Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger gone

Default Finger gone

Hi Fam- (IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE< ADMIN PLEASE REMOVE TO ANOTHER)

My Boy (Moby) 8 years old in October (Fox squirrel) as many as you know has been a super active boy even after all these years, great diet (Henry blocks twice a day, viggies, some fruits and a nut (hazelnut from Henry's a day)

Well, this morning He ate and drank and went to his box, not sleeping just lying in there which is not like him at all, he usually spends at least the first 4-5 years of the day roaming around going crazy like a non stop train, today he has been inside all day, I MEAN ALL DAY. I tried to get him out every way I can, he came out and took the hazelnut, ate that and back to the box.Now I am dragging him out and inspecting and behold, one of his fingers on his right hand is GONE, not just the nail tip, the whole thing is GONE. I dont know what happened or how, and I think this is why he has been feeling like this. I am very worried about an infection

WHAT DO I DO. (BTW I dont have a vet)

Default Re: Finger gone

Post pics if you can.

Watch diligently to ensure this is not self-mutilating activity.

Check his cage for pinch point that may have trapped his toe... what type of cage does he own?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (06-16-2022)

It wont let me upload images, I have the right format but still wont. I can text them

He has not been in his critter nation cage since yesterday morning

This is not self harm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    It wont let me upload images, I have the right format but still wont. I can text them

He has not been in his critter nation cage since yesterday morning

This is not self harm at all.

Try this image upload website (its free, no account needed): https://postimages.org/

After the upload, copy and paste the direct link into your next post over here.

Is the wound seeping fluid? Bleeding outright? Swollen? Any bone sticking out?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

RamiS (06-15-2022)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

McCarthy (06-15-2022)

Get yourself a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine. Dilute it - 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water - and use that to clean his wound. You can just squeeze the contents of a cotton ball on the sore part. Do it at least twice a day. Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and it doesn't burn or sting at all in the dilution I recommended.

Give him some infant ibuprophen. That hurts like h*ll. The infant ibuprophen will help it a lot. We need his approximate weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Get yourself a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine. Dilute it - 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water - and use that to clean his wound. You can just squeeze the contents of a cotton ball on the sore part. Do it at least twice a day. Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and it doesn't burn or sting at all in the dilution I recommended.

Give him some infant ibuprophen. That hurts like h*ll. The infant ibuprophen will help it a lot. We need his approximate weight.
    I found Mortin for infants, but not the Betadine, is it called something else? Does walmart have these things? if so, could I trouble you with the links and I can grab them in the early morning

He ate and drank water now, he is just so jumpy and acting very careful of everything. I think I can see bone and not just a nail lose... very worried

No. Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide.

I am surprised that Povidine Iodine 10% (Betadyne) was not at your Walmart, but my local Walmart (at least on-line) says it is not available for pick up... I assume that means they don't have it on the shelf?

Any pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, etc) will have this and a store brand of it as well.

Edit: I would not be overly concerned about the finger... it may be bothersome for a few days, but not something that is in any way life threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    No. Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide.

I am surprised that Povidine Iodine 10% (Betadyne) was not at your Walmart, but my local Walmart (at least on-line) says it is not available for pick up... I assume that means they don't have it on the shelf?

Any pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, etc) will have this and a store brand of it as well.

Edit: I would not be overly concerned about the finger... it may be bothersome for a few days, but not something that is in any way life threatening.
    Thank you so much for saying that, I am a little calmer now. I cleaned out his box, changed his bedding. He just ate an avocado slice, half a block since he had one this morning, fresh water and two blueberries. And now he is back in his box

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Chirps (06-15-2022), McCarthy (06-15-2022), Mermer9 (06-16-2022), sundoesshine (06-15-2022)

Awwww, wookit dat face!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

RamiS (06-15-2022), sundoesshine (06-15-2022)

Thank you so much for saying that, I am a little calmer now. I cleaned out his box, changed his bedding. He just ate an avocado slice, half a block since he had one this morning, fresh water and two blueberries. And now he is back in his box

You can get Betadine over-night on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C2O5EQ

If I would place salad on my current guy's head, I'd be the one missing a finger. He really got pissed off today when I tried to feed him some leek.

He hates healthy food. He is a wild that grew up in a bad part of town. So he steals my cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    You can get Betadine over-night on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C2O5EQ

If I would place salad on my current guy's head, I'd be the one missing a finger. He really got pissed off today when I tried to feed him some leek.

He hates healthy food. He is a wild that grew up in a bad part of town. So he steals my cookies.

haha I laughed when i saw the remote in mint condition, you should see mine, destroyed.

BTW those better not be chocolate cookies chocolate is the enemy of animals

haha I laughed when i saw the remote in mint condition, you should see mine, destroyed.

BTW those better not be chocolate cookies chocolate is the enemy of animals

He nibbles the biscuit side only. Was his second day out in my house, so that explains the condition of the remote. Took him in with a hurt arm, and he goes back to the park in a few days, where he can steal his favorite food from park visitors again: French fries.

He has a grumpy pooky face!

Is there a way you can get a photo of the underside of his effected paw perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    He has a grumpy pooky face!

Is there a way you can get a photo of the underside of his effected paw perhaps?
    Hi Diggie- I read your message, thought I would respond to your post though as that really scared me after I started feeling a little less panicked last night. He woke up today, still lazy, staying in his box (very unusual) He ate his block, drank water and now just sitting around.

I am going to go get him the "Betadine" and "ibuprofin infant" this morning. I never gave him any medication, so this is new and scary to me.

It is impossible to get a photo of his PAW, he just wont let me

Ok, so just now I had to hold him in a way he did not like, but I got a better look at it (taking a picture was impossible)

The paw is there, but it looks like the nail is completely removed from the very base, and I think there is bone pointing out

What should I do!

The paw is there, but it looks like the nail is completely removed from the very base, and I think there is bone pointing out

What should I do!

This --->
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Watch diligently to ensure this is not self-mutilating activity.
    I am re-emphasizing this not as the original cause, but because when they have injuries like this there is always a risk they start chewing at themselves and do bad damage.

I am not sure there is much you can do except allow it to heal... unless you have a vet (and even then, they may not want to do anything invasive). You can give pain meds (ibuprofen) if you believe they are needed. Watch for redness, excessive welling and other signs of infection. Do you have any antibiotics on hand in case an infection begins to develop. The betadine should pretty well prevent infection.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (06-16-2022)

Cropped one of those photos. Looks relatively decent in my opinion, I don't see any swelling or infection, just redness.

You could buy the linked below, cheap camera on Amazon for 28 bucks and place it over his nest box. This will allow you to see if he chews his wound. You can watch it on your smartphone or a website. You will have to click "continue" every 15 min or so, the stream only goes uninterrupted if you pay for a cloud services. I use this cam to check on my guy all the time.

My best guess is, that he got stuck with that nail somewhere, and ripped it out in order to get away. Check for anything and and around his cage. Maye you can find the nail in a gap, piece of wood, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YB8HZ8T

Screenshot from my cam a minute ago, its only black and white at night or when its dark:

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

sundoesshine (06-16-2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast