Thread: Not pooping or peeing

Default Not pooping or peeing

Thanks for helping.

I’ve watched a number of videos and am confident I’m stimulating correctly. I give up about two or three minutes in.

I found some babies with one eye open and they seem to be fully furred. I’m guessing just under five weeks.

One of them pooped on me during a first feeding yesterday but now it’s been a full day with nothing from all three.

I’m feeding Ebsiliac(spelling) 1:2 powder:water, then I cut that 50/50 with pedialyte.

Yesterday they only got pedialyte and this morning I began feeding the formula/ pedialyte mix.

Everyone eats well. They’re active for usually about ten minutes after eating and then they settle in.

I’m super concerned about the lack of stool. They won’t urinate for me but I see some slight discolorations in their bedding. I’m just not sure.

Default Re: Not pooping or peeing

Quote Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
    Thanks for helping.

I’ve watched a number of videos and am confident I’m stimulating correctly. I give up about two or three minutes in.

I found some babies with one eye open and they seem to be fully furred. I’m guessing just under five weeks.

One of them pooped on me during a first feeding yesterday but now it’s been a full day with nothing from all three.

I’m feeding Ebsiliac(spelling) 1:2 powder:water, then I cut that 50/50 with pedialyte.

Yesterday they only got pedialyte and this morning I began feeding the formula/ pedialyte mix.

Everyone eats well. They’re active for usually about ten minutes after eating and then they settle in.

I’m super concerned about the lack of stool. They won’t urinate for me but I see some slight discolorations in their bedding. I’m just not sure.
    Never, ever mix pedialyte in formula as it is counter productive.

Feeding formula results in fluids rushing from the tissues into the stomach for digestion. Hydration (Pedialyte) is the opposite... trying to get fluids out of the stomach into the tissue. If hydration is needed then give that between formula feedings.

Babies can go up to 72 hours before pooping... they arrive and we hydrate for 24 hours before starting formula. They might poop some dark stools (momma's milk) but then stop for a day or two. After 24 hours of hydration we start formula and it can take a day or more before they poop the golden poops from Esbilac / Fox Valley formulas.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

CritterLover (08-13-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Feeding formula results in fluids rushing from the tissues into the stomach for digestion. Hydration (Pedialyte) is the opposite... trying to get fluids out of the stomach into the tissue. If hydration is needed then give that between formula feedings.

Babies can go up to 72 hours before pooping... they arrive and we hydrate for 24 hours before starting formula. They might poop some dark stools (momma's milk) but then stop for a day or two. After 24 hours of hydration we start formula and it can take a day or more before they poop the golden poops from Esbilac / Fox Valley formulas.

Spanky's comments regarding the separation of solutions used for "Rehydration" and those used for nutrition and general fluid maintenance (Formula) are extremely important! While the purposes of each type of fluid administration (rehydration and nutrition/fluid maintenance) may have similarities, they have different goals and purposes and each must be controlled on an individual basis!

The following is from one of the FAQ's from Abbott (the company that manufactures Pedialye) on the Pedialyte Information page and is very clear as to why these should never be utilized together:
    Q. Can I mix Pedialyte with formula?
    No, we do not recommend mixing Pedialyte with formula. When Pedialyte and formula are mixed together, the nutrient and mineral content of both would change, along with the osmolality (my note: this is basically a measure of the concentration of dissolved particles in a solution). The mixture could also become clumpy and hard for your baby (My note: Squirrel) to drink.
    Thanks!
    SamtheSquirrel

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

CritterLover (08-13-2022), Spanky (08-13-2022)

Thank you both so much for the help.

I saw a couple of videos that said it could be cut with pedialyte! How terribly frustrating. Coming up on my next feeding here so excellent timing.

Should I feed full strength (1:2 formula), or cut it with half water the way I’ve been cutting it with half pedialyte?

I did get dark stool from two of the three. I finally gave in and they got warm baths (lower half) while I rubbed their bellies. After that, stimulation got them to poop really well. The third one pooped yesterday so I think we’ve made it through another day.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to t3l01v from:

CritterLover (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
    Should I feed full strength (1:2 formula), or cut it with half water the way I’ve been cutting it with half pedialyte?
    Full strength formula... 1 part powdered Esbilac, 2 parts water.

Full strength formula... 1 part powdered Esbilac, 2 parts water.
    Thank you so much for adminning this resource. I’m grateful if for no other reason than the relief from anxiety.

So glad this board exists.