Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Not gaining weight…help!?

Default Re: Not gaining weight…help!?

How's little Lucy doing?

Thanks for checking in! She is doing great! UTI is gone, she seems really healthy all around. She still isn’t touching the HHB though.

180 grams

Name:  EE94BD2B-C291-4359-AF41-C2B126D5AFD8.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  117.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    Thanks for checking in! She is doing great! UTI is gone, she seems really healthy all around. She still isn’t touching the HHB though.

180 grams
    Good job T! What a beautiful little Squirrel you are, Lucy! What are you using as blocks since Lucy doesn't seem interested in the Henry's?
    StS

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I haven’t tried any other blocks yet. I was hoping she would start exploring them this week. I even give an assortment (a slice of hazelnut, picky, and regular) What would you recommend?

Her development changes overnight in a lot of other ways this far. From sleeping all the time to suddenly being active, needing help going potty to going on her own. So I was hoping the block thing would be the same. Let me know what I should try instead and I’ll get it right away.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I haven’t tried any other blocks yet. I was hoping she would start exploring them this week. I even give an assortment (a slice of hazelnut, picky, and regular) What would you recommend?

Her development changes overnight in a lot of other ways this far. From sleeping all the time to suddenly being active, needing help going potty to going on her own. So I was hoping the block thing would be the same. Let me know what I should try instead and I’ll get it right away.
    Is she eating any solids at all at this point?

The Picky... the regular is a flop (IMO) and I know a lot of folks have good luck with the Hazelnut (but not me so much). I use the Wild and Picky.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

The Picky... the regular is a flop (IMO) and I know a lot of folks have good luck with the Hazelnut (but not me so much). I use the Wild and Picky.
    Hi T:
    Other than the HHBs which you have tried, what is Lucy's current diet and what does she weigh?

Usually, if baby Squirrels are given wholesome Blocks (HHB, Envigo [formerly Harlan-Teklad] or Mazuri Rat & Mouse Diet) they will eventually begin eating them if nothing else solid is offered. They may very likely ignore the blocks at first, as Lucy is doing; but they then tend to play with them or even destroy them without eating much if any; but eventually, they almost always will begin eating them! Only after they are definitely eating them on a regular daily basis should the "other stuff" be added. The vegetable should be the first to added. Captive Squirrels (pets as well as those destined for release) never need nuts! They are ok fior a rare treat but only after the Squirrel is eating Blocks regularly and after you have introduced the foods at the levels toward the base of the Pyramid. The lowest level is the most important and essential and toward the top are the treats (nuts). Squirrels should never get "people" food or treats! Here is the "famous" Henry's Diet Pyramid:
    ( https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/ )

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I have not tried any other blocks yet. Her diet has been solely formula (50/50 20/50 & esbilac). I’ve provided the blocks daily, and untreated pine I’ve sanded for her to climb and chew. She chewed on it a LITTLE in the beginning, but now nothing.

She gets more active every day. I spent DAYS (and at least $300) planning, researching, buying materials and building her temporary cage) I am currently trying to figure out/plan her big enclosure/RC. (I will be posting some questions and hoping for some input and feedback: in the “cages, nest boxes” section, when I’m done here)

Last night after her dinner, we were spending time together, grooming, cleaning her messy little muzzle lol (super sloppy eater!), chin/belly scratches, hide and seek, popcorn, climb and explore, and Pee on mom. Haha then she started gnawing on my fingers again, pretty extensively. I tried offering wood or block to gnaw on but it was a “no go”. I then realized it was because I had been eating a bunch of raw broccoli throughout the day. I KNOW i SHOULDNT have, but I went and got a SMALL piece of brocoli. She KIND of nibbled a TINY bit of the head for all of 5 seconds, and then moved onto my watch band. (I KNOW I shouldn’t have. And I PROMISE I won’t again. I was more just curious to figure out IF she would even be interested. Cause I’m still attempting to figure out why she won’t touch the blocks, or even the wood now. But loves my rubber watch band, and fingers)

I’ve NEVER given her nuts, or fruit, or ANYTHING other than formula, Henry’s blocks, and raw wood.

i will order the other blocks you mentioned tonight StS. I worry she isn’t chewing enough though. I have an apple tree and a red maple in my yard that the wilds go CRAZY in and on and around ALL DAY long. Is it premature, or Can I put some small fresh branches with leaves (no apples) in with her? Or should I wait until she has figured out the whole block situation? (I realize how absolutely VITAL this step is for her long term development and success). None of my trees have been treated with any pesticides or chemicals.

