Thread: Found baby squirrel super dehydrated with diarrhea and skinny

Question Found baby squirrel super dehydrated with diarrhea and skinny

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I found a baby squirrel last Sunday orphaned by the mother. He was thinking, maggot in ear and on fur, one eye open and cold. I rushed him home and bought esbalic formula. I used pedialyte the first 24 hours then the formula. He started to get diarrhea and became skinnier. I stopped the pedialyte and went fir the one teaspoon of sugar in one cup hot water. He really drinks it. But he still is very skinny. So I did the method for a few feedings then went to half powder to two parts water. Then found out I didn't have the priobiotic can of esbalic. So I rushed to the nearest store and bought it. Well this was yesterday morning. So I started to give him one half part powder to two parts water every 3 hours. I have been giving him the sugar water every other half hour. He drinks it like he can't get enough. No So much on the formula. He starts out liking the formula then not caring much but I encourage him to finish then he drinks it. I make sure at every feeding his body temperature is great. He has been staying warm all the time. Well today his poop started to get brown and sticky. Like little chunks but still a little yellow liquid. He is extremely skinny. Is this a sign he us getting better? He has strength and energy. I would say he is about 4 weeks. He is well furred, bottom teeth and one eye opened. He crawls and his tail fur is getting more fluffy. I ordered fox valley formula. It comes tomorrow. I can start that right away. It says made for squirrels... Oh and his urine is clear and he peesbut being so skinny it's hard to do a pinch test as it's hard to grab skin... I will upload a picture. Any input is great and gratefully needed. Right now our local rescues are full at the moment. I live in Southern Maryland. I have all the time in the world to help so I'm trying my best.
    Name:  20220809_221113.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  58.5 KB

Default Re: Found baby squirrel super dehydrated with diarrhea and skinny

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalc1990 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. I found a baby squirrel last Sunday orphaned by the mother. He was thinking, maggot in ear and on fur, one eye open and cold. I rushed him home and bought esbalic formula. I used pedialyte the first 24 hours then the formula. He started to get diarrhea and became skinnier. I stopped the pedialyte and went fir the one teaspoon of sugar in one cup hot water. He really drinks it. But he still is very skinny. So I did the method for a few feedings then went to half powder to two parts water. Then found out I didn't have the priobiotic can of esbalic. So I rushed to the nearest store and bought it. Well this was yesterday morning. So I started to give him one half part powder to two parts water every 3 hours. I have been giving him the sugar water every other half hour. He drinks it like he can't get enough. No So much on the formula. He starts out liking the formula then not caring much but I encourage him to finish then he drinks it. I make sure at every feeding his body temperature is great. He has been staying warm all the time. Well today his poop started to get brown and sticky. Like little chunks but still a little yellow liquid. He is extremely skinny. Is this a sign he us getting better? He has strength and energy. I would say he is about 4 weeks. He is well furred, bottom teeth and one eye opened. He crawls and his tail fur is getting more fluffy. I ordered fox valley formula. It comes tomorrow. I can start that right away. It says made for squirrels... Oh and his urine is clear and he peesbut being so skinny it's hard to do a pinch test as it's hard to grab skin... I will upload a picture. Any input is great and gratefully needed. Right now our local rescues are full at the moment. I live in Southern Maryland. I have all the time in the world to help so I'm trying my best.
    Name:  20220809_221113.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  58.5 KB
    Fox Valley 20/50? If yes that will be great. The Esbilac should be 1 part powder to 2 parts water. If this is not what you are mixing (I am unsure) please mix it this way). Same ratio with FV... 1 part powder, 2 parts water.