Thread: Rehoming/rehabbing adult squirrels

Default Rehoming/rehabbing adult squirrels

Hi! Forgive me, as this is my first post after years of lurking. This community has been incredibly amazing and helpful over my years of raising squirrels, and I cannot thank you all enough.

First of all, this is absolutely heartbreaking for me to post… I view all of my animals as a lifelong commitment/family member. However, I received notification that I recently obtained my absolute dream job. It is an incredible opportunity that not many people get (nor did I expect myself to lol) and comes with a HUGE salary bump, so I can’t really say no. Only downside is, I will have to relocate and my babies can’t come. I will be out of state, in a location they are not legal to keep. As such, I have come to the devastating realization I will have to rehome, release, or get my babies to a rehab that is able to assist.

I feel like this is a shot in the dark, but from everything I’ve seen this community is incredible and figured I could get some advice if all else fails.

Some details on the squirrels/location:
    - I am in (Central) Florida. However, I would take them just about anywhere if I knew they were going to a good home.
    - I have five Eastern Gray squirrels. 2 are siblings and housed together, 3 are separate and on their own. I would like to keep the siblings together, but other than that they can be split up.
    - Ages: the two siblings will be 7 years old this fall. Girl and boy. The rest will be the following ages around August: 6, 4, and 2 (all girls, poor lad is severely outnumbered lol).
    - Diet: all currently eat Henry’s Healthy Blocks. Combined with a diet of fresh veggies (spring mix, broccoli, etc), small amounts of fruit and limited nuts for treats.
    - Cages: they all have plenty of out-of-cage time, but are in cages when unsupervised and if you need, the cages can come with them as well.
    - Temperament: my boy is incredibly friendly, open to just about anyone. His sisters, not so much… they have never really taken to anyone beyond me.

I would try to transition them to release myself, but worry about it due to their ages. Plus, even if it was a possibility, it is far too hot outside to begin that process. The new job will start late summer/early fall, so it isn’t feasible for me to wait and start this as well. I have tried some local rehabbers that have said they assist with adult squirrels, but all have fallen through for some reason or another and I’m very concerned for their future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Rehoming/rehabbing adult squirrels

Is taking them with you completely out of the question? I know the housing market has been crazy, but if you can look now maybe you can find a house that meets your needs? You'd have to smuggle them across state lines etc. when you move and you'd be on your own for vet care, but it seems plenty of people here are in that boat. Is it absolutely too far to transport them? Just thinking out loud.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

McCarthy (06-20-2022)

If everything else fails:

Do you or family members / friends have a decent backyard with no major predators? I'd keep them in one room and increase the temperature to 90 F over the course of 6 to 8 weeks, in that room only, by limiting the airflow from the AC increasingly and opening a window slightly.

Once they have adjusted to summer temperature and some humidity, I'd add 3 by 3" portals to each cage, relocate the cages to the outside, let them get used to the environment for 3 weeks inside the cages, while limiting contact to feeding once a day only, then open the portal, put some nest boxes higher up in trees close by and keep feeding them for several weeks while staying away.

While I'm in Florida and would love to help, I just took care of an injured wild grey and released him last week. That was quite challenging. At some point I will get a large piece of land, between 5 and 10 acres, build a new home / shop and huge outdoor cages, then and will have all the resources need. But in my current home there is limit space, and my HOA won't play along with bigger cages being visible to neighbors. I do have a closed-in patio, but it gets over 100 F in there due to limited airflow.

There are many squirrel owners in states that don't allow this. Maybe you can "park" them for a month somewhere, rent or buy a place in your new state, and bring and hide them later on?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Clas (06-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Clas View Post
    - I have five Eastern Gray squirrels. 2 are siblings and housed together, 3 are separate and on their own. I would like to keep the siblings together, but other than that they can be split up.
    - Ages: the two siblings will be 7 years old this fall. Girl and boy. The rest will be the following ages around August: 6, 4, and 2 (all girls, poor lad is severely outnumbered lol).

I would try to transition them to release myself, but worry about it due to their ages.
    I personally could not imagine attempting to release any of them but the 2 year old... do they have any sort to impairments that prevented them from being released as juveniles?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Is taking them with you completely out of the question? I know the housing market has been crazy, but if you can look now maybe you can find a house that meets your needs? You'd have to smuggle them across state lines etc. when you move and you'd be on your own for vet care, but it seems plenty of people here are in that boat. Is it absolutely too far to transport them? Just thinking out loud.
    Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it’s really not. I’ve considered it, but the problem is it’s not one but two relocations and I will not know the second spot until I get started. The first move is housing provided by the employer, for a period of several months. So I can’t really research/plan accordingly or take them with me for the first move. There’s also a good possibility the second move will be overseas, where smuggling them will obviously not be feasible. I’ve even considered/tried arranging a babysitter for the duration of the first move, but without getting into all the details, that unfortunately isn’t an option either. It’s a tough spot.

1) I "smuggle" squirrels to Dr E (FL) whenever they need surgery / invasive procedures that my local vets will not provide.

2) If you share the general area of your relocation, you may be pleasantly surprised that a member of TSB can refer you to squirrel safe vet care.

Edit: Saw the new info after I posted:
    There’s also a good possibility the second move will be overseas, where smuggling them will obviously not be feasible.
    Yeah, the overseas thing is a huge problem...