AGAIN…SORRY for the NOVEL. I REALLY love this little girl and have DEVOTED my entire life to her 24/7/365, I’m completely and totally committed and willing to go to the ends of the earth to do everything I can, so she can continue to thrive, grow and eventually be successfully released into the wild world of squirrels.

She was so dehydrated and emaciated and had so many other health issues to overcome (cat bite, abscess, uti etc) I KNOW you all are so overwhelmed with the influx of people needing help. And AGAIN I just want to THANK YOU ALL.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tashahaven:

RockyPops (10-07-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-04-2022)

Mazuri and envigo ordered.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

180 grams

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I have tried the picky, regular and hazelnut. I will order Henry’s wild bites now. Thank You!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I worry she isn’t chewing enough though. I have an apple tree and a red maple in my yard that the wilds go CRAZY in and on and around ALL DAY long. Is it premature, or Can I put some small fresh branches with leaves (no apples) in with her? Or should I wait until she has figured out the whole block situation? (I realize how absolutely VITAL this step is for her long term development and success). None of my trees have been treated with any pesticides or chemicals.
    You are a superb Squirrel-Mom, T! Squirrels obviously need to chew to eat but also because their teeth never stop growing and they need to wear down their teeth to make up for the growth! Squirrel teeth have no nerves inside them and for that reason, the teeth can be trimmed without pain but it is best to do what you are doing and give things to chew on. She will love this and it will keep her having teeth instead of tusks! The Apple and Maple trees (and as you said, no apples or at least no apple seeds) are safe. A suggestion would be to completely submerge the cuttings in water several and wash them as well to ensure that any bugs that might be present will abandon the stick or be washed off.

You certainly don't need both Envigo and Mazuri blocks but they are different and Lucy may prefer one or the other or may eat both. Envigo was recently cited for aninal cruelty and quite a number of Beagles were removed from their lab. That bothered me and continues to bother me and I initially refused to consider using their blocks any longer BUT, these are two different issues. I like the Envigo blocks because the nutritional information is clearly stated in great detail as it has been since the business was called Harlan-Teklad. I would recommend Envigo 2018 or 2019. They are both growth formulations and contain approximately 19% protein. The big difference in 2018 and 2019 is the 2018 has Soy Meal which contains phytoestrogens. Some people are flat out opposed to using phytoestrogens in themselves or their pets/rehab animals and if you have any concerns about this "issue," 2019 would be a good choice. I make my own blocks but I usually used Envigo 2018 as a base.

I also use Kayee Lava Blocks for chewing. There are some who have concerns about these but I have used them without any identifiable adverse issues for a number of years. I do not use the "wood Chews" that are stuck to the lave cubes as I have no idea what they may be treated with if anything. They may be quite safe but I don't use them regardless. I also scrape off the a thin layer of the lava that was under each wood chew. I hang a couple of these in each cage.

You are doing a great job with Lucy's care!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

Thanks for the feedback! I never would have thought to try the lava blocks. I will definitely give them a shot. 🥰

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

Thanks for the feedback! I never would have thought to try the lava blocks. I will definitely give them a shot. 🥰
    A caveat however! If you opt for using Lava cubes, they can help with tooth length but I use them because Squirrels seem to like to play with them as well as chew on them. They usually just spray the rock bits and dust around! Lava is solidified liquid rock and in my opinion quite safe, but you may find a Squirrel or two that may actually eat this material instead of just playing with it and chewing it apart. If that is the case please do NOT use the Lava Cubes for that Squirrel. Lava blocks obviously have NO nutritional value and further more, rock should not be what is filling our Squirrel's stomachs. I did not mention this but should have and that is that I also place a couple of plain old cleaned hard rocks about 3 inches in size (or so) for the Squirrels to bite on as well. These work very well for grinding teeth and with hard rocks, the Squirrels will not be eating them.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I have tried the picky, regular and hazelnut. I will order Henry’s wild bites now. Thank You!

