Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Hello someone dropped off a squirrel to me and advised that she was found alone. Iíve noticed that her foot appears severely infected and is 3x the size of the other foot and it looks like things are coming out of her toes (not bugs). Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there any over the counter antibiotics that can be given?

    I donít see a place to post pictures here but I have them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Is it a baby squirrel or an adult?

    I'd start with disinfecting the foot by soaking it in peroxide for 30 seconds.

    Others will help with antibiotics.

    You can upload photos here: https://postimages.org/

    Once that is done, you will see a "direct link". Mark, copy and paste this link into your next reply.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    6,064
    Thanked: 5879

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Peroxide is never a good idea since it kills healthy tissue.

    Are these maggots coming from the toes? If yes, remove as many as possible and you will need to treat her with nitenpyram (Capstart, Capguard adn a few other brans). This can be given both orally and topically to kill maggots (off label) and I wouild do both. Give 1/4 of a 11.5MG tablet crushed in water orally. Crush another 1/4 and mix with 5 ml water and flush her feet ASAP.

  4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    Grinderhead (05-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-31-2022), Tuff (05-30-2022)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Peroxide is never a good idea since it kills healthy tissue.
    While excessive usage of hydrogen peroxide can destroy the fibroblasts cells that are responsible for healing wounds, minimal usage can very much help push out maggots in infested wounds.

    By pouring hydrogen peroxide in the wounds, it froths and pushes out maggots or any kind of infestation from the injury.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    6,064
    Thanked: 5879

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    While excessive usage of hydrogen peroxide can destroy the fibroblasts cells that are responsible for healing wounds, minimal usage can very much help push out maggots in infested wounds.

    By pouring hydrogen peroxide in the wounds, it froths and pushes out maggots or any kind of infestation from the injury.
    We'll agree to disagree I suppose. And when treating for maggots it is always a good idea to treat both internally and externally. Hopefully we will agree that peroxide should not be given internally.

    The Capstar will kill the maggots quickly and thoroughly and it is an extremely safe treatment.


  7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    Diggie's Friend (05-31-2022), Grinderhead (05-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-31-2022), stepnstone (05-30-2022), TubeDriver (05-30-2022), Tuff (05-30-2022)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    somewhere else
    Posts
    489
    Thanked: 625

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Peroxide is never a good idea since it kills healthy tissue.

    Are these maggots coming from the toes? If yes, remove as many as possible and you will need to treat her with nitenpyram (Capstart, Capguard adn a few other brans). This can be given both orally and topically to kill maggots (off label) and I wouild do both. Give 1/4 of a 11.5MG tablet crushed in water orally. Crush another 1/4 and mix with 5 ml water and flush her feet ASAP.

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grinderhead from:

    stepnstone (05-30-2022)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    We'll agree to disagree I suppose. And when treating for maggots it is always a good idea to treat both internally and externally. Hopefully we will agree that peroxide should not be given internally.

    The Capstar will kill the maggots quickly and thoroughly and it is an extremely safe treatment.


    IF we are dealing with maggots. OP said its not bugs. Capstar doesn't help with any form of infection or the resulting inflammation (swelling) since it is an insecticide and has no disinfecting properties. How do you clean the wound and help the immune system to win the fight against the infection?

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Hello all,

    Thank you for the information is Capstar over the counter? I’m wondering if there are any other antibiotics that could help? I will try the hydro peroxide since I have absolutely nothing else at this point.

    This is the link to the pictures:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/mzybWRn

    What’s strange is it looks like a second set of nails coming in through each toe. I’m wondering if this is some birth defect and maybe that’s why she was abandoned? I’m unsure of how this could even be treated?

    She is about 5 weeks or so old I believe, fully furred and eyes open.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    391
    Thanked: 554

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    IF we are dealing with maggots. OP said its not bugs. Capstar doesn't help with any form of infection or the resulting inflammation (swelling) since it is an insecticide and has no disinfecting properties. How do you clean the wound and help the immune system to win the fight against the infection?
    You clean it with Betadine. You make a mixture of water and Betadine so it looks like sweet tea. You dab it on, it has anti-bacterial properties and anti fungal properties. No need to wash it off or rinse off the area as it will not hurt them to lick it.

  13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

    McCarthy (05-30-2022)

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    I cropped, resized and re-uploaded 2 images, so others can see the details better. I was expecting open wounds. I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Do these objects sticking out move?












    Could this be an early stage of squirrel pox?

    This was a case of pox that started on a paw.



  15. #11
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    I cropped, resized and re-uploaded 2 images, so others can see the details better. I was expecting open wounds. I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Do these objects sticking out move?












    Could this be an early stage of squirrel pox?

    This was a case of pox that started on a paw.


    Hi there no the objects do not move. Thank you for cropping the pics for a closer view. It really looks like a second set of nails as the first set are literally moving out of place. I also have never seen this happen before. Here is a new link:

    https://postimg.cc/gallery/FkwnTKt

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    391
    Thanked: 554

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by IntotheBlue03 View Post
    Hello all,

    Thank you for the information is Capstar over the counter? Iím wondering if there are any other antibiotics that could help? I will try the hydro peroxide since I have absolutely nothing else at this point.

    This is the link to the pictures:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/mzybWRn

    Whatís strange is it looks like a second set of nails coming in through each toe. Iím wondering if this is some birth defect and maybe thatís why she was abandoned? Iím unsure of how this could even be treated?