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Clas (06-20-2022), Diggie's Friend (06-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I personally could not imagine attempting to release any of them but the 2 year old... do they have any sort to impairments that prevented them from being released as juveniles?
    As far as release, that was exactly my thought. They do not.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it’s really not. I’ve considered it, but the problem is it’s not one but two relocations and I will not know the second spot until I get started. The first move is housing provided by the employer, for a period of several months. So I can’t really research/plan accordingly or take them with me for the first move. There’s also a good possibility the second move will be overseas, where smuggling them will obviously not be feasible. I’ve even considered/tried arranging a babysitter for the duration of the first move, but without getting into all the details, that unfortunately isn’t an option either. It’s a tough spot.
    Oh. WOW. This is a MAJOR life change for you! And your furry kids! Not to get too nosy, but wondering if you could put it out there what state or part of the country you're relocating to. Maybe someone on here is near that area and could help you.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    If everything else fails:

Do you or family members / friends have a decent backyard with no major predators? I'd keep them in one room and increase the temperature to 90 F over the course of 6 to 8 weeks, in that room only, by limiting the airflow from the AC increasingly and opening a window slightly.

Once they have adjusted to summer temperature and some humidity, I'd add 3 by 3" portals to each cage, relocate the cages to the outside, let them get used to the environment for 3 weeks inside the cages, while limiting contact to feeding once a day only, then open the portal, put some nest boxes higher up in trees close by and keep feeding them for several weeks while staying away.

While I'm in Florida and would love to help, I just took care of an injured wild grey and released him last week. That was quite challenging. At some point I will get a large piece of land, between 5 and 10 acres, build a new home / shop and huge outdoor cages, then and will have all the resources need. But in my current home there is limit space, and my HOA won't play along with bigger cages being visible to neighbors. I do have a closed-in patio, but it gets over 100 F in there due to limited airflow.

There are many squirrel owners in states that don't allow this. Maybe you can "park" them for a month somewhere, rent or buy a place in your new state, and bring and hide them later on?
    Thank you for this info! My neighborhood, along with any of my friends/family’s around here, would not be ideal for release. Very residential areas with limited trees/nature and a good amount of traffic. I could definitely acclimate them, but would have to find somewhere better suited to actually release them, if I went that route.

Loving your land idea though, that sounds awesome!

Oh. WOW. This is a MAJOR life change for you! And your furry kids! Not to get too nosy, but wondering if you could put it out there what state or part of the country you're relocating to. Maybe someone on here is near that area and could help you.
    It is HUGE. If it weren’t my dream job/such a great opportunity, I would not be going forward with such big changes. As far as the moves: I only know the location of the first move, which will be fairly temporary for me - a period of several months. The second move I will not even have an idea until the end of my time at the first location. In between moves, I will be returning to Florida for a period of a couple weeks to move the rest of my house/belongings. So if a “babysitter” was an option, it’d probably be easier for them to be located in Florida as well. My hesitation with that is finding out that the second move will be somewhere I’m unable to smuggle them, then having less time to make arrangements than I do now.

Thank you for this info! My neighborhood, along with any of my friends/family’s around here, would not be ideal for release. Very residential areas with limited trees/nature and a good amount of traffic. I could definitely acclimate them, but would have to find somewhere better suited to actually release them, if I went that route.

Loving your land idea though, that sounds awesome!

Since most are older, a release should be in a quiet and rural setting where they can stay around as long as they please, and get at least some kind of food provided on a daily basis until they decide to move on. That may take weeks, months or never be the case. So you will need somebody who enjoys feeding squirrels in the first place and may be willing to keep the cages in places if they continue to stay over night.

I'd not limit this search to Florida. Georgia and the Carolinas are also good places.

There are a ton of people wanting a pet squirrel on social media. Every YouTube video showing a pet squirrel is full with "How adorable!" and "I want one!" comments. Maybe you can reach out on YouTube or FaceBook for a bigger audience if nobody around here is able to take them. If you go that route, keep in mind that those folks don't know what they will be dealing with. Make sure you get to talk to them a few times on the phone or in person before making a decision. They need to know that greys are not easy to deal with, that they are messy, moody, may chew on things, may not want to cuddle, need daily out-of-cage time etc.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Clas (06-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Since most are older, a release should be in a quiet and rural setting where they can stay around as long as they please, and get at least some kind of food provided on a daily basis until they decide to move on. That may take weeks, months or never be the case. So you will need somebody who enjoys feeding squirrels in the first place.

I'd not limit this search to Florida. Georgia and the Carolinas are also good places.

There are a ton of people wanting a pet squirrel on social media. Every YouTube video showing a pet squirrel is full with "How adorable!" and "I want one!" comments. Maybe you can reach out on YouTube or FaceBook for a bigger audience if nobody around here is able to take them. If you go that route, keep in mind that those folks don't know what they will be dealing with. Make sure you get to talk to them a few times on the phone or in person before making a decision. They need to know that greys are not easy to deal with, that they are messy, moody, may chew on things, may not want to cuddle, need daily out-of-cage time etc.
    I’m definitely not opposed to anywhere outside of Florida! Like I said in my original post, I’d drive them just about anywhere if I knew they were going to a good home and would be taken care of thank you for the advice, really appreciate it!

Red face Re: Rehoming/rehabbing adult squirrels

I'm in nc I'll take them I'm in Apprenticeship License I'd love to have them. Txt 8284326956