Thread: 10 month NR girl suddenly attacking me

Default 10 month NR girl suddenly attacking me

Hi all! As the title suggests, I’ve got a 10 month old NR (cannot use left arm) little girl who has suddenly started to attack. She was snuggly and sweet in the morning and late afternoon, and then in the early evening, she launched at my face and stuck there as she bit my cheek and clawed my nose and ear. I had to pry her off me and then she tried to come back for more as I’m dripping blood all over the floor. I went back later, thinking she’d calm down, and she attacked me again, though this time I was ready so she never made it to my face. I’ve managed to get her into her cage, but she lunges at me through the bars and stomps her feet and alerts. This has been going on for over 24 hours now.

My question is not what’s causing this. I’m quite certain that it’s hormonal, and I’m not looking for a reason for the behavior. I have other female NRs who get ornery when in estrus, but never violent. What I’m looking for are suggestions of how to deal with the violent and super aggressive behavior, how long it typically lasts, and will I ever be able to trust her again? This is my first time dealing with such aggressive behavior and I’m not sure what the right playbook is to manage it. She’s NR, so releasing her isn’t an option.

Her diet is not the problem. I am very conscious of ratios and ensure that all my babies eat a proper diet.

Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: 10 month NR girl suddenly attacking me

You likely are already aware of this but changes in smells can often bring on this sudden aggression. New shampoos, new colognes, laundry detergent, hand soaps.. basically anything that might leave a scent on you that you bring to her... and she does not like! And also incense, fresheners... anything like that. Even a recently clean carpet.

It is also mating season.. though around here (I am n the same general area as you) it is late in the season.. but the season none the less.

Spending time with her may help over time... you can leave her in her cage for both her and your safety, but spend time in proximity to her. Whether it is talking with her (which could just anger / frustrate her right now) or simply watching TV, reading a book, doing whatever chores, etc. Of course, if there is anything that may have changed with scents and such (my first paragraph) that should be corrected / reversed before spending time around her.

Default Re: 10 month NR girl suddenly attacking me

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You likely are already aware of this but changes in smells can often bring on this sudden aggression. New shampoos, new colognes, laundry detergent, hand soaps.. basically anything that might leave a scent on you that you bring to her... and she does not like! And also incense, fresheners... anything like that. Even a recently clean carpet.

It is also mating season.. though around here (I am n the same general area as you) it is late in the season.. but the season none the less.

Spending time with her may help over time... you can leave her in her cage for both her and your safety, but spend time in proximity to her. Whether it is talking with her (which could just anger / frustrate her right now) or simply watching TV, reading a book, doing whatever chores, etc. Of course, if there is anything that may have changed with scents and such (my first paragraph) that should be corrected / reversed before spending time around her.

Yes, one member wrote that although they had no new products, they had cleaned something in the house with bleach and just the lingering scent on them caused the squirrel to be Very irate. Oh, the smell of garlic can make some angry too.

The sudden violence isn't abnormal. My rescue, although male, did the same. People just suit up and construct head gear to protect themselves (layers, hoodies, helmets, plastic face shields, fencing helmets etc). This extreme doesn't usually last, but they are all so different it's hard to say. I'd just play it by ear and do Spanky' suggestions while reminding yourself not to take it personally, it's pure instincts and hormones at the steering wheel. They also tend to feed off and reflect our emotions so being proactive in anticipating the aggression helps so you can remain safe and calm despite what's happening.