Thread: 3-4 week old male not doing well please help

Default 3-4 week old male not doing well please help

I have rehabbed a baby squirrel before but this one is older and not in as good condition. I found him 3 days ago. Had FV 32/40 and started feeding that every 3 hours. Yesterday I added in honey water in between some of his feedings as he is pretty dehydrated but eating ok. I did not realize how emaciated he was as I thought ge was younger. He has light fur and lower teeth but eyes are still closed. I weighed him and he is 46 grams but is only taking 2 cc avg per feeding. Yesterday he had hard stools and today they are sticky and looser. I am now offering fluids in between formula.

I have FV 20/50 should I switch him since ge appears to be older?
    How best should I continue to help him from here?

Default Re: 3-4 week old male not doing well please help

Quote Originally Posted by dodd_02 View Post
    I have rehabbed a baby squirrel before but this one is older and not in as good condition. I found him 3 days ago. Had FV 32/40 and started feeding that every 3 hours. Yesterday I added in honey water in between some of his feedings as he is pretty dehydrated but eating ok. I did not realize how emancipated he was as I thought ge was younger. He has light fur and lower teeth but eyes are still closed. I weighed him and he is 46 grams but is only taking 2 cc avg per feeding. Yesterday he had hard stools and today they are sticky and looser. I am now offering fluids in between formula.

I have FV 20/50 should I switch him since ge appears to be older?
    How best should I continue to help him from here?
    Yes, please transition him to the 20/50. We have had issues with the 32/40 for some time and don't recommend it. Don't switch directly from one to another - blend already mixed of each formula so you taper the ew/40 off and gradually replace it with the 20/50.

I believe that dehydration is your biggest problem now. Did you rehydrate him at all before beginning to feed him? Rule #1 is First warm them up, then rehydrate and then begin feeding, even if you have to give hydration only for a half a day before starting food. They can't digest properly if either cool or dehydrated.

I would use either pedialyte or a homemade rehydration recipe WITH the salt for one day. It will help with his electrolyte level. One day only for that.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

dodd_02 (08-11-2022), stepnstone (08-11-2022)

I warmed him but started with feedings and not hydration. I will try the pedialyte. How many days should I transition?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes, please transition him to the 20/50. We have had issues with the 32/40 for some time and don't recommend it. Don't switch directly from one to another - blend already mixed of each formula so you taper the ew/40 off and gradually replace it with the 20/50.

I believe that dehydration is your biggest problem now. Did you rehydrate him at all before beginning to feed him? Rule #1 is First warm them up, then rehydrate and then begin feeding, even if you have to give hydration only for a half a day before starting food. They can't digest properly if either cool or dehydrated.

I would use either pedialyte or a homemade rehydration recipe WITH the salt for one day. It will help with his electrolyte level. One day only for that.
    I did warm him but started formula and not fluids.
    Do I still feed formula and pedialyte for the day or just pedialyte?
    How many days should I take to transition the formula?

Quote Originally Posted by dodd_02 View Post
    I did warm him but started formula and not fluids.
    Do I still feed formula and pedialyte for the day or just pedialyte?
    How many days should I take to transition the formula?
    Feed the pedialyte in between your formula feedings. I don't think the formulas are THAT different - spend a day, day and a half going to the 20/50 and just watch poops and speed of digestion. You don't want things to slow down OR speed up!

Do the pedialyte just for the one day. If you feel he needs additional hydration after that - putting a photo up here would be a help - go back to the honey water or sugar water (not much of either honey or sugar there though - just a taste.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

dodd_02 (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Feed the pedialyte in between your formula feedings. I don't think the formulas are THAT different - spend a day, day and a half going to the 20/50 and just watch poops and speed of digestion. You don't want things to slow down OR speed up!

Do the pedialyte just for the one day. If you feel he needs additional hydration after that - putting a photo up here would be a help - go back to the honey water or sugar water (not much of either honey or sugar there though - just a taste.
    Thank you, thank you! The fluids perked him right up. He has eaten well all day and taken fluids in between. My concern now is that he still has runny soft stools and he may become dehydrated again. If this happens, can the miracle mixture of water, sugar, and salt be used again? Is there a rule on frequency? Or what is the why behind not using again? I appreciate ur sharing ur knowledge. I’m trying to figure out how to share a photo now.
    Attached Images Attached Images