Thread: is iceberg lettuce toxic to squirrels❓

Default is iceberg lettuce toxic to squirrels❓

Good evening dear TSB Crew

the subject is a bit controversial in my area...
    and would like to have your opinion on the following question:

‼️is iceberg lettuce toxic to squirrels❓‼️

it is toxic to all rodents...unfortunately it is not a compagnon pet so we don't talk about the squirrel anywhere.

I think we should all not eat iceberg lettuce 🤔

Default Re: is iceberg lettuce toxic to squirrels❓

No, it is not toxic and in fact in group 2 of the healthy squirrel diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

We have and use the same chart heathy diet.

But different companies as oxbow’s talk about it for the guinea pig wamiz for the hamster and another for the rabbit… so now i not sure about this

It seems to be acceptable if you mix it with other lettuce and very small quantities.

Because of manmade with latex…and could be compare as a morphine for rodent.

Maybe time change so do things change too🤷🏻*♀️ and new discovery maybe i don’t know❓ That’s i am here asking TSB.

Is it possible to double check please? Can you Google it just to see what is your impression after

A source told me also in big amounts ingestion it could give diarrhea. Is it fare to say it could be possible❓

All this conversation is reflecting my opinion about the controversial subject on different credible web site❗️

Setting aside the issue of toxicity, I would simply say there is little nutritional value in iceberg lettuce so there really is no point in spending money on this as squirrel food. Most other lettuces provide much better nutrition.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (05-31-2022), Diggie's Friend (05-31-2022), Love-Lee (05-31-2022)

Thanks for your opinion and really very happy with it❤️

Just for «*share*» info on the reason why.

Its a copy paste text :

Any serious veterinarian will warn you: do not feed your rodent exclusively green salad. Because the latex – this white milk that flows from the leaves and stems of lettuces and to which they owe their name – contains, in high doses, substances toxic to rabbits. In question, molecules of the family of lactones with narcotic and psychotropic effects. Varieties such as iceberg lettuce are particularly rich. The sedative properties of this latex have been known for a long time.

So for me …in IMO make a lot of senses regarding the fact and mostly how iceberg is made. Very impressive❗️Until now i thought it was s vudeo on how we make fake plastic food for decoration like the one at Starbuck cafe😆

And i have another toxic news to tell…it’s about some of our Maples trees in canada Quebec city who are toxic. As the Red Maples for exemple

Ill make a post for it but still wondering in wich categories to post it❗️❓❗️

Iceberg lettuce has a high water content, and as pointed out, it has a lower nutrient content. It is also subject to high damage from insects, which is why most of this kind of lettuce is sprayed with pesticides which are dangerous toxins especially in rodents. Most iceberg lettuce I find to be bitter likely from being produced with high nitrogen fertilizers.

I prefer Romaine lettuce, the baby version, "Little Gems" is by far the best one. You will need though to keep an ear and an eye out for notices on contamination outbreaks from Romaine lettuce that is most commonly grown in California. A number of human deaths have resulted from consuming contaminated Romaine lettuce; mostly because those who had a salads that included this kind of lettuce, didn't seek medical intervention before it was too late. This happens every few years or so, from a broken water lines containing contaminants that end up on crops. Reports on News stations give the name of the product that contains romaine lettuce found to be contaminated with E. coli.

"After a series of E. coli outbreaks sickened more than 160 people who ate romaine lettuce in late 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration launched an investigation. Months later, in March 2020, the agency announced its plan to prevent toxic E. coli outbreaks linked to leafy greens in the future."