Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Default Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Hello someone dropped off a squirrel to me and advised that she was found alone. I’ve noticed that her foot appears severely infected and is 3x the size of the other foot and it looks like things are coming out of her toes (not bugs). Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there any over the counter antibiotics that can be given?

I don’t see a place to post pictures here but I have them.

Default Re: Squirrel Infection EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Is it a baby squirrel or an adult?

I'd start with disinfecting the foot by soaking it in peroxide for 30 seconds.

Others will help with antibiotics.

You can upload photos here: https://postimages.org/

Once that is done, you will see a "direct link". Mark, copy and paste this link into your next reply.

Peroxide is never a good idea since it kills healthy tissue.

Are these maggots coming from the toes? If yes, remove as many as possible and you will need to treat her with nitenpyram (Capstart, Capguard adn a few other brans). This can be given both orally and topically to kill maggots (off label) and I wouild do both. Give 1/4 of a 11.5MG tablet crushed in water orally. Crush another 1/4 and mix with 5 ml water and flush her feet ASAP.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (05-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-31-2022), Tuff (05-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    While excessive usage of hydrogen peroxide can destroy the fibroblasts cells that are responsible for healing wounds, minimal usage can very much help push out maggots in infested wounds.

By pouring hydrogen peroxide in the wounds, it froths and pushes out maggots or any kind of infestation from the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    While excessive usage of hydrogen peroxide can destroy the fibroblasts cells that are responsible for healing wounds, minimal usage can very much help push out maggots in infested wounds.

By pouring hydrogen peroxide in the wounds, it froths and pushes out maggots or any kind of infestation from the injury.
    We'll agree to disagree I suppose. And when treating for maggots it is always a good idea to treat both internally and externally. Hopefully we will agree that peroxide should not be given internally.

The Capstar will kill the maggots quickly and thoroughly and it is an extremely safe treatment.

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (05-31-2022), Grinderhead (05-30-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-31-2022), stepnstone (05-30-2022), TubeDriver (05-30-2022), Tuff (05-30-2022)

Are these maggots coming from the toes? If yes, remove as many as possible and you will need to treat her with nitenpyram (Capstart, Capguard adn a few other brans). This can be given both orally and topically to kill maggots (off label) and I wouild do both. Give 1/4 of a 11.5MG tablet crushed in water orally. Crush another 1/4 and mix with 5 ml water and flush her feet ASAP.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grinderhead from:

stepnstone (05-30-2022)

We'll agree to disagree I suppose. And when treating for maggots it is always a good idea to treat both internally and externally. Hopefully we will agree that peroxide should not be given internally.

The Capstar will kill the maggots quickly and thoroughly and it is an extremely safe treatment.

IF we are dealing with maggots. OP said its not bugs. Capstar doesn't help with any form of infection or the resulting inflammation (swelling) since it is an insecticide and has no disinfecting properties. How do you clean the wound and help the immune system to win the fight against the infection?

Hello all,

Thank you for the information is Capstar over the counter? I’m wondering if there are any other antibiotics that could help? I will try the hydro peroxide since I have absolutely nothing else at this point.

This is the link to the pictures:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/mzybWRn

What’s strange is it looks like a second set of nails coming in through each toe. I’m wondering if this is some birth defect and maybe that’s why she was abandoned? I’m unsure of how this could even be treated?

She is about 5 weeks or so old I believe, fully furred and eyes open.

IF we are dealing with maggots. OP said its not bugs. Capstar doesn't help with any form of infection or the resulting inflammation (swelling) since it is an insecticide and has no disinfecting properties. How do you clean the wound and help the immune system to win the fight against the infection?
    You clean it with Betadine. You make a mixture of water and Betadine so it looks like sweet tea. You dab it on, it has anti-bacterial properties and anti fungal properties. No need to wash it off or rinse off the area as it will not hurt them to lick it.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

McCarthy (05-30-2022)

I cropped, resized and re-uploaded 2 images, so others can see the details better. I was expecting open wounds. I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Do these objects sticking out move?

Could this be an early stage of squirrel pox?

This was a case of pox that started on a paw.

I cropped, resized and re-uploaded 2 images, so others can see the details better. I was expecting open wounds. I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Do these objects sticking out move?

Could this be an early stage of squirrel pox?

This was a case of pox that started on a paw.

Hi there no the objects do not move. Thank you for cropping the pics for a closer view. It really looks like a second set of nails as the first set are literally moving out of place. I also have never seen this happen before. Here is a new link:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/FkwnTKt

Quote Originally Posted by IntotheBlue03 View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you for the information is Capstar over the counter? I’m wondering if there are any other antibiotics that could help? I will try the hydro peroxide since I have absolutely nothing else at this point.

This is the link to the pictures:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/mzybWRn

What’s strange is it looks like a second set of nails coming in through each toe. I’m wondering if this is some birth defect and maybe that’s why she was abandoned? I’m unsure of how this could even be treated?