I did not mean to suggest you will have any better luck with the Wild bites if he is not eating the Picky.

What is important is that the block is the first and ONLY solid foods he is given until he is eating the block very well. First stage is simply shredding them. Then they eat a bit of it while shredding it and finally they should eat it like toddler on cotton candy when you give him one.

Edit: It has been a while since I shared the "Ice Cream Time" video:
    https://youtu.be/HwfFPSOoLKU

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

RockyPops (10-07-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-04-2022), Tashahaven (10-04-2022)

I did not mean to suggest you will have any better luck with the Wild bites if he is not eating the Picky.

What is important is that the block is the first and ONLY solid foods he is given until he is eating the block very well. First stage is simply shredding them. Then they eat a bit of it while shredding it and finally they should eat it like toddler on cotton candy when you give him one.

Edit: It has been a while since I shared the "Ice Cream Time" video:
    https://youtu.be/HwfFPSOoLKU

That is a great video!!!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I LOVED your video spanky! I soo want my girl to go after a block like yours did. I can’t even get her to “shred” it.

on another note… I mentioned in a previous post my desire to find a rehabber or someone else who will be overwintering another similarly aged squirrel, and never got any response related to that.

I LOVE and ADORE this girl SO MUCH! But I truly only want what is BEST for her, no matter how hard it will be iwhen we part ways. I am wondering if anyone has any information about this? Knows of anyone? I truly think she will really struggle if alone all winter. (OF COURSE! She will have me! And every possible luxury, toy, play thing I can potentially find.) but I feel she really needs a companion to be with and “squirrel” with… I would even be happy to foster another through the winter.

Just putting it out there again.

these are incredibly social creatures, and I’m doing her a major disservice if I don’t try my very hardest.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

I’m thoroughly confused, and don’t know what to do. I’ve read in multiple places on TSB, conflicting information about which types of branches/leaves are safe and acceptable to put in the habitat for climbing, building nests and chewing.

As stated before I have an apple tree and red maple that my wilds ADORE.

Today I was reading through a bunch of older posts on here, where in one thread it was SPECIFICALLY emphasized NOT to use ANY apple tree components, as well as red maple.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...eek-old-babies

Please advise! Are apple trees toxic? Why are red maples not advisable?

I have a European ash tree out front (where she initially fell from during the storm). Is that my only option at this point?

Is there somewhere online I can buy “safe” limbs/branches?

my head is spinning…

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

RockyPops (10-07-2022)

So I was wondering who to contact about moving Lucy’s thread, (and where you might suggest moving it to, or if I should bother) So I can post periodic updates and such.

Ps she’s doing amazing. So healthy. So happy. Here is a couple quick vids during out of cage playtime

https://youtu.be/m-pObqiZ3io

https://youtube.com/shorts/sRzYXoWobFU?feature=share

Name:  02C7DA6F-7C10-4844-AC30-8926FC3351A4.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  139.0 KBName:  9B390334-ED92-4198-A505-52F4041C01C7.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  126.8 KB

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Lighten-Up (10-29-2022)

Since postings have slowed down at this time. I thought it might be a better time to “bump” this thread…and see if anyone has feedback regarding my prior post?

🤓

So I was wondering who to contact about moving Lucy’s thread, (and where you might suggest moving it to, or if I should bother) So I can post periodic updates and such.

Ps she’s doing amazing. So healthy. So happy. Here is a couple quick vids during out of cage playtime
    We could move it to Grey Squirrel Forum or The Nursery, whichever you prefer... and maybe change the title? If you select a forum and new title we'll get that done for you...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345