Thread: Severe "hiccups" like symptoms

Default Severe "hiccups" like symptoms

I have an approximately 10 week old grey named Friday. Today I fed her her formula as usual after which she seemed fine. An hour later or so I gave her a picky bite and shortly after that she started what I can only describe as severe hiccups. It seems to happen with every breath. She's not cold and she's not lethargic but is pretty miserable with it. It has been going on for several hours now and I don't know what I can do about it. I don't think it's from the formula. I'm afraid I have aspirated her before. She developed the ticking I've heard described here, but got over it in less than 24 hours. Fortunately, we have both gotten much better at feeding since then. This seems different. It's like a convulsion with every breath accompanied by a sharp squeak almost like a bark. Maybe it's just hiccups? She ate too fast? Solid food too soon after formula? I wish video wasn't so hard to post on Vbulletin forums. Has anyone experienced this? I wish there was something I could do for her.

Default Re: Severe "hiccups" like symptoms

Can you put it on Youtube and post the link? That usually works pretty well.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

I'd say mucus blocking the airways, possibly pneumonia from getting food into the lungs.

It seems to me she may have aspirate a solid particulate into her windpipe or lungs. If she is improving, that is great. However, if this continues constantly like in the video it will wear her down quickly.

When you hold her ot your ear like a phone, can you hear a persistent "clicking" noise or even raspy sounds in her lungs (kind of like what rice crispies sound like when you pour milk over them)?

Do you know her weight?

She's not doing it quite as bad and she just took some formula It's still there though. I don't hear anything with my ear against her I can't hear anyway except a fast regular heartbeat. It would make sense that she breathed in something solid that caused this. It happened right after I gave her a picky bite and she chews them up more than she eats them. It might explain how it happened so fast too. Pneumonia doesn't set in within minutes. I had some 500mg capsules of amoxicillin I measured out as best I could. Getting a vet would be near impossible. It's hard to get one here even for dogs and cats these days. I hope she pulls through. I've really become attached to her over the last few weeks. She's just over 8ozs.

Sent dosing by PM

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Spanky (06-01-2022)

Thank you everyone for your help. She seems fine this morning. Took all her formula and is running around. Quite the relief.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrelnapped:

Chirps (06-02-2022), The Nut Lady (06-02-2022)