Thread: Pedialyte/constipation

Question Pedialyte/constipation

I have a baby pinkie (probably about 2 weeks old.) found him Wednesday night, tried reuniting with the mom 5 times in 2 days.) She wasn’t interested. (We actually saw her come more than once, look, and leave!) So I took him in. Gave him some pedialyte Wednesday night Thursday and Friday. In between that I had tried some puppy formula, but very little because my rehab contact told me to stick to only pedialyte for a few days. He pooped and peed ok for the first little while. Yesterday I was given Fox valley and introduced it slowly. He started having diarrhea yellow, green, a bit slimey even. I panicked and went back to pedialyte for a feeding. I switched back to puppy formula because I read about “sludge” horror stories and I was really scared. Diarrhea stopped, he is peeing a little (not extreme amounts but he still does a bit,) but had not pooped since the diarrhea last night.
    I am wondering if I should keep giving pedialyte or something else in between feedings? I read that it is normal not to poop for a few days from a new formula, and I’m not sure if he is dehydrated if he is still peeing a tiny bit…? So what I need to know is is it safe to continue pedialyte (I read it has a high salt content, so I maybe should not do it for too long.) any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Pedialyte/constipation

Pedialyte is only to be given for a short time no more than one day I believe.
    Then the formula.
    What formula are you using?
    Here's a chart for feeding I happen to be using with 3
    pinkies .
    Hardest part for me is getting and keeping the formula warm enough🙄
    I know others will be helping soon👍
    I got to go feed mine, good luck
    Name:  CHART.png
Views: 68
Size:  50.9 KB
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-30-2022)

He needs to get started on formula so he is not starving after 4 days. Giving Pedialyte for too long will overload their electrolytes, which is why we recommend pedialyte for not more than 24 hours. If hydration is still needed after 24 hours switching to plain water or water with just a touch of sugar (molasses, syrup, honey, sugar) is recommended.

Which Fox Valley were you feeding (e.g. 20/5, 32/40.. other)?

Which "puppy formula"? They are not all the same... Esbilac (powdered version) and Royal Canin are the only puppy formula that come close to meeting the needs of a baby squirrel.

From the background provided it sounds like he did not get any solids (pedialyte will not produce poop)... did he poop at all before the diarrhea? Poop from momma milk will be dark, almost black. Fox Valley is usually a golden color. That diarrhea you described sounds like "puppy formula" (non-Esbilac or Royale Canin) as most will result in diarrhea (including the pre-liquid Esbilac).

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Charley Chuckles (07-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-30-2022)

Post Re: Pedialyte/constipation

👋 Hi thanks to the replies!
    Sorry, I am new to this board, and not familiar how to respond to the questions. The puppy formula is the powdered Esbilac recommended one with the white puppy on it.The squirrel pooped at the beginning, blackish poop, I assume it was still from the moms milk. I was told by my wildlife rehabber to keep him strictly on pedialyte until Saturday night. Then to start on fox valley. 32/40 4-1 ratio for the first day, then reduce it the day after to 3-1 ratio the following day, etc..The diarrhea only started after the fox valley feeding. Not the Esbilac powder puppy formula.. I didn’t feel he was dehydrated because there were still droplets of pee coming out after his feedings. Now I’m worried he is getting bloated and wonder if I should give him something else- maybe even water down the puppy formula more?

Quote Originally Posted by Oksana View Post
    👋 Hi thanks to the replies!
    First welcome and thanks for taking in this little👍
    As Spanky said you don't want to give any more Pedialyte.
    I personally am using the Esbilac you described. unfortunately Fox Valley 32/40 had not been good for several years you'd be better with FV 20/50.
    HOWEVER it's not a great idea to keep switching formulas if you can help it.
    If your Esbilac is the one with probiotics in it that is what I'm using and will continue at least until they're eyes open approximately 5 weeks of age. I may at that time start them on Fox Valley 20/50, which is recommended.
    I've never heard of mixing the formulas like the ratio the rehabber recommended, it's always 2 parts warm water to 1part formula. I've also never heard of changing that 🤷 if you water the formula down they won't be getting the nutrition that they should.
    If diarrhea starts it could be an over feeding issue.
    Especially for pinkies it may be better to feed less more often, that just depends how your baby reacts.

I hope this helps.
    I'm working with 3 and it's a matter of finding the best plan and they all are different.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    If diarrhea starts it could be an over feeding issue.
    Over feeding is a common cause of diarrhea. Babies should be fed by weight. I am attaching a cheat sheet to help.

I would stick with the Esbilac until 3 - 4 weeks when you can switch to Fox Valley 20//50, or even better IMO half FV 20/50 and half Esbilac.

Make up the Esbilac hours ahead to allow it to more fully dissolve; this is especially critical for pinkies. Store the liquid in the Fridge and the open powder in the freezer.

Never reuse formula that was warmed and not fed... throw it out if it was warmed up but not used. Reusing warmed formula is another common cause of diarrhea.

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  63.7 KB

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Charley Chuckles (07-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-30-2022)