Thread: Help With Injured Squirrel

Default Help With Injured Squirrel

I have an injured squirrel dragging his back legs! I have read many posts and answers on here on how to help, from calcium to prednisone..It's been 2 days and it is not getting any better. He is very active and playful and does not seem to be in pain, but my heart breaks for him dragging himself around. He is not full grown and weighs about 260-300 grams. He was not dragging himself last week, however there was 2 days that he hid and would growl if you tried to mess with him.(1 week ago) The dragging started on Wednesday of this week. PLEASE HELP.

Default Re: Help With Injured Squirrel

Is this a squirrel you are raising / rehabbing? Is this a squirrel you found injured outside? Maybe a yard squirrel you are familiar?

How did he come about the injury... you say he was not dragging last week. Understanding the circumstances is very important for proper diagnosis and treatment.

If you are rehabbing him and controlling his diet, what has he been eating? Start the MBD protocol IMMEDIATELY if this is a squirrel in your care. Regardless of what exactly the problem may be, the MBD protocol can only help and not harm.
    https://www.henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/

If he was injured, how was he injured... and do you have prednisone, dexamethosone or methylprednisolone?