She is about 5 weeks or so old I believe, fully furred and eyes open.
    I would do the Betadine solution before peroxide. Plus getting it wet may give you a better view of what is going on. Does the foot/ankle/leg seem to move correctly? Peroxide tends to slow down the healing.

Looks indeed like a new set of nails growing out. Maybe she injured her claws and the old ones are about to die off and come out. Maybe its just a massive infection and puss is pushing out of the palms that just looks like nails.

Since this is not an open wound, peroxide won't be any help. A steroid may help with the inflammation and swelling, but that topic is not my expertise.

Thanks again for the reply I definitely have to concur that this is a second set of nails they are sharp but I’m assuming this new set of nails is causing a massive infection which is what’s concerning to me. She is extremely lethargic as to be expected. She can move the affected foot and she doesn’t appear to be in significant pain but I can’t imagine how that’s not the case. She also feels unwell meaning she is very weak. Unfortunately I don’t think I have any OTC options to bring down this swelling/treat the infection before it spreads to her bloodstream correct? So worried this may be a lost cause.

I'm confused. The pics are of the same foot, top and bottom view, yes? Because the bottom view looks like swelling/irritation of the toes, but that topside pic!!! It looks like a bunch of extra or wannabe extra toes. Polydactylism in a squirrel?

And why is all that extra stuff not visible from the bottom view?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thanks again for the reply I definitely have to concur that this is a second set of nails they are sharp but I’m assuming this new set of nails is causing a massive infection which is what’s concerning to me. She is extremely lethargic as to be expected. She can move the affected foot and she doesn’t appear to be in significant pain but I can’t imagine how that’s not the case. She also feels unwell meaning she is very weak. Unfortunately I don’t think I have any OTC options to bring down this swelling/treat the infection before it spreads to her bloodstream correct? So worried this may be a lost cause.
    Oh. I was typing so missed this.

Don't give up, if you can get something to help infection she might turn around. Is she taking any nutrition/hydration?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Oh. I was typing so missed this.

Don't give up, if you can get something to help infection she might turn around. Is she taking any nutrition/hydration?
    Hi there thanks and yes she is eating and drinking just not moving around much which I’m honestly worried at any point now I will return to her cage to find she has passed. I’m assuming an oral antibiotic could help but are these only available by prescription? Baytril etc?

I had a closer look at the photos and I think I know what's going on.

When you look at a healthy squirrel paw, the claws are curved and usually point slightly downward, so they can hook into tree bark etc. But when you look at her toes with new nails growing out, the old ones points upwards instead of slightly downwards.

I think this squirrel hurt its nails, maybe in a fight, maybe the paw got stuck in a bird feeder or whatnot, and the original nails broke off the bones inside the toes and now point upwards, while new nails are growing back in the position where they are supposed to be.

The same happens to us when we lift a nail and it breaks out of the nail bed, a new one will grow below the old one.

The main issue I'm seeing, is an infection going on once the new nails started to poke through the skin, followed by the inflammation and swelling.

I can imagine that she is lethargic due to pain and the inflammation.

In general terms I think she should be treated with steroids, painkiller and an antibiotic. Do you have a vet in your area that will treat her and not put her down? Others will jump in with human steroids and antibiotic suggestions.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Diggie's Friend (05-31-2022)

I had a closer look at the photos and I think I know what's going on.

When you look at a healthy squirrel paw, the claws are curved and usually point slightly downward, so they can hook into tree bark etc. But when you look at her toes with new nails growing out, the old ones points upwards instead of slightly downwards.

I think this squirrel hurt its nails, maybe in a fight, maybe the paw got stuck in a bird feeder or whatnot, and the original nails broke off the bones inside the toes and now point upwards, while new nails are growing back in the position where they are supposed to be.

The same happens to us when we lift a nail and it breaks out of the nail bed, a new one will grow below the old one.

The main issue I'm seeing, is an infection going on once the new nails started to poke through the skin, followed by the inflammation and swelling.

I can imagine that she is lethargic due to pain and the inflammation.

In general terms I think she should be treated with steroids, painkiller and an antibiotic. Do you have a vet in your area that will treat her and not put her down? Others will jump in with human steroids and antibiotic suggestions.

Wow thank u for this valuable insight! Makes complete sense, I do not have a vet in my area. I do have a ton of prednisone but only in pill form and no antibiotics. I’m willing to try anything if her condition worsens. Any ideas for human steroid or antibiotic use is welcome.

Wow thank u for this valuable insight! Makes complete sense, I do not have a vet in my area. I do have a ton of prednisone but only in pill form and no antibiotics. I’m willing to try anything if her condition worsens. Any ideas for human steroid or antibiotic use is welcome.
    Hi all so I am doing this on my own accord but am just looking for opinions as she clings to dear life. I plan on giving her 0.5 mg prednisone ground up in formula and applying terramycin ointment where I can on the skin penetrations of the new nails. I will seek out Baytril where I can. Just looking for feedback on these medications. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast