Thread: Ringworm turned into sores.

Default Ringworm turned into sores.

Thisis Ivy and she was brought to my sanctuary. She was completely emaciated, and only a quarter of the week she should be at her age. We almost have her to the weight she needs to be at, she was treated for ringworm with wash and ointment and also for respiratory pneumonia with baytril. Now the ringworm spots are turning into wounds. I have been keeping them clean the best I can and treating them with anti-septic, but I would like some advice on how I can prevent this. I attempted to add photos for reference.

Default Re: Ringworm turned into sores.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllisterSanctuary View Post
    Thisis Ivy and she was brought to my sanctuary. She was completely emaciated, and only a quarter of the week she should be at her age. We almost have her to the weight she needs to be at, she was treated for ringworm with wash and ointment and also for respiratory pneumonia with baytril. Now the ringworm spots are turning into wounds. I have been keeping them clean the best I can and treating them with anti-septic, but I would like some advice on how I can prevent this. I attempted to add photos for reference.

Those wounds look pretty horrible... what is anti-septic and ointment are being used to treat this currently?

Ahead of knowing the response I would simply use diluted betadine (povidine iodine) as the topical treatment.

Baytril would be good for the respiratory infection, but you may need to use clavamox or septra for this skin infection.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (06-20-2022)

I am using a miconzole and chlorhexidine wash , before that arrived I used a clotrimazole cream recommended by a rehabber near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Those wounds look pretty horrible... what is anti-septic and ointment are being used to treat this currently?

Ahead of knowing the response I would simply use diluted betadine (povidine iodine) as the topical treatment.

Baytril would be good for the respiratory infection, but you may need to use clavamox or septra for this skin infection.

I will order more betadine, I also used hydronium ion solution to clean them.
    She is still eating, gaining weight, and very active.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

It is ringworm, yes? The one with all the fur inside the ring looks . . .

When I get ringworm it starts out as an itchy irritation, which yes I do scratch, then over a few days the itchy patch develops into the circle shape and then I go "Duh! Ringworm!" and put anything with tolnaftate in it on, with a band-aid over it to keep the cream on it, and it's gone in a couple of days. I use either athlete's foot cream or jock itch cream as long as the tolnaftate is the active ingredient, but it's getting hard to find, seems to be being replaced by clotrimazole, which I've never used so can't speak to its effectiveness. Granted I'm not covered in fur though, so I guess it would look different on a squirrel.

The one looks nasty. Glad it isn't keeping her from being a squirrel.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Is there a picture in this thread, if so I don't see it 🤷
    I'd like to see what ringworm looks like.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

sundoesshine (06-20-2022)

Again, are you SURE this is ringworm? Like, did someone look at it under a Wood's lamp?

Most rehabs/sanctuaries/vets have bottles of Sulfatrim - which is a compounded version of SMZ-TMP - it is actually made for little kids and is pink and fruit flavored. Sure would like to see this baby get some of that - even is this is ringworm, you have some huge invitations for secondary infection there.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Is there a picture in this thread, if so I don't see it 🤷
    I'd like to see what ringworm looks like.
    Same here..

The pics were there last night, but I don't see them now.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/