Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welp...I'm stumped

Default Welp...I'm stumped

Hi y'all. Haven't been around in a good long while. Need some help with Percy please. He was fine one evening a couple days ago and then the next morning he was flat out in his cage. I thought it may have been trauma but he doesn't seem to be in pain. No signs of fracture or contusion. He just...won't move. I immediately thought MBD but he just doesn't get any bad foods and his diet is pretty tight. And does it come on suddenly? Anyway, I started some Calcium citrate, bought some formula, and have been trying to syringe some food into him. He'll eat reluctantly. Any advise on what to feed?

FYI - I have NO access to a vet. None, nada, zip.

Thanks much!

Kristie

Default Re: Welp...I'm stumped

The MBD protocol can only help, not hurt. Yes, it can come on that quickly... one day fine, next day dead laying on the bottom of the dead. Well, it takes weeks and sometimes months to progress, but the symptoms can seemingly come on that quickly... squirrels are masters of hiding pain and weakness. Once it is obvious, it usually is a critical situation.

Does his diet include any sort of rodent block?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The MBD protocol can only help, not hurt. Yes, it can come on that quickly... one day fine, next day dead laying on the bottom of the dead.

DOes his diet include any sort of rodent block?
    Diet is 2 Henry's Healthy blocks, greens (lettuce, kale, spinach etc) small bit of fruit, squash, snap peas, avocado, and so forth. Have Harlan Teklad (Envigo now I guess) available at will. No nuts, no corn, no cookies. He gets occasional wild treats like magnolia buds and seed pods, pinecones, Apple blossoms and branches.

So I'm following MBD protocol but he does not want to eat. So just keep forcing formula? Henry's blocks don't blend very well. Do I add rodent block? Veggies? I don't want to make this worse.

Boy, with the diet you describe, he doesn't sound like an MBD candidate. I would continue to offer more calcium, but think you should also look further.

I know you say you don't think he is in pain but given his actions, he seems like he is, particularly not eating. CAN he move?

I would dose him with infant ibuprophen. Do you know/can you get his weight? It is quite effective for pain - if he takes some and suddenly begins acting more "normal" you know that there is something that is hurting him.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Boy, with the diet you describe, he doesn't sound like an MBD candidate. I would continue to offer more calcium, but think you should also look further.

I know you say you don't think he is in pain but given his actions, he seems like he is, particularly not eating. CAN he move?

I would dose him with infant ibuprophen. Do you know/can you get his weight? It is quite effective for pain - if he takes some and suddenly begins acting more "normal" you know that there is something that is hurting him.
    Thanks. I will weigh him. I do have ibuprofen. He is now sitting up and moving around a bit. He can move from one spot to another and adjusts his position when I hold him. Head and eyes track, doesn't seem neurological. Still won't eat solid food even if I hold it. So the calcium may be working??? I won't be able to weigh him until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much. Y'all are always so helpful.

He's 660 gms. Eeek. Can't believe how much he's lost

What is his age?

Infant ibuprophen dosing sent by PM

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

synisterkat (06-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    What is his age?
    He's 7

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to synisterkat from:

Diggie's Friend (06-14-2022)

Just saw this thread. How's Percy today?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

He's moving much better. Did 2 doses of ibuprofen but it didn't seem to make any difference. Did NOT want syringe food this am. So I'll put his regular meal as well as some squishy food with him and continue calcium sprinkled on his food. Fingers crossed!

Great to read that he is moving around better
    Hopefully Percy will bounce back to his squirrely bouncy self in no time
    Please keep us updated

So far so good!! He's pretty mobile. Seems a bit stiff legged when he moves though. Able to sit up and eat on his own. Have stopped trying to syringe him any food even though he could use the extra calories. He's back to his normal food aggressive self! But he still snuggles after he's done eating. He's SO thin. Any tasty treats that aren't too bad for him? I'm running out of things to try.

Prayers to Percy
    Maybe some avocado, it's a healthy fat
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

McCarthy (06-23-2022), sundoesshine (06-24-2022), TubeDriver (06-23-2022)

Great idea but remember no skin or pit (toxic)!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Prayers to Percy
    Maybe some avocado, it's a healthy fat
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Charley Chuckles (06-24-2022)

Do squirrels need vitamin D like we do to be able to use calcium?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Do squirrels need vitamin D like we do to be able to use calcium?

Yes, they do need vitamin D - it is needed for calcium absorption - if they don't have daily access to sunlight outside the house. Vitamin D intake is normally covered with quality rodent block, but only if it makes up at least 80% of the entire food intake.

Now, we can't know if rodent block always gets the right amount of vitamin D. If I ever house a pet squirrel again, I will make my own rodent block in order to make sure that vitamin D is supplied in the right amount.

Supplementation with vitamin D must be done with care since too much vitamin D will kill squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by synisterkat View Post
    So far so good!! He's pretty mobile. Seems a bit stiff legged when he moves though. Able to sit up and eat on his own. Have stopped trying to syringe him any food even though he could use the extra calories. He's back to his normal food aggressive self! But he still snuggles after he's done eating. He's SO thin. Any tasty treats that aren't too bad for him? I'm running out of things to try.

I'd move his cage outside, every day for at least 2 hours, into the sunlight, so his body can make vitamin D which is needed for calcium absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    I'd move his cage outside, every day for at least 2 hours, into the sunlight, so his body can make vitamin D which is needed for calcium absorption.
    Please be very careful if you decide to take your Squirrel outside for sunlight. Yes, Squirrels need vitamin D but they do NOT need sunlight to get it. As McCarthy points out, Rodent Blocks contain Vitamin D. In reality and sadly so, the popular rodent blocks such as Harlan-Teklad (now Envigo) are made primarily for laboratory rodents who usually never see the light of day and still do fine nutritionally and do not develop Metabolic Bone disease or Calcium or Vitamin D deficiencies or disorders from being kept indoors. Also, there are risks associated with direct sun exposure especially in the hot Summer months. Risks associated with direct sun exposure include the development of skin cancers among other concerns. Exposure to hot summer temperatures, especially by a Squirrel who lives indoors where it relatively cool can quickly lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke and even death in a relatively short period of time. If you do decide to take your Squirrel outside please do not put them in an enclosure and location where they are in constant direct sunlight. They should always have shade available. They should also have readily available and accessible of water at all times. Further, you should ideally be in constant attendance to monitor the status of your Squirrel while outside. There are also additional concerns about being outside and these include potential exposure to biting and stinging insects, etc.

Again, it is truly UNnecessary for your Squirrel to be outside to get Vitamin D as long as you provide a diet that contains adequate Vitamin D such as Harlan-Teklad blocks or supplement with Henrys Healthy Blocks (HHB). Teklad blocks can be free fed but HHB should never be free fed. These blocks are in themselves supplement and as far as Vitamin D is the issue, HHB contain a relatively high concentration of Vitamin D compared with a free fed dietary source such as Teklad. HHB should be limited for the "average" adult Squirrel to two blocks per day but this can be and should be adjusted up or down a block or so depending on the size of the Squirrel and how much they may waste while they eat. Ideally when considering the nutritional needs of Squirrels, a quality rodent block such as Harlan-Teklad should be the major constituent of there diet. Henry's website contains the frequently cited Diet Pyramid (https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/) which is quite useful. Most Squirrels seem to appreciate variation in their diet and the Pyramid makes some good suggestions BUT, a Squirrel will do very well nutritionally speaking if they eat nothing but a quality rodent block such Harlan-Teklad and they will not need to run any risk of being outside get their Vitamin D.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

sundoesshine (06-24-2022), TubeDriver (06-24-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast