Thread: Hi thanks for having me.

Default Hi thanks for having me.

I love feeding the squirrels near my home, but I'm seeing a huge problem. Squirrels are getting hit by vehicles A LOT and now I think I need to stop so they don't cross the street to come here. I can't stand the thought of causing their death, in a sense. Even though it's the driver's fault. It breaks my heart because this street has a speed limit of 30 mph going through a residential area and people could easily let them cross the road. But there appear to be a lot of people that do not care at all. Question is can I abruptly stop without doing even more harm? I'd really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks

Default Re: Hi thanks for having me.

Healthy, wild squirrels love the treats we give them but they are not needed, they really are just treats. So stopping feeding them should not be a problem. I hate seeing animals get hit by cars, it is such a needless, useless way to die. So if they are really crossing the road because of your treats then it may be a good idea to stop feeding them. However, squirrels often cross roads anyway so its hard to say that your treats are really causing this? If you stop feeding them and they stop coming by your place but they still get hit in the road then its not really your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnm View Post
    I love feeding the squirrels near my home, but I'm seeing a huge problem. Squirrels are getting hit by vehicles A LOT and now I think I need to stop so they don't cross the street to come here. I can't stand the thought of causing their death, in a sense. Even though it's the driver's fault. It breaks my heart because this street has a speed limit of 30 mph going through a residential area and people could easily let them cross the road. But there appear to be a lot of people that do not care at all. Question is can I abruptly stop without doing even more harm? I'd really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Default Re: Hi thanks for having me.

Thank you so much. I think some are coming for the walnuts I put out. I'm going to stop then. I hate them getting hit by cars too. They teach new drivers these days to hit animals instead of stopping which with the state of wildlife is just insane and it sickens me because besides that there are people who want to run them over. I can't imagine hurting an animal on purpose.