Thread: Babies not eating/ diarrhea

Default Babies not eating/ diarrhea

Hi. My son and I found two pinkies in a blown down nest 3. 5 weeks ago. I assume the babies were fairly newborn. They were pink and hairless. We decided to try and save them after it was clear that mom was not coming back. We have a boy and a girl. We feed them ebsilac puppy formula mixed like the package says. They are now furred, still laying on belly, eyes closed. Tail is furry with a bald strip on underside. I dint know their weight and have been feeding every 3 hours during day based on a chart I found that estimates feeding amount based on age. I am now feeding around 3 ml with a syringe that has a nipple attached. Anyway, all was going well until last night when the girl stopped eating and I noticed diarrhea. The boys began having diarrhea today. They are usually very enthusiastic eaters. I dear I may have overfed them? Or they are just sick for sone other reason? I have just been giving them a little pedialyte today every few hours to let their digestive system rest. Any ideas? They seems lethargic and the diarrhea is ongoing.

Default Re: Babies not eating/ diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by mrslaw25 View Post
    Hi. My son and I found two pinkies in a blown down nest 3. 5 weeks ago. I assume the babies were fairly newborn. They were pink and hairless. We decided to try and save them after it was clear that mom was not coming back. We have a boy and a girl. We feed them ebsilac puppy formula mixed like the package says. They are now furred, still laying on belly, eyes closed. Tail is furry with a bald strip on underside. I dint know their weight and have been feeding every 3 hours during day based on a chart I found that estimates feeding amount based on age. I am now feeding around 3 ml with a syringe that has a nipple attached. Anyway, all was going well until last night when the girl stopped eating and I noticed diarrhea. The boys began having diarrhea today. They are usually very enthusiastic eaters. I dear I may have overfed them? Or they are just sick for sone other reason? I have just been giving them a little pedialyte today every few hours to let their digestive system rest. Any ideas? They seems lethargic and the diarrhea is ongoing.
    Have you been storing the Esbilac powder in the freezer (the fridge at a minimum)? It will go rancid if left at room temperature after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Have you been storing the Esbilac powder in the freezer (the fridge at a minimum)? It will go rancid if left at room temperature after opening.
    No . I have not. I thought it would be fine since it was a powder. I wonder if I should throw it out and buy a new can.

No . I have not. I thought it would be fine since it was a powder. I wonder if I should throw it out and buy a new can.
    Yes.

thank you for sharing, helped me too.

Yes.
    Update. Babies doing better now. I got new formula and they are eating and having solid stools again. They seemed to know the other stuff was “ off” since they did not want to eat it. They are enthusiastically eating normal amounts today. Can’t wait for their eyes to open! I am surprised that the formula makers do not put this on container. It just said to store in a cool dry place. Not refrigerate.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mrslaw25 from:

Chirps (08-10-2022)

Update. Babies doing better now. I got new formula and they are eating and having solid stools again. They seemed to know the other stuff was “ off” since they did not want to eat it. They are enthusiastically eating normal amounts today. Can’t wait for their eyes to open!
    Great news!

I am surprised that the formula makers do not put this on container. It just said to store in a cool dry place. Not refrigerate.
    This way they sell more formula? Dunno But countertop storage almost always goes rancid.

I am surprised that the formula makers do not put this on container. It just said to store in a cool dry place. Not refrigerate.
    Yes.
    Also interesting that while the can reads dry cool place the Esbilac webpage FAQ says to store in fridge or freezer:
    A Common Question

Do your milk replacer powders need to be refrigerated?

Yes, all kitten and puppy milk replacers must be refrigerated after opening. Esbilac® and KMR® powders are milk-based and contain fat, therefore have the potential to spoil under certain conditions. They can also experience bacterial growth when stored improperly. The can of powder has to be kept in the refrigerator or freezer after it has been opened. The powders will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

https://www.petag.com/products/esbil...eplacer-powder