Thread: Strange pinkish, redish fur on belly of female squirrel.

Default Strange pinkish, redish fur on belly of female squirrel.

Hi there! I've been making friends with a little female squirrel who likes to come drink from my bird bath every day. A few weeks ago, the fur on her belly started having this weird pinkish, redish tint to it. At first I thought maybe she was having an allergic reaction to the nuts I'd given her (I don't feed her a lot, but had given her a few nuts because I read that spring can be hard on squirrels since their food supplies are often used up by then). I'd given her some walnuts and almonds (in shell and brand new, so definitely no mold on them). But I stopped giving her any nuts and after several days, the tint was actually worse, not better.

Then I thought maybe it was due to her breastfeeding some babies, but I looked online and it said squirrel babies suckle for up to 10 weeks and it's now been past 10 weeks and she's still very pink on her tummy. Again, it's the fur that's pink, but it seems like her skin underneath is also maybe pink/red-ish, too. It's hard to tell because I can't get close enough to get a good look. I live in a mountain town in Colorado, so I don't think she's been getting into chemicals or anything like that, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any thoughts on what it could be. I'm attaching pictures, but again I can't get very close and she doesn't like to show her belly much, so getting a good shot was hard.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Name:  Squirrel Tummy 1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  390.3 KB
    Name:  Squirrel Tummy 2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  471.1 KB
    Name:  Squirrel Tummy 3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  519.3 KB

Default Re: Strange pinkish, redish fur on belly of female squirrel.

I have never seen anything quite like this. I will share that when squirrels eat acorns, the tannin in the acorns will turn their urine very red.. often folks post here believing the squirrel is bleeding. That is one thought, she is eating something high in tannin or something else resulting in this coloring in her fur.

I took in a baby grey once that had orange belly fur like a foxer (maybe not quite that orange, but orange none the less); grey's with the traditional "grey" coloring should have bright white bellies. The baby had been being fed dog kibble.. when her diet was switched to a proper squirrel diet, Daisy's belly fur became the white belly it was meant to be... so this story is to share that diet can have an impact on coloration.

I would welcome seeing some pics of her on a dry day with dry fur... just to have another look at that belly.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

sundoesshine (06-03-2022)

She looks about the same as one of my wilds (Eastern grey) who was nursing older, teethed babies. The little monsters are probably biting nearly as much as suckling, or just irritating with the strength of the suckling. It looks like two red, irritated if not bleeding outright nipples in the pics. I am starting to be pretty sure from this that mothers wean their babies, in self defense. We give them formula from a bowl when they start shredding syringes. Mom doesn't have that option.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Thanks so much to both Spanky and Chirps for your quick responses and great information. You both provided great information. I had no idea babies continued suckling when they're old enough to have teeth. Poor little mama!

I tried to get some more pics today since it's not raining, but it was hard to get a clear shot with good lighting. Hopefully they're good enough to give you a little more detail. I can now see that the pink colored fur is only where I assume her nipples are, so I think Chirps is right that it's due to suckling. Is it the milk that discolors the fur somehow, or is it actually blood from her nipples discoloring the fur?

Name:  IMG_1743.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  570.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  544.0 KB

I guess this third pic was too big to attach to my last post. You can clearly see one of her nipples in the center of a tuft of pink fur in this one:

Name:  IMG_1750.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  530.9 KB

OW! She needs to kick these babies OUT!

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

McCarthy (06-08-2022), sundoesshine (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    OW! She needs to kick these babies OUT!
    Agreed! It's time to leave the nest, babies! No matter how cute you are.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mitzi:

Diggie's Friend (06-03-2022), sundoesshine (06-03-2022)

Hah, I was so busy looking at her belly I didn't even see her face in that first pic. She looks like she's saying, "Ooof!" or "Ouch!"
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Foxers are such good mothers. I recall one season where Ms. Diggie breasts were red from her pulling out her tummy fur to line her nest.

Even so, it was nothing as bad as this!!

Put out some organic walnut pieces with some calcium powder sprinkled on them for dem babies; then they won't look back from whence they came!

And don't forget put out a load with calcium for da Mama too; as she no doubt has new babes coming along soon.

Chirps, I agree. She does look like she's saying ouch in that first pic. Or maybe like she just saw a ghost.

Diggie's Friend, pulling your own tummy fur out really is going the extra mile in motherhood! Also, is there a certain brand of calcium powder you'd recommend? I've never heard of using that before.

Calcium citrate from, "Pure Bulk" made in the USA, third party analysis.

https://purebulk.com/products/calcium-citrate-usa

This source also have a lower volume than. "NOW" brand Calcium citrate powder per equal elemental Calcium measure, tastes better too, not chalky.

C. citrate inhibits the loss of calcium from bonding with oxalic acid, a calcium lowering anti-nutrient found in plant sourced foods. This form also improves kidney function.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Calcium citrate from, "Pure Bulk" made in the USA, third party analysis.

https://purebulk.com/products/calcium-citrate-usa

This source also have a lower volume than. "NOW" brand Calcium citrate powder per equal elemental Calcium measure, tastes better too, not chalky.

C. citrate inhibits the loss of calcium from bonding with oxalic acid, a calcium lowering anti-nutrient found in plant sourced foods. This form also improves kidney function.

Very helpful information, thank you. I put it on my shopping list!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mitzi from:

Diggie's Friend (06-28-2022)