about it, she WANTS formula. Grr baby girl! Come back squishy gut!
    9/10 baby's eyes opened, generally baby's eyes open at 5 weeks which would put this little around 6-1/2 weeks.
    A baby's average weight for 6-7 weeks should be around 120-160. So yes, she is (still) under weight.
    At 105 grams his baby is weighing between the average of a 4-5 week old and you are feeding her like a 2-3 week old.
    2 hours is not giving her system enough time to process completely what she is being fed, that is part of the problem.

For her prospective age she should be eating between 6-8 cc's formula every 4-5 hours.
    I won't suggest you start feeding her like a 6-7 week old until her weight catches up more but I am suggesting you feed
    her as a 5 week old which is what her weight represents. This means every 4 hours allowing 4-6 cc's formula feedings with
    allowing 1 last feeding at night and resume in the morning. > You should give her water in-between formula feedings if/when necessary.
    As she is able to gain weight and get closer to where she should be her formula amounts will increase as will her time in between feedings.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-21-2022)

Understood. I WAS giving her 6-7.5 every 4-5 hours. But then she started becoming bloated, her tummy wasn’t getting soft and she wasn’t pooping. I THOUGHT trying to break it up for a few feedings would help. But it hasn’t. Apparently I was wrong. 🥺

After only giving her water for a couple of feedings, her tummy became less round and tight. I gave her 6cc at 10…

I will possibly give her 1-1.5 of water before bed, and resume feeding normally in the morning around 5? Fingers crossed it will resolve and she will be better in morning?

Do you feel this is an adequate “plan”?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    2 hours is not giving her system enough time to process completely what she is being fed, that is part of the problem.

I'd suggest stop worrying about how much she is or is not pooping, especially at this age and monitoring for bloat. What she needs, all she needs to catch up, is consistency in her feeding routine IMO.

Is she eating solids (rodent block) now?

If she seems to get bloated again, please post a picture of her belly for us...
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-22-2022 at 06:41 AM.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-22-2022)

Thanks. I will. Let’s hope she doesn’t though.

She isn’t quite eating them, but is definitely exploring the blocks occasionally.

I’ll continue with her proper amounts and feeding times and post a pic if it happens again.

Hopefully it had something to do with the UTI, which has cleared up now. 🥰

Thanks for caring. Sorry I’ve been a pest.

Thanks. I will. Let’s hope she doesn’t though.

She isn’t quite eating them, but is definitely exploring the blocks occasionally.

I’ll continue with her proper amounts and feeding times and post a pic if it happens again.

Hopefully it had something to do with the UTI, which has cleared up now. ��

Thanks for caring. Sorry I’ve been a pest.
    If this was/is a UTI I hope your planning on continuing the entire ab protocol, a day or two on ab's is not going to cut it.
    Just because it may look "cleared up" does not mean it cleared out, it will recur if not treated properly.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-22-2022), Tashahaven (09-22-2022)

ABSOLUTELY!! I intend to complete the full course 100%!

But it is definitely encouraging that it has cleared up! Thanks to your assistance!

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tashahaven:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-22-2022), stepnstone (09-23-2022)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234