Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: One of my boys crawled into my camper with a broken arm

Default Re: One of my boys crawled into my camper with a broken arm

I wonder how he is processing this. Has he been in the van the whole time? If he had found the right window, would the beach have been there? Gaslighting a squirrel...

You do know that you have the perfect set up for doing this re-release thing (and if you think this was the last ) I mean your camper. They are all familiar with it and where it sits and what their territory is in comparison to those things.

Good story. I hope he returns to see you.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (06-18-2022), McCarthy (06-17-2022), sundoesshine (06-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    And now I'm back to being single.
    My favorite part of the video was around 00:13 where he nails that landing like Kerri Strug.

I was rather surprised at how calmly he left, not the usual bat-outta-hell, get-me-outta-here departure. My bet is your are going to be best bachelor buds. I have all kinds of imaginary scenarios about what would be really cool but don't want to jinx it. I cannot BElieve he found a nest to crawl right into! So happy for him and you. Nicely done.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Chirps (06-18-2022), McCarthy (06-17-2022)

Absolute beautiful outcome. I can’t see the link to the video 🥲. Anyways great job and maybe you should write a book about your squirrel adventures??? Hmmmm

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

McCarthy (06-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I wonder how he is processing this. Has he been in the van the whole time? If he had found the right window, would the beach have been there? Gaslighting a squirrel...

You do know that you have the perfect set up for doing this re-release thing (and if you think this was the last ) I mean your camper. They are all familiar with it and where it sits and what their territory is in comparison to those things.

Good story. I hope he returns to see you.
    He was processing it in this order:

1. Sniff sniff
    2. Smells like freedom
    3. Later!

I need a break before I can take care of the next case. I worried for almost 2 weeks straight and spent about 700 bucks on squirrel stuff. Next toy will be for me lol

By this time he will be back to growling and teeth chattering at everything that has a tail. All but Rocky will run when he starts a chase.

Rocky is the oldest one with his boxer ears. He doesn't chase. He turns around on the spot, looks at them and 2 short growls make all of them run, and pee a little. He is pure muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    My favorite part of the video was around 00:13 where he nails that landing like Kerri Strug.

I was rather surprised at how calmly he left, not the usual bat-outta-hell, get-me-outta-here departure. My bet is your are going to be best bachelor buds. I have all kinds of imaginary scenarios about what would be really cool but don't want to jinx it. I cannot BElieve he found a nest to crawl right into! So happy for him and you. Nicely done.

Thank you! He was bat-outta-hell a couple nights ago when he didn't want to go back into his cage, and I didn't want him chewing his way out, through my drywall. At some point he was cornered between the large cage and the wall on 2 sides. I found a big box, moved the cage closer to the wall so that the box would just fit into the corner, and move it in. At some point he was forced to walk into the box. I think I heard some growling while he was in the box. I chuckled, knowing that my fingers are safe. The next day he was all best-buddies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Absolute beautiful outcome. I can’t see the link to the video ��. Anyways great job and maybe you should write a book about your squirrel adventures??? Hmmmm
    Thanks Tuff!

Here the link to the video: https://vimeo.com/721531144

I don't think that many people care about squirrels. I see so many park visitors that walk aimlessly around for an hour, finally see a squirrel and say something on that matter. They didn't care to see the other 20 squirrels that ran around their legs. Now, I could write heavy books on the topics of human ignorance or devolution.

Ah, that was so beautiful to see him looking out and running around the front of the camper before making his exit. He looks great!

Now there is something I have been thinking about since you mentioned it a few days ago. This was your description of the habitat. It got me full of questions, such as:

If this is an island, how did the squirrels get there, and how long have they lived there?

Did the squirrels populate it fairly recently, after it was established as a place where humans provide food?

If there were squirrels here before it became a human hangout, what did they eat?

What, if any, effect does a lifelong consumption of human junk food have on the lifespan and overall health of this population?
    (Do they develop diseases not seen in squirrels eating a more "natural diet", or is their lifespan generally short enough that diseases don't "catch up" to them, or is their lifespan shorter than the average squirrel's? Or, are they unusually robust and healthy on this diet?)

. . . More, but I must sleep . . .
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

McCarthy (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Ah, that was so beautiful to see him looking out and running around the front of the camper before making his exit. He looks great!

Now there is something I have been thinking about since you mentioned it a few days ago. This was your description of the habitat. It got me full of questions, such as:

If this is an island, how did the squirrels get there, and how long have they lived there?

Did the squirrels populate it fairly recently, after it was established as a place where humans provide food?

If there were squirrels here before it became a human hangout, what did they eat?

What, if any, effect does a lifelong consumption of human junk food have on the lifespan and overall health of this population?
    (Do they develop diseases not seen in squirrels eating a more "natural diet", or is their lifespan generally short enough that diseases don't "catch up" to them, or is their lifespan shorter than the average squirrel's? Or, are they unusually robust and healthy on this diet?)

. . . More, but I must sleep . . .
    Thank you!

The island is connected with 3 long bridges, I'm having a hard time imagining a few squirrels going that route, right next to heavy traffic. I assume humans brought them to the island.

I only started watching the guys on the island half a year ago. I was told that they have been in this park for a long time. Maybe 20 plus years.

My last wild pet was this field mouse. He always had access to rodent specific food and some fruit, but often ate what I had on my plate. He loved chocolate and got some every day. They live about 3 years in average, in captivity, he made it to 5 years. One reason why he lived longer is the fact that he got a ton of exercise by being allowed to roam my house 24/7.

The squirrels in the park don't reach high age, due to traffic and a few predators. Most are currently 1 to 3 years old. The oldest is Rocky, I'd say he is 5, maybe 6. While he dominates them all, he is very shy around humans. One reason why he has made it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'll never forget how he sat on his butt and used his hinds, and his man pillow, to help eat a fry!

And then he looks at me with this "What you looking at?! stare! Priceless.

🤣😂🤣
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

...I'll never forget how he sat on his butt and used his hinds, and his man pillow, to help eat a fry!

When I watched that, I thought he might have another injury as I'd never seen a squirrel sit on his butt and eat like that. Then I thought maaybe he may have been using what he "had" to help him balance that fry, but thought, naah... Priceless.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sundoesshine from:

McCarthy (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    ...I'll never forget how he sat on his butt and used his hinds, and his man pillow, to help eat a fry!

When I watched that, I thought he might have another injury as I'd never seen a squirrel sit on his butt and eat like that. Then I thought maaybe he may have been using what he "had" to help him balance that fry, but thought, naah... Priceless.
    All my squirrels sit on their rump's like that and two are girls🤣😂
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

sundoesshine (06-18-2022)

Wilds tend to do that in the nest only.

Its so weird that wilds are totally different in behavior compared to "hand" raised pet squirrels.

At one point I had him in my hands, that was already awkward for him, and I just thought to myself "now or never!". I shoved my nose in his back fur and started sniffing him. I earned another stare, his paw in my face, and he started wiggling his butt out of my hands.

One day ya'll see me with a bloody nose or a permanent face hugger...

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

sundoesshine (06-18-2022)

Eating the rest of Stinky's fries. Its just a "handful". One day I'll bring an oven and make a fresh batch for the gang, right on the beach!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

sundoesshine (06-23-2022)

Stinky showed up today when I was feeding the gang. He still uses his paw slightly different when eating, but when he walks or runs, I can't see any issues.

He needs to clean his... you know what...

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (06-23-2022), oblivioncth (06-28-2022), sundoesshine (06-23-2022)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011