Thread: New puppy brought hookworm into the home, all 3 dogs infected

Default New puppy brought hookworm into the home, all 3 dogs infected

To keep it short I adopted a puppy who came home with coccidia 4 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago his poo tested negative for any ailments. Fast forward to yesterday, booster shots and another poo test just to be safe... hookworms.

No idea where or how he got them. The other dogs are being treated for it as well without being tested.

But then there's Sterling. She's been kept in her cage a lot more than usual since puppy came home (safety, teething) but puppy is very interested in Sterling and they play through the cage bars quite a lot. It's mostly her touching his face.

The vet gave me powdered febendazole (panacure) to put in the dogs' food for 3 days and retest poo in 3/4 weeks. Despite the vet personally having unofficial discussion about Sterling (it's actually been me giving the advice, he contacts me now when folks bring in a squirrel) -- the receptionist is sorta med-blocking me, I don't wanna intrude on the Vet's personal cell, the other vet on staff is new and doesn't know anything and there's no relationship or history or trust there...

I don't know if Sterling has Hookworms or not. I'm not sure how to treat her for them anyway as a just in case, same as the other two dogs are being treated. Can i skim an itty bit of the powdered medicine from the dogs' portion and give to Sterling? That would be easiest. I would need help with dosage. And if not this medication… Then what?

She's 1.5 lbs. i have 3 bags of the panacure, two 12 gram bags and one 21g bag.

Default Re: New puppy brought hookworm into the home, all 3 dogs infected

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfBadgers View Post
    To keep it short I adopted a puppy who came home with coccidia 4 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago his poo tested negative for any ailments. Fast forward to yesterday, booster shots and another poo test just to be safe... hookworms.

No idea where or how he got them. The other dogs are being treated for it as well without being tested.

But then there's Sterling. She's been kept in her cage a lot more than usual since puppy came home (safety, teething) but puppy is very interested in Sterling and they play through the cage bars quite a lot. It's mostly her touching his face.

The vet gave me powdered febendazole (panacure) to put in the dogs' food for 3 days and retest poo in 3/4 weeks. Despite the vet personally having unofficial discussion about Sterling (it's actually been me giving the advice, he contacts me now when folks bring in a squirrel) -- the receptionist is sorta med-blocking me, I don't wanna intrude on the Vet's personal cell, the other vet on staff is new and doesn't know anything and there's no relationship or history or trust there...

I don't know if Sterling has Hookworms or not. I'm not sure how to treat her for them anyway as a just in case, same as the other two dogs are being treated. Can i skim an itty bit of the powdered medicine from the dogs' portion and give to Sterling? That would be easiest. I would need help with dosage. And if not this medication… Then what?

She's 1.5 lbs. i have 3 bags of the panacure, two 12 gram bags and one 21g bag.
    I'm assuming the 3 bags are 1 specific for each dog to be used up over a 3 day period and most likely according to the individual dogs body weight.
    Do you know the milligrams of the panacur? - Is there a specific divided measure (3X) per bag for individual dog to be given each day.
    Certainly the strength/ milligrams of the Panacur used for your dogs is going to be way off the chart for what should be used for a squirrel.
    With the dog's weight in pounds to a squirrel's weight in grams, without the information, math and ability to break it all down for a squirrels use,
    even scraping an "itty bit" can be risky for the squirrel IMO.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 06-30-2022 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spl
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-30-2022)

Default Re: New puppy brought hookworm into the home, all 3 dogs infected

Just my 2 cents, I believe Revolution "for cats not dogs" put 1 drop on a half of pecan when digested it will kill worms. I'm not sure about hook worms though.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this