Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Urgent help please.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Urgent help please.

    I'm from South Asia and have palm squirrel.
    She is 6+ years old now.

    Name:  sooki.png
Views: 84
Size:  147.2 KB

    5 days back she stopped eating solid food.
    Sleeping most of the time, and her legs are getting caught on clothes, looks like symptoms of MBD.
    But where we live, pure calcium carbonate tablets are not to be found.
    What I could find are Calcium tablets with Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Stabilized (brand named Kalzana).
    I here Vitamin D is poisonous to them.
    So was hoping if anyone have any other optional treatment for her which we could do.
    She is weak, we can feel her skeleton when pat her. It is heart breaking for us.

    There are no exotic vets where we live nor any vet who had good/extensive knowledge about squirrels.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    18,579
    Thanked: 8170

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Calcium carbonate is what eggshells are made of. Break a few eggs and save the insides for YOU. Rinse them well and then place in water and boil the shells for about 5 minutes. Drain and dry them off as best you can and then place in a low oven until totally dry and crunchy, then grind the shells and you have calcium powder. Complete instructions (you will have to calculate measurements for metric/centigrade measurements): https://www.peteandgerrys.com/blog/d...calcium-powder

    I found this site which is very good for palm squirrels. I was helping someone else over there and they said they contacted the site owner and she was really helpful: http://rehabbersden.org/index.php/36...-revised-contd

  3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

    CritterLover (08-09-2022), hansa (08-06-2022), island rehabber (08-04-2022), TubeDriver (08-04-2022)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,606
    Thanked: 1919

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Hi! I don't want to be negative, but how long do they live? If you've had her 6+ years and kept her healthy all that time, maybe she is just at the end of her lifespan?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

    hansa (08-06-2022)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Island, Bronx, NY
    Posts
    50,821
    Thanked: 16691

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Do you have Tums, or something similar over there? They can help with calcium and squirrels often like the flavor. Not the best treatment, but better than nothing.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator


    "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo


    *
    If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

    "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

    '...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Thank you so much all for your kind help.
    We are feeding her hydration liquid through a syringe now. She is fully blind now. So we make sure she wonít bump in to hard surfaces and she likes to cuddle under my arms and chest and sleep mostly. We are trying to force feed her some solid food puree, but she would only have the hydration liquid.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    18,579
    Thanked: 8170

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Keep trying the puree - if she has gotten dehydrated, it would make her not want to eat. After a day or day and a half, you will want to stop using the salt in the hydrating solution if you are making your own. The sweetness may encourage her to continue taking it.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Thanks a million for your kind advises.

    Today we notice that her upper tooth had gone missing.
    We could not find a upper tooth.

    about 6 weeks back we took her to a general vet to trim her both teeth (this was second time) and I think after this last session the tooth had might have fallen and stopped growing.
    So we think it is because of lost tooth that she had stopped eating. We are still feeding her blended food (as puree). She drinks water by herself but still reluctant to have solid food by herself.
    Her bottom tooth is growing at a fast rate and yesterday we had to trimmed it. We did it by our self and didn't take her to the vet.

    Any advice regarding the upper tooth?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.



    Her name was Sookiri (it's a sweet candy we call in our country)

    Name:  EFFECTS.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.5 KBName:  9ea379d9-241c-4948-8402-d14b58e6aeb4.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  39.0 KBName:  bdb1bcc8-45e3-44eb-a85e-61ffa858ce26.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  71.7 KBName:  e5a5530a-583f-4536-97f9-d093ec1b0bd4.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  72.0 KB

    She passed away today 14th August 2022, after spending her whole 6 1/2 year with us.
    She had a better, healthy, safe and adventurous life with us.
    She had traveled with us around the country and enjoyed various healthy and unhealthy food from all of us she knew.
    She was an energetic and interesting character to us.
    She was a child to us.

    We learned a lot about her kind and Iím sure we are more experienced than the most of the vetís here in my country.

    Please pray 🙏 for her to have a better life next.

    God bless her where ever she is now🙏🙏🙏

    Thank you all for your kind help and parers.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    387
    Thanked: 386

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Squirrel Hansa! Sookiri had a wonderful life and I know she was loved very much and I'm sure she felt your love constantly! I wish you and your family peace!
    RIP Little Sookiri!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

    hansa (08-14-2022)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    18,579
    Thanked: 8170

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    She is just adorable. I would love to "meet" one someday! It doesn't help to know this right now but I believe she is the oldest palm squirrel I have hear of. That means you did a very good job indeed.


  14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

    hansa (08-14-2022)

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,606
    Thanked: 1919

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    What a precious, precious girl! So sorry she finally had to leave you, but we just can't stop the inevitable. If you feel up to it, we would love to hear stories of Sookiri, and would love as many pictures as you feel like posting. It would help us honor her and your special relationship.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

    hansa (08-14-2022)

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,606
    Thanked: 1919

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Quote Originally Posted by hansa View Post


    Her name was Sookiri (it's a sweet candy we call in our country)

    Name:  EFFECTS.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.5 KBName:  9ea379d9-241c-4948-8402-d14b58e6aeb4.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  39.0 KBName:  bdb1bcc8-45e3-44eb-a85e-61ffa858ce26.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  71.7 KBName:  e5a5530a-583f-4536-97f9-d093ec1b0bd4.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  72.0 KB

    She passed away today 14th August 2022, after spending her whole 6 1/2 year with us.
    She had a better, healthy, safe and adventurous life with us.
    She had traveled with us around the country and enjoyed various healthy and unhealthy food from all of us she knew.
    She was an energetic and interesting character to us.
    She was a child to us.

    We learned a lot about her kind and Iím sure we are more experienced than the most of the vetís here in my country.

    Please pray 🙏 for her to have a better life next.

    God bless her where ever she is now🙏🙏🙏

    Thank you all for your kind help and parers.
    For that reason, I very much hope you will stay around on the board. It doesn't happen often, but from time to time people come here for help with palm squirrels. You might provide valuable, maybe lifesaving information. I'm sure it would make Sookiri very happy if you could help others have as great a life as she had.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

    SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-14-2022)

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    For that reason, I very much hope you will stay around on the board. It doesn't happen often, but from time to time people come here for help with palm squirrels. You might provide valuable, maybe lifesaving information. I'm sure it would make Sookiri very happy if you could help others have as great a life as she had.
    thank you so much and I will for sure stay-on, love to help anyone.
    Btw, I'm from the Island of Sri Lanka (Ceylon).

  20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to hansa from:

    Diggie's Friend (08-26-2022)

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    She is just adorable. I would love to "meet" one someday! It doesn't help to know this right now but I believe she is the oldest palm squirrel I have hear of. That means you did a very good job indeed.

    thank you so much for love.

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    What a precious, precious girl! So sorry she finally had to leave you, but we just can't stop the inevitable. If you feel up to it, we would love to hear stories of Sookiri, and would love as many pictures as you feel like posting. It would help us honor her and your special relationship.
    thank you so much, for sure I will share more stores and pictures of her.

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Urgent help please.

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Squirrel Hansa! Sookiri had a wonderful life and I know she was loved very much and I'm sure she felt your love constantly! I wish you and your family peace!
    RIP Little Sookiri!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    thank you so much for your love SamtheSquirrel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •