Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger gone

Default Re: Finger gone

Betadyne (10% povidone iodine) should be available at your local drug store. Not sure why Walmart is shipping only. Most drug stores sell it in their own store brand too - get that by all means - it is a few dollars cheaper. BTW, it is the best wound care/wash/disinfectant I have found for humans and I have tested it HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Betadyne (10% povidone iodine) should be available at your local drug store. Not sure why Walmart is shipping only. Most drug stores sell it in their own store brand too - get that by all means - it is a few dollars cheaper. BTW, it is the best wound care/wash/disinfectant I have found for humans and I have tested it HARD!
    Hi Critter I went and got the Betadyne (10% povidone iodine) this morning, I just applied a dime size on a kitchen napkin and ran that on the area. is that good? and how often?

Also, I got infant ipuprofen, how many drops do I give him, or do I need that at all.?

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Hi Critter I went and got the Betadyne (10% povidone iodine) this morning, I just applied a dime size on a kitchen napkin and ran that on the area. is that good? and how often?

Also, I got infant ibuprofen, how many drops do I give him, or do I need that at all.?

I'm sure CM will send you a PM for dosing. Don't give him too much ibuprofen and adjust if needed, or he will be literally high on drugs and become too active, which may put his healing wound at risk.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Diggie's Friend (06-16-2022)

The betadyne should be diluted for use. Put 1/4 teaspoon in 1/4 cup water and use that to clean the wound.

Can you give us an estimate of his weight?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The betadyne should be diluted for use. Put 1/4 teaspoon in 1/4 cup water and use that to clean the wound.

Can you give us an estimate of his weight?
    Opps, I did not dilute it

He comes in at 655 grams

You are in very good hands with Spanky's and CM's wound care support!

Sorry Ramis, I thought it important that you were made aware of this potential issue. And though lesions are very common in older rats, in heavier NRs as mine were,
    the incidence of lesions increases with age, excess weight gain, and inactivity. Here are a number of natural organic sources that have been confirmed to significantly improve the health of older rodents. I stretched out the text to make it easier to read and see the amounts for each source I've noted.

'Quercetin', a natural compound found in fruits and vegetables and the leaves of some non toxic plants; has been the focus of research studies over many decades. With wounds becoming rather itchy towards the end of the healing process. Quercetin has been found to reduce itching in rats by suppressing histamines which promote itching.

(1/64 Tsp.) added into a moist food daily.

https://globalhealing.com/products/q...SAAEgICq_D_BwE

Pycnogenol" (PYC), is an extract of the living (cambium) layer of the Pinaster (Maritime) Pine. From the perspective of the wild diet, PYC replaces the inner layer of tree bark which the squirrels strip the outer bark of their food trees to get to the living inner layer which contains calcium, potassium and other vital nutrients.

Researched over 50 years in over 100 studies. It it is a high source of polyphenols that have been found to have significant health improving and supporting properties. It is well tolerated in rats at much higher doses when required; yet most of the doses used to treat various conditions were much lower. It is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti oxidant, anti-viral, found to promote skin healing and counter diabetes in rats. Also, PYC has been found in rats, to lend protection from toxic damage in the liver and improve kidney function which lends to extending the life of older animals that have lowered kidney function PYC normalizes blood pressure, which in older overweight pets is common. PYC also was found to increase calcium bone density in menopausal rats.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi.../dp/B00CLYNAUA

(One quarter of one capsule powder) from (Pycnogenol 30 mg. by, "Healthy Origins") added to a moist food like baked organic Butternut squash. Add a couple of drops of food grade organic pumpkin seed oil to enhance the aroma and improve the taste of baked or boiled squash.

(see 4 oz. bottle option on page) https://www.seedoilcompany.com/produ...d-oil-for-pets

Probiotics/prebiotic countering bad bacteria and improving digestion and availability of nutrients from the diet; they have also be found to improve healing, aid in improving calcium bone density, and countering viruses. Again from the perspective of the wild diet, this source provides a replacement of naturally occurring soil based probiotics that tree squirrels access by pulling up tufts of grass and flipping them over to chew on the soil that surrounds the roots. Known as, 'geophagy', 'soil ingestion', many species of mammals are known to engage in this behavior. I saw the foxer we raised do this in late spring, shortly after their release.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

Recommend (one quarter portion of a capsule),of, "Pet Flora" by "Vitality Science" be added daily to a moist food, like naturally sweetened applesauce, or baked butternut squash and food grade pumpkin seed oil from this source.

Recommend (1/64 Tsp.) of Calcium Citrate from, "Pure Bulk" be added to a 1/2 Tablespoon portion of avocado to offset the phosphorus content.

Mini measuring spoon set: https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...o%2C114&sr=1-2
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 06-18-2022 at 07:36 AM.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamiS (06-18-2022)

Hi everyone- UPDATE:

So, he is back to his normal self, playing, running AKA (going nuts ) so very happy about that. I still add Betadine here and there on the injury but no swelling that I can see so far. The one thing I am not understanding are the patches on both sides as you see in the pictures attached, any ideas?

Just fyi, he does not stay in the cage so no chance of him getting caught in anything leading to hair being stuck or removed that way!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

McCarthy (06-21-2022)

bump//

bump//

I think those patches are unrelated to the finger injury.

Did he get a new nest box with tight opening?

He will be 8 soon, he just may start losing fur in certain places. Since this is happening on both arms its another indication for an age relate symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    I think those patches are unrelated to the finger injury.

Did he get a new nest box with tight opening?

He will be 8 soon, he just may start losing fur in certain places. Since this is happening on both arms its another indication for an age relate symptom.
    Thanks

I am no expert for sure, but I would have thought in the case of age these would be random! this is in the same spot on both legs. His box has a pretty big entry whole, its cardboard so I dont see that as the issue!

They will generally lose fur at and around the site of an injury. Considering he has the toe injury and the asymmetrical fur lose on his "forearms" it makes me wonder if he had gotten into some or after something that caused the toe injury and maybe slight injuries to the forearms? I am imagining him trying to, as an example, reach under a door or the like and having gotten tangled in something like a rug... like a bathroom rug.. that his nails got hung up in and as he struggled he caused some topical damage on the forearms and maybe the toe got so hung up...

I am making this up out of whole clothe, but just spit-balling on how all this may have came to be...

For what it is worth, squirrels that lose some or all of a finger, after they heal up, seem to adapt quite well.

A wild squirrel in my yard we call Mama Squirrel had a badly injured front paw in late winter 2020. As she had pups at the time and catching her was unlikely anyways, I managed to get her clavamox via pecan and she made a nice recovery.

She lost an entire toe on her front paw. (Photos are five weeks apart - before and after.) Anyways, Mama Squirrel is still going strong more than two years later. (She is at least 4.5 years old at this point.)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ured-front-paw
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi All- So I just looked close at his hand, and its 100% a bone sticking out!! He is playing and acting normal but when I try to hold the hand to take a look he pulls right away! any advise on the bone sticking out?

Hi All- I just took a video hoping you can now see the tip and that what seems to be a bare bone sticking out and maybe give me some advise on this https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nH5tA...nnel=HautHisse

Hi All- I just took a video hoping you can now see the tip and that what seems to be a bare bone sticking out and maybe give me some advise on this https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nH5tA...nnel=HautHisse
    It looks clean. If he doesn't start messing with it it should heal. The exposed bone may die and fall off, and new skin grow around to close the end, or it may just grow over what's exposed. The big thing to watch out for is him to start chewing on it.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Diggie's Friend (06-27-2022)

Thanks Chrips, I am seeing some swelling today. Also, the nail seems to be growing but the bare bone right under it is not falling off and every time i try to touch it he pulls away which tells me its painful

Thanks Chrips, I am seeing some swelling today. Also, the nail seems to be growing but the bare bone right under it is not falling off and every time i try to touch it he pulls away which tells me its painful
    The nail growing out seems a positive sign.

I raised one squirrel Mookie who lost a nail which ultimately grew back completely normally.

I raised another Iggy where the injury was worse and the nail was just hanging there. Eventually the nail came off, and Iggy ended up with a somewhat shorter finger with no nail or claw. Iggy is still around more than two years after that injury, and the stumpy finger does not seem to bother him.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

sundoesshine (06-29-2022)

Hi everyone-

OK, I am back in PANIC mode!! His finger looks very strange now, he is much more sensitive using it as well, he is keeping his hand up, I need to help him climb today, pictures below, I did my best to capture the finger

What I can see (sort of) sticking out looks like it is somewhat curved. Is that correct? Could you be seeing a now deformed claw growing out?

There is the nail growing on the top then there is the bare bone right below that pointing up, I am trying to upload a video but its taking for ever.

I am worried about a possible infection and I have no vet. Would there be a vet that can be trusted to do a telehealth call or something like that? I also have no meds available like antibiotics so I am very worried.

Thank you all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast