Thread: Nail cutting

Default Nail cutting

I believe my squirrels nails are too long and would like to do a little trim. I don’t plan on cutting them super short as of course she needs them long but it seems that her nails are getting stuck on my clothing and just overall seem long. I don’t believe she has MBD as she shows no other signs other than the occasional nail getting a bit stuck. Is there any way or trick to cut squirrels nails?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asteria from:

Diggie's Friend (08-07-2022)

Default Re: Nail cutting

You can use the smaller human fingernail trimmer.

Nip just the bare tip, no more; otherwise you might cut into the cuticle which hurts and causes a bit of bleeding.

Okay I will do just the tips. Is there really any way to get them to be distracted or to be calm while doing their nails? Usually she likes to cuddle and have her head scratched so maybe when she’s like that I can do it quick. I just want to be careful so nothing happens to her

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asteria from:

Diggie's Friend (08-08-2022)

For our girl I would burrito her with just one leg or arm at a time exposed; with her lying on her back in my lap that removes traction so they can't get away. I held her body with the palm of my one hand and nail nipper and and her footie and each toe with the other. Focus on doing what she will allow at a time; if then she gets too fussy or upset, then let her go and continue the trim job in the next session, as it is less stressful that way. Sometimes she would put up with near all her toenails being trimmed; but letting me know she had had enough for that round. Go with the flow on this one is my best advice; there is no hurry, you will eventually get them all done.

Petting and talking to your squirrel may help them to relax and focus off what you are doing to some extent. Two people handling them at once we found never was acceptable; as you know, most squirrels pick one person that they accept to handle them if at all.

Trimming the nails in an enclosure where you can get in it with them sitting down on the floor with the squirrel in a blanket in your lap, worked well for us. It is really worth constructing an indoor enclosure even if it is just big enough to get inside it and handle juveniles and adult squirrels in situations like this when needed. Save then the squirrel is really trusting when handled, containment lends support with safety. If you don't have a large enclosure, pick a room that is safe surface wise, removing all clutter and things that can be chewed on as possible. If the squirrel gets away in the room, having a nut on hand can act as like a magnet to lure them back to you. I don't recommend using the bathroom for reason of the hard fixtures accidents can easily happen.