Thread: Blind Chipmunk Care and Mystery

Question Blind Chipmunk Care and Mystery

Hey all! Brand newcomer here, have been lurking around the boards for a couple of days since Turbo dropped into my life. He's a bit of a mystery, and I was hoping you could give me opinions on what you think happened to him?

I work as a veterinary technician at a small animal practice. Last Wednesday, a lady brought in a chipmunk in a cardboard box that she said had been acting oddly in her backyard (circling). I've held a couple of squirrels with head trauma in the past, and usually within a few days they resolve and I've been able to release them around where they came from. I figured I could do the same with a chipmunk.

The little guy was pretty dehydrated and was acting strangely (head waving in the air, twitching occasionally). I figured he'd likely either gotten conked on the head pretty badly or he'd gotten into rat poison (specifically the neurotoxin kind). Either way, I was content to wait the situation out to see if he got any worse or better over the course of the afternoon.

He actually got better the first day (less twitching, still head waving), but the second day he was very lethargic. I started offering nutrical and water in a syringe, which he took to with no issue. That was my first clue something was odd with him.

The next day, he'd perked up. No twitching. He was still sleeping constantly (which I attributed to being so dehydrated and starved), and I'd occasionally bonk him with my hand to wake him up and place him near food for him to eat. That was my second clue that something was different about him- he was not fearful of me AT ALL. He was actually more interested in licking my hand anytime it came near him. He'd locate me by scent and then just lick. I started calcium supplementation at that time too- just a powder, mixing it in with the crushed rat pellets that he was eating without issue as long as they were mixed with water and a little nutrical. (clue #3)

So here we are, five days in, and he's up and active and running around. He's totally blind, running into walls, but otherwise doing chipmunk stuff- burrowing, eating, taking water from the water bottle.

Given all of the weirdness with him, 1. The apparent hand-tameness, 2. complete lack of fear of me, and 3. taking rat pellets without issue (which most wild adults refuse), and the fact that he's completely blind and yet somehow alive as an adult... What is the likelihood he's a failed release by someone (probably well-meaning) that didn't realise he was blind when they let him go? He does have some scars on his face and body which look like cat attack marks that have healed, and he's a bit thin, so he was either already blind or he was recovering from the previous attack when he got into a situation that left him blind and circling.

The squirrels I've handled before became actively aggressive as soon as they started feeling any better at all. By the time it was right to let them go, they were lunging at the cages!!! They always react negatively to the smell of humans (as they should). Turbo is completely different. He's content to sleep in the little cage where I have him, and if I pick him up he'll groom me and then himself without a care in the world.

I obviously can't release him because he's blind. Other than calling a rehabber and possibly having him euthanised summarily due to NR status, what else can I do? I feel strongly that if they're 'born wild', they should 'stay wild'. But if he's a failed release that somehow ended up back with people, I am stumped as to what to do.

Thank you so much for reading this rambling mess of a post. I appreciate any and all input you can provide!

Default Re: Blind Chipmunk Care and Mystery

glad you found us.
    As much as we want to release them some are not meant to be as in the case of Turbo.
    He seems to have bonded with you😀 are you willing to keep him, I'm sure he won't be much work not like a squirrel.
    Sounds like you have his diet going well, I'm not sure do chippys eat veggies and some fruit 🤷
    I'm sure others will chime in.
    We don't have chippys in Florida but I just adore them❤️
    I bet he'd make a cute buddy for you😁
    Love the name by the way 😍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Chirps (07-12-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-12-2022)

I have, over the years here, seen a number of instances here on the board just like this with squirrels - a "neuro" squirrel shows up and is totally tame when taken in to be cared for, usually becoming cherished members of the families that found them. I believe that there is likely someplace in the brain that if jostled properly, completely loses the "wild." I call it "getting the wild knocked out of them." It sort of sounds like this has happened to your guy.

Are you able to give him a permanent home? I hope?

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (07-12-2022), Mermer9 (07-12-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-12-2022)

I was secretly hoping that you all would have some kind of secret cure-all for him that I haven't been privy to! Haha.

I can keep him, yes. I certainly didn't anticipate having a chipmunk as a permanent buddy, but I really do not relish the thought of this poor little guy being euthanised. I just need to make sure he has what he needs to be happy. Diet-wise I can manage, it's really just the activity levels now that he's starting to feel better that I worry about.

He's going to need such a large cage!!! The zoomies he gets already are formidable to say the least, haha. I got him a hamster ball, but he panics when in it (I can't blame him, honestly- he probably thinks the ground is moving under his feet since he can't see anything!).

So far he's been coming to and from to work with me because I have cats and don't trust them to be alone in the house with him (even with him in a cage). I guess that I'll need to find out some way to fortify his digs

Do either of you have cats? How has that worked out for you if so?

(Also, thanks for compliments on the name! A coworker named him. I went around asking for good names for small cute things without telling them why, and Turbo was the first decent answer I got! So I can't take credit. )

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to turbomunk:

Chirps (07-12-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-12-2022)

Yes I have known of secured cages where dogs/cats get in and it's heartbreaking.
    I never thought I would be a squirrel mom but when Charley Chuckles came to me he immediately became my SQUIRREL soul mate and I was blessed to have him for 8.5 years I was broken when he passed and I swear he sent me more non releasables 🤣

I use to have a cat who never would hurt my squirrels but I never let her have a chance. Room with closed door when not home 👍
    Congratulations on your new friend😀❤️
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Chirps (07-12-2022)

The "neuro" symptoms sometimes respond to steroids but they should really be given as soon as possible after the injury. But that wouldn't do anything for the eyes.

If I had to keep a chipmunk happy inside, I would hit the PVC pipe and fittings dept at Home Depot. You would want pipe at least twice his size and lots of fittings so you could easily dismantle his "tunnels" to find him when he's hiding in there.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (07-12-2022), Chirps (07-12-2022), Diggie's Friend (07-12-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-12-2022)

Thanks for looking after this little guy. It certainly sounds like he can't be released and it would be a shame to euthanize him since he seems happy with you. I raised 2 female Deer mice with the every intention of releasing them but releasing them in the fall was not ideal and I ended up keeping them both. They were happy little campers and brought a lot of joy to our family and both lived to be over 5 years old. Easiest pets to keep in the world, we cleaned their cages every other week and otherwise just kept them fed, stimulated and happy. They lived in a 40 gallon aquarium:

Their home had a wire wound lid cover, I placed some chairs over it to keep cats out when I had some friends take them when we were out of town.

There are also some fairly large, wire cages that would work well, just make sure the wire grid size is small enough to prevent escape. It would be best if they were in a room were cats were not allowed. But an alternative would be to reinforce the wire top of an aquarium with some wood cross pieces.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Charley Chuckles (07-12-2022), Chirps (07-12-2022), Diggie's Friend (07-12-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-12-2022)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...39#post1314139

Recommend adding one drop from a (1 ml) (1 cc) needle syringe to a moist food every other day.

Turbo is doing fantastic, thanks for all of the recommendations! He's still blind and still having to be prompted to eat (just because he wants to sleep all the time), but otherwise he's doing great. I figured I should share some pictures since you all were kind enough to help us out in our hour of need

Name:  image0.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  31.3 KB

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to turbomunk from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-16-2022)