Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not gaining weight…help!?

Default “Clicking” vs. Sucking…Input Needed…

I’ve been taking care of a baby since he fell out of the nest, and mommy abandoned him (about 1 1/2 weeks). He was severely dehydrated, and didn’t seem like he was gonna pull through for the first few days. I gave him SubQ fluids, and perked him up enough to get him eating (and drinking, if absolutely rq) with vigor. But I’m concerned, because he doesn’t seem to be consistently gaining weight and his poops are not solidly formed.
    He “sucks” pretty consistently once he is woken up (like he does on the nipple). I saw a video online, which scared the heck out of me, showing AP, but it’s a VERY similar noise.
    No it’s NOT constant, and/or not with breathing. But when he is awoken from slumber “feed me. I’m hungry”…
    He’s about 3 weeks old. He had an injury, most likely from a cat, after he fell from the tree. On his tail, and foot, but other than slight scabbing on his tail, seems to have bounced back from it completely.
    Sorry, I can be rather long winded. I figure too much info is much better than not enough.

My concerns/questions are:
    1. Is this “sucking” actually AP?
    2. What can I do to get his poop healthy?

(I do have FV ultra on the way. And he is SUPER spirited, and not lethargic or weak in anyway.)

Any input, feedback, suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Default Re: “Clicking” vs. Sucking…Input Needed…

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    I figure too much info is much better than not enough.
    for helping him.

My concerns/questions are:
    1. Is this “sucking” actually AP?
    No. If it is not persistent, he is hungry and energetic... then No.

2. What can I do to get his poop healthy?
    What are you feeding him and how often... are you following the 5% - 7% rule (cheat sheet attached).

Feeding Frequency.pdf
    SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf
    Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.7 KB

Default Re: “Clicking” vs. Sucking…Input Needed…

He is RIGHT at 29 grams. Give or take. His lower incisors just came through. But he is definitely underweight.

I WAS feeding FV 32/40. UNTIL reading the horror stories. I’ve switched to esbilac powder, with a pinch of the FV to transition. Once the FV boost shows up I’ll keep him on the esbilac/Boost mix until the next FV.

Probably about 1.7ccs, every 2-3 hours. Might be a bit less. I feel like it’s hard to give a PRECISE number, when a decent fraction of it is lost on my wrist, testing temp, when heating etc.

Default Not gaining weight…help!?

I cannot seem to get this little one to gain weight! I feel like I’ve tried everything, but I’m at a loss! I also haven’t been able to achieve, consistent poops. It seems to always be loose, and for a day (before I took him off FV 32/40, and switched to esbilac) he had NO BMs. I’ve transitioned to esbilac powder 2:1 (waiting on FV boost to add with it). Has TONS of spunk, eager to eat. Not dehydrated.

Feeding about 1.7cc every 2-3 hours.
    Been stuck at 29 grams for days.
    Skin got a little dry right around when I got a new heating pad, but also could have been caused by the hard water where I live, when I gave him a warm bath to encourage a BM. I cleaned him up well, and put a very light amount of coconut oil on the really dry or itchy spots to soothe his skin.

It’s been about 24 hours since I made the switch from FV to esbilac. He has had diarrhea a couple times, when not stimulated. Stimulation = pee only. PLEASE help.

Why not gaining weight?
    How to get healthy poops?

ANY feedback or advice would be REALLY APPRECIATED!

Default Re: Not gaining weight…help!?

FV 32/40 will cause many issues mostly as I understand blocks them up and they can't poop..
    Most start with Esbilac till eyes open approximately 5 weeks of age then go to FV 20/50 it has a higher fat content.
    What percentage are you using on the chart to feed?
    You may have to up the feedings.
    Looking for chart I'll put it up here👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart (2).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  63.7 KB
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Skin got a little dry right around when I got a new heating pad, but also could have been caused by the hard water where I live, when I gave him a warm bath to encourage a BM.
    I'd recommend a switch to bottled water to mix with the Esbilac powder. The hard water can have minerals and what not that, while fine for (large) humans, can be hard on baby squirrels' tiny systems. More than once I have seen a switch to bottle water, or filtered water (e.g. Brita, ZeroWater, etc.) make a huge difference.

Is the opened Esbilac powder is being stored in the freezer (minimally the dridge)?

If you are adding cream to the Esbilac, I would see what stopping that does... occasionally we see little ones whose system cannot handle the cream well.

A drop of Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate to treat the diarrhea can sometimes get them over the hump if there not not under-lying causes (e.g. overfeeding, infection, contaminants, etc). Be aware their poops may turn very dark, even black.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Charley Chuckles (09-01-2022), Tiniest (09-01-2022)

I will switch to mixing with bottled water. It was the hard water from a bath that I think dried his skin. Next time I’ll use bottled for that as well.

No cream mixed in. I really hope he comes through this ok!

Is it okay to switch to FV 30/50 at this point? I don’t know the EXACT age of this little one. His lower front incisors are in, his eyes are closed, but eyelids and hair around them is very matured, ears are away from his head, and almost completely open. The portions of the tail that are not scabbed or where scabs recently fell off have hair 1/8”+.

Would making this switch a little too early, be detrimental? I feel like the higher fat content might help.

What about 50/50 esbilac & FV 30/50?

Default Antibiotics…please help.

I’m VERY concerned, my little one needs antibiotic therapy. When I rescued him, there were multiple injuries from a cat on the tail, and one small one on the torso. His weight has remained the same for MANY days. He is under developed and emaciated.

Still remains quite energetic, and enthusiastic. Healthy appetite. Most of the scabs on the tail have fallen off. The small “pimple” like abscess on his foot has gone away, without being drained. But (even though I hate using antibiotics, unless 100% necessary), I think it’s time to treat with some to prevent or treat infection/systemic invasion, due to the cats saliva while he was a pinky. I don’t currently have any (not expired) animal antibiotics. Is anyone able to help me figure out correct/proper dosing using human antibiotics??

I have:
    Amoxicillin 500mg caps
    Doxycycline 100 mg caps
    Doxycycline 50 mg caps

Default Re: Antibiotics…please help.

I’m VERY concerned, my little one needs antibiotic therapy. When I rescued him, there were multiple injuries from a cat on the tail, and one small one on the torso. His weight has remained the same for MANY days. He is under developed and emaciated.

Still remains quite energetic, and enthusiastic. Healthy appetite. Most of the scabs on the tail have fallen off. The small “pimple” like abscess on his foot has gone away, without being drained. But (even though I hate using antibiotics, unless 100% necessary), I think it’s time to treat with some to prevent or treat infection/systemic invasion, due to the cats saliva while he was a pinky. I don’t currently have any (not expired) animal antibiotics. Is anyone able to help me figure out correct/proper dosing using human antibiotics??

I have:
    Amoxicillin 500mg caps
    Doxycycline 100 mg caps
    Doxycycline 50 mg caps
    If the Doxycycline is current or not expired longer then two years it would be the better choice over Amoxicillian.
    We need a weight on baby for proper dosing, all meds are dosed by body weight.
    Post baby's weight and I or another admin can tell you how to properly dilute and dose for your baby.
    You will need a 1 cc/ml syringe for dosing.

Edit: I just read through your other forum...
    It appears baby has had some diarrhea and you have been having some formula confusion as to what to feed.
    I'm assuming your reference to FV 30/50 is actually FV 20/50? What is the formula you are feeding now?

Baby's eyes generally open at five weeks. It could be really helpful if you would post a few pictures to assess baby's age and condition.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-02-2022 at 03:24 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Only 29 grams. Have not been able to get him to progress beyond 29 for days!

Even though he is not lethargic or weak at all. I am very concerned there is a possible infection internally, caused by the cat saliva.

I CANNOT get him to gain weight, and he is extremely underdeveloped, despite doing EVERYTHING right. I just want him to get better, and come through this.

It’s heartbreaking. He is SUCH a FIGHTER. With an INCREDIBLE will to survive!

What about 50/50 esbilac & FV 30/50?
    Do you mean Fox Valley 20/50?

If yes, I would transition him to the half Esbilac and half FV 20/50...

Yes I meant 20/50 :/

I have:
    Amoxicillin 500mg caps
    Doxycycline 100 mg caps
    Doxycycline 50 mg caps
    Hi Tashhaven:

Thanks you so much for caring for this little Squirrel! I hope that your little guy will eventually thrive and gain weight and some day be released! The comments I am about to make are not meant to discourage your or add to your worry, they are just the sad facts. I just want caution you that regardless of all of your wonderful and conscientious efforts and your very best intentions there may be a less than satisfactory outcome in spite of it all. I love cats and have one but she does not go outside (and does not come in contact with Sammy or any Squirrels in my care). I wish all cats were all kept indoors. Cats are natural hunters and even their favorite play revolves around activities and movements that share commonality with hunting. Outdoor cats injure, maim and kill countless baby animals in their instinctual hunting every baby season! They have relatively long, thin, and very sharp teeth and often the damage that is done with these teeth goes far beyond what may be visible and what may be visible is often very serious in itself! Deep penetration by these teeth can cause injury to internal organs, occult (unseen) bleeding, deep abscesses (pus pocket), perforation of the stomach, bowels or lungs, serious bruising, crush injuries, and broken bones among other serious problems. I would recommend continuing your best efforts at providing nutritional support and I strongly support the use of an appropriate antibiotic. The antibiotic that is most often prescribed for treating infections from cat bites (and bites from many other animal and human bites) is Amocicillin-Clavulanate (a brand name for human use is Augmentin and a common Veterinary brand of Amoxicillin-Clavulanate is Clavamox). Augmentin or amoxicillin-clavulanete is a very very common antibiotic for human prescribibing and maybe you, a friend or relative might have even 1 or 2 of these available somewhere! Please try now to find this antibiotic if at all possible as of the commonly available and also appropriate antibiotics for treatment of cat bite related infections; Amoxicillin-clavulanate is the best. Also, please know that while you have amoxicillin, it is NOT the same as Amoxicillin-clavulanate. Hopefully my post will also "bump" your thread. StepNStone or one of the other Admins can provide mixing and dosing instructions for you via Private Message.
    Again, I with the very best for your Little Squirrel and for you as well! Does your baby Squirrel have a name?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I sent Doxy dosing early this morning (~5AM?) but forgot to post.

If you do find some Augmentin we'll help with that dosing as well.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-02-2022), stepnstone (09-02-2022)

My apologies to all! I am so very appreciative for all of your input and support.

I will attempt to figure out how to upload a couple photos.

(Yes…I meant 20/50)

The FV boost arrived tonight. I was feeding 50/50 esbilac powder & 20/50. Tonight I added 1/4 part FV boost to the mix. As of the weighing this evening, he gained 3 grams! Was 29, now is 32. But is still severely underweight.

However I’m grateful to be progressing in the right direction again.

I will be administering suspended doxy and some probiotics shortly. Once the recent feeding is somewhat digested.

Stool appears to be firming up, thankfully!

Re: cats and infection/death…
    I am all too familiar with the horrific and fatal outcome of cat bites. I realize it doesn’t make much difference where the injury occurs,as most of the damage is caused by the awfulness in the saliva. Yet I’m grateful, because there were no puncture wounds, or other potentially hideous injuries, and the damage was almost entirely localized to the tail. Which has healed 80-90% now.

About to go give the meds, and administer a nice warm Qtip bath. I will take some current photos and post afterward.

Like I said though, he is still very emaciated. But I’m very hopeful now with the weight gain, adding the boost.

Also… I’m a weirdo.

For some odd reason I tend to always refer to the eye closed babies (ESPECIALLY pinkies) as he, his, him, “little guy” lol.

Don’t know why.

But this one is a female, and her name is Lucy.

I think it has to do with my fear of admitting attachment, and the potential loss. I’ve been through it so many times.

But as y’all know. You are attached! And there is no escaping the 100 % emotional investment and absolute love you feel.

❤️LUCY

EDIT to prior post:

**“I’m very hopeful now with the weight gain, AND WITH adding the boost.”**

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-02-2022)

Name:  AD498F05-F965-4725-B5B5-839E06F24A01.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  60.4 KBName:  F95D2FE2-AD0A-4441-BCCD-6F77D597297C.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  73.6 KBName:  B5B0D165-D5B7-4041-B89F-8C7E90578042.jpg
Views: 104