    She is about 5 weeks or so old I believe, fully furred and eyes open.
    I would do the Betadine solution before peroxide. Plus getting it wet may give you a better view of what is going on. Does the foot/ankle/leg seem to move correctly? Peroxide tends to slow down the healing.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Looks indeed like a new set of nails growing out. Maybe she injured her claws and the old ones are about to die off and come out. Maybe its just a massive infection and puss is pushing out of the palms that just looks like nails.

    Since this is not an open wound, peroxide won't be any help. A steroid may help with the inflammation and swelling, but that topic is not my expertise.




  18. #14
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Thanks again for the reply I definitely have to concur that this is a second set of nails they are sharp but Iím assuming this new set of nails is causing a massive infection which is whatís concerning to me. She is extremely lethargic as to be expected. She can move the affected foot and she doesnít appear to be in significant pain but I canít imagine how thatís not the case. She also feels unwell meaning she is very weak. Unfortunately I donít think I have any OTC options to bring down this swelling/treat the infection before it spreads to her bloodstream correct? So worried this may be a lost cause.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanked: 1889

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    I'm confused. The pics are of the same foot, top and bottom view, yes? Because the bottom view looks like swelling/irritation of the toes, but that topside pic!!! It looks like a bunch of extra or wannabe extra toes. Polydactylism in a squirrel?

    And why is all that extra stuff not visible from the bottom view?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanked: 1889

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by IntotheBlue03 View Post
    Thanks again for the reply I definitely have to concur that this is a second set of nails they are sharp but Iím assuming this new set of nails is causing a massive infection which is whatís concerning to me. She is extremely lethargic as to be expected. She can move the affected foot and she doesnít appear to be in significant pain but I canít imagine how thatís not the case. She also feels unwell meaning she is very weak. Unfortunately I donít think I have any OTC options to bring down this swelling/treat the infection before it spreads to her bloodstream correct? So worried this may be a lost cause.
    Oh. I was typing so missed this.

    Don't give up, if you can get something to help infection she might turn around. Is she taking any nutrition/hydration?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  21. #17
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Oh. I was typing so missed this.

    Don't give up, if you can get something to help infection she might turn around. Is she taking any nutrition/hydration?
    Hi there thanks and yes she is eating and drinking just not moving around much which Iím honestly worried at any point now I will return to her cage to find she has passed. Iím assuming an oral antibiotic could help but are these only available by prescription? Baytril etc?

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    .
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    I had a closer look at the photos and I think I know what's going on.

    When you look at a healthy squirrel paw, the claws are curved and usually point slightly downward, so they can hook into tree bark etc. But when you look at her toes with new nails growing out, the old ones points upwards instead of slightly downwards.

    I think this squirrel hurt its nails, maybe in a fight, maybe the paw got stuck in a bird feeder or whatnot, and the original nails broke off the bones inside the toes and now point upwards, while new nails are growing back in the position where they are supposed to be.

    The same happens to us when we lift a nail and it breaks out of the nail bed, a new one will grow below the old one.

    The main issue I'm seeing, is an infection going on once the new nails started to poke through the skin, followed by the inflammation and swelling.

    I can imagine that she is lethargic due to pain and the inflammation.

    In general terms I think she should be treated with steroids, painkiller and an antibiotic. Do you have a vet in your area that will treat her and not put her down? Others will jump in with human steroids and antibiotic suggestions.




  23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

    Diggie's Friend (05-31-2022)

  24. #19
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    I had a closer look at the photos and I think I know what's going on.

    When you look at a healthy squirrel paw, the claws are curved and usually point slightly downward, so they can hook into tree bark etc. But when you look at her toes with new nails growing out, the old ones points upwards instead of slightly downwards.

    I think this squirrel hurt its nails, maybe in a fight, maybe the paw got stuck in a bird feeder or whatnot, and the original nails broke off the bones inside the toes and now point upwards, while new nails are growing back in the position where they are supposed to be.

    The same happens to us when we lift a nail and it breaks out of the nail bed, a new one will grow below the old one.

    The main issue I'm seeing, is an infection going on once the new nails started to poke through the skin, followed by the inflammation and swelling.

    I can imagine that she is lethargic due to pain and the inflammation.

    In general terms I think she should be treated with steroids, painkiller and an antibiotic. Do you have a vet in your area that will treat her and not put her down? Others will jump in with human steroids and antibiotic suggestions.




    Wow thank u for this valuable insight! Makes complete sense, I do not have a vet in my area. I do have a ton of prednisone but only in pill form and no antibiotics. Iím willing to try anything if her condition worsens. Any ideas for human steroid or antibiotic use is welcome.

  25. #20
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by IntotheBlue03 View Post
    Wow thank u for this valuable insight! Makes complete sense, I do not have a vet in my area. I do have a ton of prednisone but only in pill form and no antibiotics. I’m willing to try anything if her condition worsens. Any ideas for human steroid or antibiotic use is welcome.
    Hi all so I am doing this on my own accord but am just looking for opinions as she clings to dear life. I plan on giving her 0.5 mg prednisone ground up in formula and applying terramycin ointment where I can on the skin penetrations of the new nails. I will seek out Baytril where I can. Just looking for feedback on these medications. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •