Thread: Intermittent Clicking, only have expired Amox

Question Intermittent Clicking, only have expired Amox

Hello all,

I have a 4-5 week old fox squirrel who has had formula come out his nose a couple times over the last 2 weeks since we found him. He seems 100% fine overall but does have some intermittent clicking. It usually occurs for a minute or two right after he eats, then stops, which I've read on some other threads isn't concerning so long as the clicking stops. What concerns me more is that I occasionally hear it when he's sleeping, but only when he's in certain positions. We've tried several times to determine if it's coming from his mouth or lungs, and while I'm 95% sure it's from his mouth, it's a little difficult for me to be certain since a lot of times when I hold him up to my ear, the sound stops.

From watching videos & reading other posts, I don't think it's AP, which is why I posted in non-emergency. That being said, I went digging through my cabinets to see if I have any abx just in case it gets worse or he develops any other symptoms. I found some 100mg Amoxicillin tabs that were prescribed for my dog, but the bottle says use before 09/2018. If he were to develop any symptoms, would these be okay to use with the right dosage calculations? Or should I toss them since they are expired?

Thanks!

Default Re: Intermittent Clicking, only have expired Amox

They are better than nothing but not much better... Amoxicillin is not greatly effective at treating Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). Augmentin on the other hand, which is Amoxicillin plus clavulanate is effective against AP (vet med is Clavamox). Other effective antibiotics against AP include Cipro (Baytril), Bactrim (SMP/TMP), Doxycycline. Others can be effective so if you locate anything else, post and someone will advise.

It is wise to have an effective AP treatment on hand whenever raising squirrels.

If his appetite is good and he is not lethargic (hard to determine with baby squirrels that sleep all the time) it is likely not AP.

Red face Re: Intermittent Clicking, only have expired Amox

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If his appetite is good and he is not lethargic (hard to determine with baby squirrels that sleep all the time) it is likely not AP.
    He’s definitely not lethargic - he’s gotten more active & curious over the last several days, so we've started let him move around an enclosed space outside his Rubbermaid box after meals. And he has a big appetite still.

I’ll keep watching for symptoms & see if I can find some of the other ABX options in the meantime.