Thread: Moxidectin vs. Ivermectin

Default Moxidectin vs. Ivermectin

Hello,

my squirrels, who all live in the same nest, seem extra itchy as of late. i did some reading about ivermectin , but on one thread here it says moxidectin is more effective. i drove all the way to fleet farm but had a mini panic attack on which one to buy, because i cant find much info on moxidectin, whereas ivermectin has been widely mentioned for use in squirrels.

can anyone advise? i would prefer to only have to do one dose (moxidectin) but i do not want to harm them in any way.

Default Re: Moxidectin vs. Ivermectin

Quote Originally Posted by madeesawn View Post
    Hello,
    my squirrels, who all live in the same nest, seem extra itchy as of late. i did some reading about ivermectin , but on one thread here it says moxidectin is more effective. i drove all the way to fleet farm but had a mini panic attack on which one to buy, because i cant find much info on moxidectin, whereas ivermectin has been widely mentioned for use in squirrels.
    can anyone advise? i would prefer to only have to do one dose (moxidectin) but i do not want to harm them in any way.
    I"ve not heard of the use of Moxidectin for squirrels, it is an anthelmintic drug used in animals to prevent or control parasitic worms such as heartworm and intestinal worms.
    For what you are wanting to treat, go with the Ivermectin.
    Revolution is choice but not always obtainable due to it being Rx, it can be purchased from "Joe's pet meds" without script.
    We have many members that have used Ivermectin for treating their squirrels, if your unaware of how it should be prepared and dosed please ask.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

i just spent an hour or so reading about the widespread use of moxidectin in rats and other rodents for fur mites. would that change your opinion at all? the only reason i ask is because i bought the moxidectin and i dont have a car to go back to fleet farm with, . but if you think not, i will definitely not give it to them

Quote Originally Posted by madeesawn View Post
    i just spent an hour or so reading about the widespread use of moxidectin in rats and other rodents for fur mites. would that change your opinion at all?
    the only reason i ask is because i bought the moxidectin and i dont have a car to go back to fleet farm with, . but if you think not, i will definitely not give it to them
    As I stated, I have not heard of it's use, neither do I personally know a wildlife veterinarian that has prescribed it's use.
    While squirrels and rats are both classed as rodents they are completely different animal species. There are many products
    that will claim to be safe for all rodent species and they are not.
    I personally will only operate under what has been established and proven safe for squirrels. I don't risk trials.
    Moxidectin may be a good treatment, it may be a safe treatment, but without confirmed validation for use with squirrels, I pass.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

TubeDriver (06-23-2022)

I'll echo what Step said above. The longer half life of moxidectin (almost a month) vs ivermectin (a week or 2 weeks with two doses) could potentially be an issue. Ivermectin has a long track record of safe use with squirrels and is effective.

At the very least, do not treat a big group of your wilds all at once with moxidectin. Select one wild that has some clearly identifiable trait (scar or clearly notched ear etc) and wait to see if he does ok after a couple weeks. If so, then you can feel more confident about treating the rest. And please let us know if you do this, that will help everyone here in the future. But Ivermectin is so easy to get, inexpensive, easy to dose (flavored so squirrels readily take it on a nut treat) and effective.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (06-23-2022)