Thread: Need help! Saved a squirrel then she had babies!

Default Need help! Saved a squirrel then she had babies!

My boyfriend was doing yardwork on an extremely hot day several weeks ago when he peeked into the yard and garden trash and noticed a small squirrel in the bin. He immediately brought the squirrel in, cooled it down and made a small temporary space for it in a spare room so we could rehabilitate it and then re-release it when it was better.

The great news was that she survived, she began eating and drinking and slowly moving more. She went from limping to walking and then gained her energy back. We were looking to release her after the 4th of July so as not to stress her out from fireworks or anything. The weekend after the 4th, we took her outside and let her free but she wouldn't leave the yard and kept falling into the pool. We took her back in and decided we would keep trying every few days to see if she would leave on her own.

On the 20th, we awoke and she had given birth. The first day or so were fine but then the towel that she birthed them on began to smell and so my boyfriend tried to give her new nesting supplies and removed the towel so he could wash it.

He noticed she started not really wanting to be by the babies after he changed the nest and first the runt of the litter died. The next day no loss, but now the past two days each morning one has died. Last night when he noticed she was nowhere near them and not nursing them he put some extra warmth around them in a way so that he could tell in the morning if she had gone to them to nurse, nothing was changed so she didn't nurse or lie with them all night.

There are two babies and the mama left and we're at a loss now as to what to do or as to what we are doing wrong. Our local animal services has proven to be terrible at their job and so we don't trust them. I've tried looking for wildlife rehab centers but I'm just not sure where to go or what to do to save these little ones.

Everywhere I've read has said squirrels are wonderful mothers and would not leave their babies so I'm unsure as to why she is not nursing.

Please help, any advice is helpful!

Default Re: Need help! Saved a squirrel then she had babies!

Quote Originally Posted by xSurrah View Post
    My boyfriend was doing yardwork on an extremely hot day several weeks ago when he peeked into the yard and garden trash and noticed a small squirrel in the bin. He immediately brought the squirrel in, cooled it down and made a small temporary space for it in a spare room so we could rehabilitate it and then re-release it when it was better.

The great news was that she survived, she began eating and drinking and slowly moving more. She went from limping to walking and then gained her energy back. We were looking to release her after the 4th of July so as not to stress her out from fireworks or anything. The weekend after the 4th, we took her outside and let her free but she wouldn't leave the yard and kept falling into the pool. We took her back in and decided we would keep trying every few days to see if she would leave on her own.

On the 20th, we awoke and she had given birth. The first day or so were fine but then the towel that she birthed them on began to smell and so my boyfriend tried to give her new nesting supplies and removed the towel so he could wash it.

He noticed she started not really wanting to be by the babies after he changed the nest and first the runt of the litter died. The next day no loss, but now the past two days each morning one has died. Last night when he noticed she was nowhere near them and not nursing them he put some extra warmth around them in a way so that he could tell in the morning if she had gone to them to nurse, nothing was changed so she didn't nurse or lie with them all night.

There are two babies and the mama left and we're at a loss now as to what to do or as to what we are doing wrong. Our local animal services has proven to be terrible at their job and so we don't trust them. I've tried looking for wildlife rehab centers but I'm just not sure where to go or what to do to save these little ones.

Everywhere I've read has said squirrels are wonderful mothers and would not leave their babies so I'm unsure as to why she is not nursing.

Please help, any advice is helpful!

Hopefully one of our CA members will reach out to you with a solution.
    In the meantime... your momma.
    I'm posting the link below on baby squirrel care.
    Go to this link in will be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Chirps (07-25-2022)

Hi, and thanks for caring! Tying to understand clearly a few things. Is she still in your home, and staying away from the babies in whatever room she's in? She's not released yet, correct?

I hope an expert sees this and replies, but for now it seems you can assume she has abandoned them for reasons known only to herself. If you want the others to survive, you're Mom now. There's a link in my signature to baby squirrel care. Please check back in with any questions or concerns and someone will answer you asap.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Hopefully one of our CA members will reach out to you with a solution.
    In the meantime... your momma.
    I'm posting the link below on baby squirrel care.
    Go to this link in will be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Ah, oops, didn't see you'd already replied.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

You may already know these folks in your county, but I'm putting them here for you in case it helps!
    I have actually heard of cases (one right here on TSB) where a traumatized pregnant mamma squirrel would give birth but be mentally unable to care for her babies. (Sometimes they even hurt them -- be aware.) I sincerely hope you find someone who can take them and raise them to release, as caring for pinkies (2 weeks old and under) is not for the faint-hearted.

Cathy Garner (Shelter #1108783) x
    Fresno County Fresno, CA MAP IT
    ADD WEBSITE
    NO EMAIL

Fresno Wildlife Rehabilitation (Shelter #1108782) x
    ADD WEBSITE
    NO EMAIL

Lisa Dufur (Shelter #1108785) x
    ADD WEBSITE
    NO EMAIL

Critter Creek Wildlife Station (Shelter #1135753) x
    Fresno County 36710 Sand Creek Rd., Squaw Valley, CA 93675 MAP IT
    View Website New Tab
    We rescue aII wiIdIife in Fresno, TuIare, Kings, and parts of Kern and Madera counties. We have voIunteers spread throughout the CentraI VaIIey. By caIIing 338-2415 we are abIe to dispatch a voIunteer to heIp you. The animaI is given medicaI care if needed,brought to our faciIity and once heaIthy,is reIeased back into the wiId. © RescueSheIter.com

Dan Turner (Shelter #1108784) x
    Fresno County Squaw Valley, CA MAP IT
    View Website New Tab NO EMAIL
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (07-26-2022), Diggie's Friend (07-26-2022), Mermer9 (07-26-2022), stepnstone (07-26-2022)