Thread: Two female grey adult squirrels

Hybrid View

Default Two female grey adult squirrels

They both have red swollen eyes, very lethargic no appetite look like they are dying. I have amoxicillin 400mg/5ml suspension, azithromycin 250mg 1 tab, polymyxin B sulfate and trimethoprim 10ml

Default Re: Two female grey adult squirrels

More information is needed IMO.

What is the backstory / history... antibiotics may or *may not* help. Are these NRs? Wild squirrels?

This could be an infection, a result of eating something they should not have (house plants, spoiled food, etc.), having been bitten (or stung) by an insect...

We'll also need to know how much they weigh to dose any medications... as well as the concentration of the trimethoprim (e.g. 40mg/5ml).

They are six years old litter mates, had them since two weeks old. They live in a big aviary against my house. Once they were weaned I contacted a rehabber for assistance in how to release they said they were to imprinted to release. They both got out several years ago due to the door being accidentally left open. They were over night but back the next morning. I feed them Henry’s healthy blocks but not exclusively. Walnuts, pecans, peanuts, avocado, kale, tomatoes.

They have no bite marks anywhere.

I don’t know how much they weigh and they are not currently on any medications nor have they been

I took them to the vet Saturday and they looked at them through the cage, but said they couldn’t do anything because they were not able to be handled. $135 per squirrel for that exam

Picture of eye
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by momest95 View Post
    They both have red swollen eyes, very lethargic no appetite look like they are dying. I have amoxicillin 400mg/5ml suspension, azithromycin 250mg 1 tab, polymyxin B sulfate and trimethoprim 10ml
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused here. In later posts you said only one squirrel has the eye issue, and just one eye. So did Baby have swollen eyes that resolved on their own or is it just Chip?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/