Thread: What emergency care supplies to have on hand?

Default What emergency care supplies to have on hand?

Hi all. I've found TSB a few months ago and read it daily, as you all are GREAT!! I feed a few backyard squirrels and thanks to all your help, was able to get guidance on how to help our momma squirrel "Lefty" when she had an abscess on her head. She's all healed up and doing great. She still comes around daily along with 2-3 of her kids. I'm actually thinking that she may be carrying babies again, so we'll see. I love these friends dearly and hope that nothing ever happens to them, but of course I worry, as mother nature is not always easy of these little guys. I'm not a rehabber and don't pretend to be, so of course if anything happened, I would reach out for the appropriate help. I would however, like advice on things I could have on hand, just in case there is an injury again, or abandoned baby or something. I know I would be freaking out, so being prepared would help things. What would you all recommend for things to have for "just in case"? I hope it's like if you carry and umbrella, then it won't rain, kinda thing. I was thinking, based on what the things I've read here that maybe these would be a good start (and of course, meds would only be administrated under proper guidance)
    -pedialite
    -liquid infant ibuprofen
    -syringe
    -scale
    -basically what's in the Henry's Baby Squirrel kit (https://henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-kit/)

What else?
    What would be the best antibiotics to have on hand (most, all-purpose, type?

Thanks in advance, everybody. I appreciate all of you and this forum

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to The Nut Lady from:

CritterLover (08-09-2022)

Default Re: What emergency care supplies to have on hand?

A bottle of Betadyne (or store brand) 10% povidone iodine. Mixed at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon to 1 cup water, it is an unbeatable wound cleaner and disinfectant. In addition to that, it doesn't burn or sting, and dries on the fur like water, without a sticky residue (goop in their fur drives them nuts and they will start "grooming" a wound). Works for all of the humans in the family, too. It does make you a little orange...!

If I was forced to have only one antibiotic on hand, it would be Amoxicillin clavulanate. It is branded Augmentin to humans and Clavamox from vets, and generically as a bunch of different bits of the drug name (like "amoxi-clav"). It covers a bunch of bases. The Baytril you already have is an excellent drug for sort of a narrow slice of problems. Also, regardless of what antibiotic you are giving, adding probiotics to the diet during this time is a good idea. I like the probiotic capsules they sell for humans - the powder inside of them is slightly sweet tasting and the tiny pinch that you would give them can be sprinkled on just about any wet food. Probiotics should be given 2-3 hours before or after antibiotic dosing, not WITH the meds.

Since you are dealing with wild squirrels and not necessarily nursing babies (BEWARE, THIS IS COMING. You are clearly a sucker for squirrels and Nature knows these things ) you are likely to come upon them due to accidents/injuries. Try every contact you know and see if you can score yourself some prednisone or prednisolone. Steroids given early to animals showing paralysis *CAN* sometimes cause amazing cures. Sometimes, paralysis is due to internal swelling from whatever injury happened pressing on nerves that aren't supposed to be pressed on. Steroids are extremely powerful anti-inflammatories, and can knock the swelling down really quickly - before it does permanent damage.

You can either go to your local Tractor Supply farm type store or go online and buy a tube of 1.87% equine ivermectin. There are a bunch of different brands; just buy the cheapest. Some manufacturers add other anti-parasitics to the mix - it will say so on the label, and you don't want those - just plain old ivermectin. Three doses the size of a grain of uncooked rice (it is a gel or cream) stuffed into the wrinkles on the back of a pecan and handed over 3 times, each dose 7-10 days apart, will do a dandy job of clearing cases of mange in your wild population.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

CritterLover (08-09-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-22-2022)

Thank you so much for the advice! I can't believe I forgot the Betadyne on my list (I read about it on here all the time lol). I will start collecting things for this "go bag" type of thing that I hope I never have to use (but it's presence will help me worry just a lil bit less about these creatures I love so much). So, I'm going to order some things off of Henry's website (I've been buying bites, w/ my last order being a bag of Picky Bites and one of the Hazelnut Bites; just broke into the latter and they are not happy about it, so gotta buy some more picky bites lol). To save on the shipping costs, I figure now is as good of a time as any to buy some other items, so the heating pad is def going in the cart. I would like to buy some new syringes, as the ones I had to measure out meds before have started to loose their markings. I gotta admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the diff options. What would you suggest for having on hand (for med measuring or if hydrating/feeding is needed)? Also, is it safe to assume that I should hold off on buying any Fox Valley, as that would be better to get fresh, if it were ever needed (not sure how long it lasts in the freezer)? Hope I don't sound like a crazy person here (insert joke about being some sort of a squirrel "prepper" lol), I just worry a lot about these backyard friends that I care so much about. Thanks in advance.

BTW, below is my running list (pls advise on any other ideas)

-pedialite
    -liquid infant ibuprofen
    -syringe
    -scale
    -Betadyne
    -Antibiotics (currently have Augmentin). Any sources for getting Baytril (or prednisone for that matter)?
    -Ivermectin
    -Capstar
    -probiotics
    -plastic bin/tote with lid (holes, of course)
    -fleece blanket

CritterMom nailed it already, But don't forget miracle nipples-- you need at least 1 of each size, mini and regular.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

These syringes in 1ml will be fine: https://henryspets.com/miracle-slip-...ring-syringes/

Just save out 1 or 2 of them and keep in the packaging to use for dosing. The constant washing and handling of syringe feeding will rub the markings off the barrel so having a couple new ones for dosing is a good idea.

These are good too: https://henryspets.com/exacta-med-sl...ring-syringes/ They say that the numbers are harder to rub off - I find the white against the orange syringe hard to read in the first place. They DO have the .5ml size in stock though, and having an extra small one available for dosing is really nice.

Dosing and feeding: 1ml syringe. Dosing only: .5ml syringe Once they get bigger you will want a few 3ml syringes to feed with.

Oops - this is BIG and you get it from Henry's. Capstar. It is a super safe flea med for dogs and cats but for wildlife it is used to treat maggots. It takes little time for flies to find a wound and while you can physically pick them off the outside, what about the ones that are internal? Capstar - 1/4 tablet and within half an hour or so the maggots will literally be RUNNING off and out of the animal. And so safe if you aren't sure you can redose the next day. Henry's price on the entire pack is better than anywhere else on the internet that I can find but to make things even better, she will sell single pills and 3-pill strips. I ALWAYS have Capstar on hand and the chance to buy individual pills is wonderful. https://henryspets.com/capstar-11-4-...s-and-maggots/

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CritterLover (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    CritterMom nailed it already, But don't forget miracle nipples-- you need at least 1 of each size, mini and regular.
    Yes! Thank you! I was a bit torn on the type of nipples because Henry's sells the "Silicone Mothering Nipples" in their Baby Squirrel Kits, but I've always read good things about these Miracle Nipples. Thanks for helping me get "off the fence" on this one; Miracle Nipples in the cart.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to The Nut Lady from:

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    These syringes in 1ml will be fine: https://henryspets.com/miracle-slip-...ring-syringes/

Just save out 1 or 2 of them and keep in the packaging to use for dosing. The constant washing and handling of syringe feeding will rub the markings off the barrel so having a couple new ones for dosing is a good idea.

These are good too: https://henryspets.com/exacta-med-sl...ring-syringes/ They say that the numbers are harder to rub off - I find the white against the orange syringe hard to read in the first place. They DO have the .5ml size in stock though, and having an extra small one available for dosing is really nice.

Dosing and feeding: 1ml syringe. Dosing only: .5ml syringe Once they get bigger you will want a few 3ml syringes to feed with.

Oops - this is BIG and you get it from Henry's. Capstar. It is a super safe flea med for dogs and cats but for wildlife it is used to treat maggots. It takes little time for flies to find a wound and while you can physically pick them off the outside, what about the ones that are internal? Capstar - 1/4 tablet and within half an hour or so the maggots will literally be RUNNING off and out of the animal. And so safe if you aren't sure you can redose the next day. Henry's price on the entire pack is better than anywhere else on the internet that I can find but to make things even better, she will sell single pills and 3-pill strips. I ALWAYS have Capstar on hand and the chance to buy individual pills is wonderful. https://henryspets.com/capstar-11-4-...s-and-maggots/
    This was perfect! Thanks so much. I ordered everything you advised on. The info and links saved me a lot of work; much appreciated. And, yes - Capstar was for sure on the list. What the Henry's web site says that these maggots can do to babies is horrible. Definitely would not want to wait on providing Capstar when needed (also saw what those maggots did to Squirrelfriend's Maggie Mackintosh; so glad she's doing better in that regard). Thank you again for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post

Hi all. Follow-up question on the syringes. Is there a universal syringe cap that I could by that will fit all 3 of the types mentioned above? Thanks!