Thread: Flukers calcium with vitamin D

Default Flukers calcium with vitamin D

I've got a question just for my own curiosity.
    Squirrels need calcium and when one does have MBD we recommend the MBD protocol and for Calcium to absorb the body needs Vitamin D
    But we always tell people to use calcium without Vitamin D

Is the Vitamin D too high in the flukers or any other reptile calcium powder?
    I looked at the label of flukers brand with D and it says ingredients are calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3 supplement and that's it and the guaranteed analysis reads calcium (not less than)38%
    Vitamin D3 (not less than) 100,000 IU/pound
    It also says phosphorus free

Default Re: Flukers calcium with vitamin D

Diet block has enough D3 included, and should not be increased.

Excess Vitamin D3 promotes the calcification of the kidneys which damages the kidneys and can even lead to premature death in rodents.

Adding calcium to block diets should only be done by adding calcium only, not those sources that combine with D3.

When making homemade diets from scratch, in order to support the daily requirements for tree squirrels;

both calcium and D3 need to be provided from separate sources, never from any source that combines these two nutrients.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Winnie77 (07-21-2022), WwwLllSss (01-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie77 View Post
    I've got a question just for my own curiosity.
    Squirrels need calcium and when one does have MBD we recommend the MBD protocol and for Calcium to absorb the body needs Vitamin D
    But we always tell people to use calcium without Vitamin D

Is the Vitamin D too high in the flukers or any other reptile calcium powder?
    I looked at the label of flukers brand with D and it says ingredients are calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3 supplement and that's it and the guaranteed analysis reads calcium (not less than)38%
    Vitamin D3 (not less than) 100,000 IU/pound
    It also says phosphorus free
    Last edited by CritterMom; 07-21-2022 at 06:41 PM. Reason: deleted per STS2018

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Winnie77 (07-21-2022)

I reread the actual Ingredient list for the Flukers Calcium + Vitamin D and I have made an error with this as the percentages of Calcium and Vitamin D are in relation to the Flukers preparation only and not a formulated diet. I will ask that an Admin delete my post as it was constructed in error. There are concerns about using fixed concentrations but it is not the same as what I stated as this was my my misperception of what the Flukers container stated.
    Sorry for any confusion. Boy, what a bunch of wasted math!
    StS
    Last edited by CritterMom; 07-21-2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: deleted per STS2018

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Winnie77 (07-21-2022)

Wait I have a question in reference to D3 use for humans.
    I take a lot of D3 can that cause kidney issues🤷
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Winnie77 (07-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Wait I have a question in reference to D3 use for humans.
    I take a lot of D3 can that cause kidney issues🤷

I'm curious now too because I have to take prescription D3 along with prescription calcium and now I also have to take a prescription to protect my Kidneys 😬

My DISCLAIMER: This is not medical advice and any vitamin supplementation should be specifically discussed with your respective physicians and a definitive plan agreed upon and formulated before taking any medication or supplements. So much for that!

Excessive Vitamin D can potentially cause kidney problems but it is not from direct action of the excessive Vitamin D on the kidneys. The main problems resulting from hypervitaminosis D (essentially the overdosing of Vitamin D) are related to the effects of Vitamin D on calcium metabolism. Excessive Vitamin D can result in a dangerous increase in Calcium and this high Calcium can cause kidney problems along with a number of other very significant problems. Following well accepted guidelines for vitamin intake (such as those summarized by the Recommended Daily Allowances) or the treatment of a formally diagnosed condition that requires vitamin supplementation in conjunction with the guidance of an appropriately trained and experienced physician is usually very safe and is all that would ordinarily be needed. Many (probably most or nearly all) cases of hypervitaminosis D in adults are secondary to "mega dosing" of vitamins; a practice that has no defined advantages along with many well recognized risks of significant complications resulting from vitamin overdosing.

In our care of animals, we all know that we must be very careful and concerned about the diets we provide for these animals, especially since most of them in a rehab setting and in the setting of them being our pets as well are totally dependent upon us to to ensure that they have as near to ideal nutrition as possible and further, to protect them from any potential adverse effects inadequate, excessive or potentially harmful dietary constituents. Using formal and evidence based guidelines if we chose to formulate a diet for our Squirrels or other animals seems to me to be essential! The responsibility and work necessary to ensure adequate and safe nutritional support for our Squirrels truly requires an almost obsessive nature to do correctly and this can be lessened considerably by utilizing a comprehensive, all inclusive commercial diet such a Envigo 2014 or 2018 (formerly Harlan-Teklad) which is formulated based upon well accepted nutritional guidelines such as those in the Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals,: Fourth Revised Edition, 1995. This particular set of Guidelines forms the basis for Henry's Healthy Blocks and it is stated so on the ingredients label present every bag of the product.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

The Nut Lady (07-22-2022), Winnie77 (07-23-2022)