Thread: Found a new baby I need help

Default Found a new baby I need help

Hi, my sweet lab found a baby in the ground. It had a bunch of fly eggs on it which I got off and bought the correct puppy formula and have been rehydrating first with the recipe on this page. He’s on a warm rice buddy that I keep re heating.
    I have Normosol R fluids, can I give him subQ fluids? When I check his skin, he’s very dehydrated.
    I’m an equine vet tech so I’m knowledgeable but I need to know if he can get Normosol R and how much? He weighs 68 grams and his eyes are still closed but he’s covered in hair.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jenn

Default Re: Found a new baby I need help

Keep him warm and try oral hydration with pedialyte even if its drop by drop. If he won't take it, you can sub-q him. I would probably get an oral Capstar dose in him as well since you saw the fly eggs.

For sub-q, try ~5% body weight, so about 3ml. If he is really dehydrated, you could go a bit higher (7-8% body weight) for initial sub-q.

Try to not mix oral hydration and formula (powered Esbilac?). Get him warm, hydrated and then switch over to formula. Typically he should get 5% body weight in formula at each feeding (3.4ml ).

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn99 View Post
    Hi, my sweet lab found a baby in the ground. It had a bunch of fly eggs on it which I got off and bought the correct puppy formula and have been rehydrating first with the recipe on this page. He’s on a warm rice buddy that I keep re heating.
    I have Normosol R fluids, can I give him subQ fluids? When I check his skin, he’s very dehydrated.
    I’m an equine vet tech so I’m knowledgeable but I need to know if he can get Normosol R and how much? He weighs 68 grams and his eyes are still closed but he’s covered in hair.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jenn
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Keep him warm and try oral hydration with pedialyte even if its drop by drop. If he won't take it, you can sub-q him. I would probably get an oral Capstar dose in him as well since you saw the fly eggs.

For sub-q, try ~5% body weight, so about 3ml. If he is really dehydrated, you could go a bit higher (7-8% body weight) for initial sub-q.

Try to not mix oral hydration and formula (powered Esbilac?). Get him warm, hydrated and then switch over to formula. Typically he should get 5% body weight in formula at each feeding (3.4ml ).
    Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve been giving him orally since noon a drop at a time let him swallow then another drop. He’s still very dehydrated. If I give 3 ml subQ like you said can he get the normosol R and is a 22 g needle ok? I thought I had 25 but I can’t seem to locate.

I think a 22g is fine.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve been giving him orally since noon a drop at a time let him swallow then another drop. He’s still very dehydrated. If I give 3 ml subQ like you said can he get the normosol R and is a 22 g needle ok? I thought I had 25 but I can’t seem to locate.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I think a 22g is fine.
    Is normosol R ok?

I am not a vet and have not used normosol R but extreme dehydration is life threatening so while LRS is the standard, I think normosol R is fine to use as an initial replacement fluid but try to switch over to oral hydration ASAP.

Is normosol R ok?
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 08-06-2022 at 04:22 AM.

-Grateful Dead

Update: She didn’t make it overnight. I checked on her a couple times and gave her some oral fluids but she was gone this morning. She was warm so that wasn’t what caused it. At least she was warm and snuggled in the fleece when she went. ☹️

Thank you to those who replied.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jenn99 from:

sundoesshine (08-06-2022)

Hi, just seeing this. Just wanted to say sorry, and thanks for caring for this baby.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Update: She didn’t make it overnight. I checked on her a couple times and gave her some oral fluids but she was gone this morning. She was warm so that wasn’t what caused it. At least she was warm and snuggled in the fleece when she went. ☹️

Thank you to those who replied.
    So sorry; that's rough. At least she was in a place that was warm and safe and where she felt cared for.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to The Nut Lady from: