Thread: Swollen cheek, abscess? Ft W. TX area

Default Swollen cheek, abscess? Ft W. TX area

I have called so many vets and none will see my sweet Teddy without a licensed rehabber. I’m in the Fort Worth Texas area. I’d rather they take my baby than let him die but I don’t want to lose my baby. He’s 6, almost 7. Can someone please help us?Name:  6B3DD59A-2610-4444-B894-E21FE303F817.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  99.8 KBName:  6B3DD59A-2610-4444-B894-E21FE303F817.jpg
Size:  99.8 KB

Default Re: Swollen cheek, abscess? Ft W. TX area

Quote Originally Posted by MissAmy View Post
    I have called so many vets and none will see my sweet Teddy without a licensed rehabber. I’m in the Fort Worth Texas area. I’d rather they take my baby than let him die but I don’t want to lose my baby. He’s 6, almost 7. Can someone please help us?Name:  6B3DD59A-2610-4444-B894-E21FE303F817.jpg
    Location of abscess and age of squirrel suggests it's possibly teeth related.
    Hopefully some of our TX members will see this and be able to assist you in getting help for your boy.
    In the meantime, try and locate some antibiotics for human or animal. You would only need a pill or two.
    Let us know what you can acquire, we can tell you if it can be used how to dilute and dose.
    All medications administered to squirrels are dosed by body weight, we will need a weight on your squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I found a vet in Dallas, they’re sedating him, taking an X-ray and seeing what needs to happen from there. Thank you for your help. I spent the majority of my day on the phone trying to find a vet. I have an assortment of antibiotics I just really thought he needed a vet. He’s 600g

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MissAmy from:

stepnstone (06-23-2022)

Update! Teddy had several teeth that were very loose, the vet removed them. The vet used a needle to remove all of the pus from the abscess. She’s giving him pain meds and antibiotics. She told me that a large number of pet squirrels have dental disease as they get older despite being on a great diet. This group has been so helpful for my little Teddy, thank y’all.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MissAmy:

Chirps (06-23-2022), CritterMom (06-23-2022), Diggie's Friend (06-23-2022), stepnstone (06-23-2022)

Thank God for good vets that put their oath of helping small pets, be they native wild born NR squirrels,

or one of a number of exotics (guinea pegs, parrots, chinchillas) being long since accepted as domesticated pets,

to provide the vet care that they need.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (06-23-2022), MissAmy (06-24-2022)

I'm just seeing this now but I'm so happy you quickly found a vet who sounds very reliable👍
    Prayers for quick recovery Teddy 🙏🧸🐿️
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Update! Teddy had several teeth that were very loose, the vet removed them. The vet used a needle to remove all of the pus from the abscess.
    She’s giving him pain meds and antibiotics. She told me that a large number of pet squirrels have dental disease as they get older despite being on a great diet. This group has been so helpful for my little Teddy, thank y’all.
    Unfortunately this has been true in many cases, I always suspect a tooth issue when there is an abscess in the vicinity of the jaw.
    Thank you for being persistent in your research with locating a vet close enough to your area. I hope Teddy is feeling much better soon.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Size:  99.8 KBName:  6B3DD59A-2610-4444-B894-E21FE303F817.jpg
    Hi MissAmy & Teddy:
    Please try Texas Avian and Exotic Hospital in Grapevine. Here is a link: https://texasavian.com/contact-us/
    At my last inquiry which was approximately 3 weeks ago, they confirmed to me that they will see Squirrels and specifically "pet" Squirrels without requiring the human client be a rehabber. Please confirm this when you call them and please ask specifically if they will confiscate your Squirrel; just so you will have this issue out in the open and hopefully put to rest before you take Teddy. Also, of great concern was that when I contacted them, they had a 2 week wait time for an appointment which is very disappointing and potentially risky. It may be that you can "plead Teddy's case" to them and they will see him expeditiously. Maybe even offer a premium payment. I would try whatever may work to get Teddy seen ASAP.

NOTE: do NOT take Teddy to the associated Emergency Veterinary Clinic that the Texas Avian & Exotic Hospital mentions in their after hours phone message or may refer you to if their appointment schedule is full! There is also mention of this Emergency facility on the TA&EH website! That Animal Emergency Facility told me specifically that they will confiscate Squirrels except possibly if you were were a licensed Texas rehabber. I hope that the Texas Avian & Exotic Hospital will work out for Teddy and you!

Also, you mentioned that "I’d rather they take my baby than let him die" and I would too for a Squirrel in my care except that if "they" do take Teddy, he will most likely be euthanized or hard released in which case he suffer the the cruel end nature often has has in store for those not adequately prepared for the wild! My suggestion is to NOT let anyone take your baby with the possible exception being someone who has an established reputation on the Squirrel Board and who also has the support of one of the Admins or other trusted members based upon direct experience!

Please let us know how thing went and how thing are going with Little Teddy
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

I missed the rest of the thread after SNS's post. Sorry. I'm glad that Teddy got seen and is apparently on the mend!
    SamtheSquirrel

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I missed the rest of the thread after SNS's post. Sorry. I'm glad that Teddy got seen and is apparently on the mend!
    SamtheSquirrel
    Had to thank you anyway because all the info you posted is so true and could help someone down the line.

Cheers!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

MissAmy (06-24-2022)

Hi MissAmy & Teddy:
    Please try Texas Avian and Exotic Hospital in Grapevine. Here is a link: https://texasavian.com/contact-us/
    At my last inquiry which was approximately 3 weeks ago, they confirmed to me that they will see Squirrels and specifically "pet" Squirrels without requiring the human client be a rehabber. Please confirm this when you call them and please ask specifically if they will confiscate your Squirrel; just so you will have this issue out in the open and hopefully put to rest before you take Teddy. Also, of great concern was that when I contacted them, they had a 2 week wait time for an appointment which is very disappointing and potentially risky. It may be that you can "plead Teddy's case" to them and they will see him expeditiously. Maybe even offer a premium payment. I would try whatever may work to get Teddy seen ASAP.

NOTE: do NOT take Teddy to the associated Emergency Veterinary Clinic that the Texas Avian & Exotic Hospital mentions in their after hours phone message or may refer you to if their appointment schedule is full! There is also mention of this Emergency facility on the TA&EH website! That Animal Emergency Facility told me specifically that they will confiscate Squirrels except possibly if you were were a licensed Texas rehabber. I hope that the Texas Avian & Exotic Hospital will work out for Teddy and you!

Also, you mentioned that "I’d rather they take my baby than let him die" and I would too for a Squirrel in my care except that if "they" do take Teddy, he will most likely be euthanized or hard released in which case he suffer the the cruel end nature often has has in store for those not adequately prepared for the wild! My suggestion is to NOT let anyone take your baby with the possible exception being someone who has an established reputation on the Squirrel Board and who also has the support of one of the Admins or other trusted members based upon direct experience!

Please let us know how thing went and how thing are going with Little Teddy
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I was referred to Texas Avian and exotic hospital but they were booked out two weeks still and I didn’t think it was prudent to wait that long. I made sure Teddy wouldn’t be confiscated before going to Summertree in Dallas. It was only about an hour drive from my house, I was so grateful. I was willing to drive out of state to get him care. I’m so grateful for the team at the vets office. The vet said, “ I’m not the police, the only thing I’m obligated to say or do is to tell you that you’re supposed to have a permit. Now let’s get Teddy taken care of for you.” They had me put him in the clear box so they could sedate him and get a look at him. She said they usually see a deterioration of the jaw with dental disease but his jaw was in perfect condition from the X-rays. She pulled the teeth on his lower left side of the jaw, she said they came out so easily with just foresepts because they were very loose. They called this morning to see how he was doing and he’s doing great. Eating his liquid diet/food like a champ and wanting more. The swelling has diminished significantly. She did use a needle to pull out about 3ccs of puss from the abscess. He’s on pain meds and antibiotics. Thank you for all the information.

Name:  B824C17E-97AB-4A9D-AF21-37158E0FA847.jpg
Size:  102.6 KB Teddy’s little teeth. It wouldn’t let me upload the video of him eating from his syringe. He was on formula till he was 2 years old. He still ate his regular food and HHB but he wanted his syringe of formula still. I think that has helped with him being so good about taking his meds and food from a syringe today.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MissAmy:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-24-2022), The Nut Lady (06-24-2022)

I was referred to Texas Avian and exotic hospital but they were booked out two weeks still and I didn’t think it was prudent to wait that long. I made sure Teddy wouldn’t be confiscated before going to Summertree in Dallas. It was only about an hour drive from my house, I was so grateful. I was willing to drive out of state to get him care. I’m so grateful for the team at the vets office. The vet said, “ I’m not the police, the only thing I’m obligated to say or do is to tell you that you’re supposed to have a permit. Now let’s get Teddy taken care of for you.” They had me put him in the clear box so they could sedate him and get a look at him. She said they usually see a deterioration of the jaw with dental disease but his jaw was in perfect condition from the X-rays. She pulled the teeth on his lower left side of the jaw, she said they came out so easily with just foresepts because they were very loose. They called this morning to see how he was doing and he’s doing great. Eating his liquid diet/food like a champ and wanting more. The swelling has diminished significantly. She did use a needle to pull out about 3ccs of puss from the abscess. He’s on pain meds and antibiotics. Thank you for all the information.
    Wonderful news!! Thanks MissAmy! Glad you are doing better Little Teddy! The best to you both! It's great to know of this Vet at Summertree!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

MissAmy (06-26-2022)

Wonderful news!! Thanks MissAmy! Glad you are doing better Little Teddy! The best to you both! It's great to know of this Vet at Summertree!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Wonderful news, indeed!!! So glad Teddy got the help he needed. Thank you for making that happen and for all the support on TSB. Please post how his recovery goes.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to The Nut Lady from:

MissAmy (06-26-2022)

The vet said, “ I’m not the police, the only thing I’m obligated to say or do is to tell you that you’re supposed to have a permit.
    Now let’s get Teddy taken care of for you.”
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

MissAmy (06-26-2022)