Thread: Teeth question

Hybrid View

Default Teeth question

Good morning everyone!
    I have searched this question and have not found an answer that was already posted. My squirrel is about 3 yrs old. I have recently noticed horizontal ridges on his lower incisors. He eats well and is playing. No lethargy noticed just the new ridges. Is this indicative of an issue? Should I be worried? He's still chewing on stuff and the only behavioral changes I have noticed so far is increased rubbing of mouth on things.
    Please help I very concerned. Thank you everyone

Default Re: Teeth question

Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    Good morning everyone!
    I have searched this question and have not found an answer that was already posted. My squirrel is about 3 yrs old. I have recently noticed horizontal ridges on his lower incisors. He eats well and is playing. No lethargy noticed just the new ridges. Is this indicative of an issue? Should I be worried? He's still chewing on stuff and the only behavioral changes I have noticed so far is increased rubbing of mouth on things.
    Please help I very concerned. Thank you everyone
    If you can post a picture it can be helpful to see what you are describing...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

island rehabber (07-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If you can post a picture it can be helpful to see what you are describing...
    Name:  20220705_141823.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  75.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    Name:  20220705_141823.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  75.9 KB
    It appears his bottom incisors are going behind his upper incisors.
    I suspect when he chews his uppers are scraping across the bottoms causing the indents.
    IMO, He needs to have his bottom incisors trimmed back so they can meet square on with
    the top incisors when he chews.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Kalee (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    It appears his bottom incisors are going behind his upper incisors.
    I suspect when he chews his uppers are scraping across the bottoms causing the indents.
    IMO, He needs to have his bottom incisors trimmed back so they can meet square on with
    the top incisors when he chews.
    Thanks so much for the help. He is my 1st so I'm still learning. I have heard of their teeth getting too long and I check them often but am unsure what I'm looking for. He eats well and is always provided with wood or nut shells to chew on.
    I'm sure a lot of people here have been following thumbelinas story with odontomas. Yesterday Christina posted her tooth and explained that the ridges can be an indication of her condition. I searched Google and here and could not confirm so naturally I was scared to death.
    Thanks so much

I’ve checked in on Thumbelina’s story on IG a few times- She is a precious girl! I’ve wondered if any of the “famous” squirrels I follow there have humans on TSB, or if any TSBers keep up with the squirrel influencers (haha) over there?!

Do you have a thread for you little guy? I’d love to follow along with his story!