Thread: Prerelease with large (??) on side

Default Prerelease with large (??) on side

This is Dogwood, Cedarís release buddy. She came May 10. She was extremely skittish and terrified at first. She was raised in a tiny cage by her finder . When she would come out for a sighting, I noticed a small, hair covered lump on her side. No sign of trauma or punctures. She never acted like it bothered her and as days passed she began to act like a normal squirrel ; eating and playing with Cedar.

Fast forward, they are now ready to be released. They are in the indoor/outdoor enclosure next to the woods. And, this thing has gotten huge. She still acts like itís not even there. Leaps, wrestles and jumps and eating fine.

We had an extremely hot and humid spring . Could this be a warble?? I hesitate to release her /them, but hate not to. But if itís best to hold them till this thing resolves I will.

Just saying, I cannot get my hands on her unless I trap her in their nest. Moving her here so traumatized her ; Iím afraid taking her to the office and gassing down etc could give her a heart attack. It also will be a challenge to medicate her, but I havenít as of yet and she seems fine.

What do others here recommend?

Here are some pics; sorry not so clear . Sheís fast as lightning:

Name:  9AEE8A14-432D-43AB-BAC7-D32CE524A453.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  373.1 KB
    Name:  87461BFD-4660-4015-864C-4E3649355936.jpg
Size:  377.0 KB
    Name:  C228DBC0-091B-4FBB-AB30-36EE84877CEE.jpg
Size:  397.9 KB
    Name:  B36C7C2A-5573-4DD7-A603-FE39A3B94A00.jpg
Size:  399.2 KB
    This one is blurry but shows she is not least bit bothered by this thing.

If I need to hold them I will. But they are ready anytime,

Default Re: Prerelease with large (??) on side

We get many bot flys on our wilds none look large like that and there is always a hole where they enter 🤷
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Snicker Bar (07-11-2022)

That is no bot fly, much too large. Some type of abscess? If so, you should see hair loss really, really soon. I have never seen anything like that, her hair looks great. Big lipoma?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (07-10-2022)

I canít figure,
    It has grown since she came 2 months ago.

I guess I could try(???) to gather her up in her cube they still sleep in, and try to feel it without getting chainsawed,

But she panics so easily.

Do baby squirrels get lipomas?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I canít figure,
    It has grown since she came 2 months ago.

I guess I could try(???) to gather her up in her cube they still sleep in, and try to feel it without getting chainsawed,

But she panics so easily.

Do baby squirrels get lipomas?
    Hi SB: I do not know first hand that Squirrels get lipomas but I know that Rats do and at least for that reason, I would guess other rodents would develop them as well. While the mass present on your little Squirrel may be a lipoma, I strongly doubt this! For one thing, lipomas do not usually grow anywhere near as fast as this mass has developed and this would be a fairly large lipoma, even on a human being! This mass may be a seroma or an abscess from an unrecognized injury. It would be good if this mass could at least be palpated and a quick ultrasound could potentially tell much more and would certainly limit the differential if it did not actually clinch a diagnosis. You could reserve "gassing her down" pending an ultrasound. If this is a solid mass and not cystic as an abscess and seroma would tend to be, it would be worrisome for malignancy but in reality, it would be very unusual for even a malignant mass to become so large over only 2 months. The doubling time of such a tumor would be unbelievably quick! I suspect an abscess, seroma or some other cystic mass. If this mass is solid, I would strongly recommend a biopsy.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (07-10-2022), Snicker Bar (07-10-2022), Spanky (07-10-2022)

So I got up early he nerve just now went out and gently took down their cube. I was able to hold her , in the cubs and examine the thing through the opening. Itís soft, like fluid, and thereís something floating within the fluid. Itís not hard like a pellet? But about the size and shape of a small jelly bean. I tried to hold the ďthingĒ between my thumb and finger to see if it moves?? But I couldnít feel any movement.

I didnít have a helper with me, so next attempt I might try to apply some topical lidocaine and draw off whatever the fluid is,

Could this maybe be some other sort of larva? I donít think she would tolerate a lancing large enough to pop the thing out?? I was actually shocked at how well she behaved , letting me feel her like that!

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Charley Chuckles (07-11-2022), Chirps (07-10-2022), TubeDriver (07-10-2022)

Idk more Iím thinking, maybe I could topical numb it, then use some injectable lidocaine.. and then maybe a #11 blade Ö and gently try to pop the thing out??

The fact itís gotten larger since her intake makes me wonder now if thereís some sort of larva/thing in there Ö And thereís absolutely no scabs or holes on the surface of her skin. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Idk more Iím thinking, maybe I could topical numb it, then use some injectable lidocaine.. and then maybe a #11 blade Ö and gently try to pop the thing out??

The fact itís gotten larger since her intake makes me wonder now if thereís some sort of larva/thing in there Ö And thereís absolutely no scabs or holes on the surface of her skin. Strange
    Hi SB. I'm sending a PM. I did not want to post any particulars about surgery on the "open" Board.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (07-10-2022), Snicker Bar (07-10-2022)