Thread: Working on Peanut's release

Default Working on Peanut's release

https://youtube.com/shorts/T5ASnn5pplw?feature=share

I have gradually moved Peanut outdoors. First taking her cage outside each day, them back in, eventually leaving it out all night, on the raised deck with her cage locked.

I started letting her out to explore, and she climbed the 40ft tree in my back yard, hung out all day, and then returned to her cage to sleep. I moved her cage to the back of the yard, and now open it each morning, and lock her in after dark. I still provide 3-4 Henry's blocks in case she's not getting enough food.

This is as far as we've gotten. I think she's trying to come back in the house. Now what do I do? See video of her climbing up screen door.

Help!

Default Re: Working on Peanut's release

Quote Originally Posted by Sabache View Post
    https://youtube.com/shorts/T5ASnn5pplw?feature=share

I have gradually moved Peanut outdoors. First taking her cage outside each day, them back in, eventually leaving it out all night, on the raised deck with her cage locked.

I started letting her out to explore, and she climbed the 40ft tree in my back yard, hung out all day, and then returned to her cage to sleep. I moved her cage to the back of the yard, and now open it each morning, and lock her in after dark. I still provide 3-4 Henry's blocks in case she's not getting enough food.

This is as far as we've gotten. I think she's trying to come back in the house. Now what do I do? See video of her climbing up screen door.

Help!

There are 2 options:

1.) When we soft release a squirrel, it makes sense that all family members and friends start fading out and have no contact with the squirrel anymore. You could provide some food at night only, when she is in her nest, and keep the cage open, so you don't deal with her anymore. Even better, make a small entry that only works for a squirrel, not for predators. This would allow the squirrel to wild-up as much as possible and become independent and develop a natural fear of humans and predators. When she shows up at your house, don't hang around where she can see you guys.

2.) In reality, most non-professional rehabbers love to see them sticking around, and they keep handling them, and some let them back into the house as occasional visitors. And in some rare instances the squirrel may decide that the outdoor world is just too much and they come back inside permanently, if allowed to do so.

If you have option 2 in mind, don't forget how hard they are to maintain and entertain as pets.

No, i have no intention on making her a pet. I have three small dogs. I have tried to keep her as wild as possible. I have never handled her since she was on formula.

I don't see the video as proof that she wants back in, except maybe to visit lol. I think she was just checking it out and confirming that's where you are and where she used to be. It sounds like things are going perfectly as she's getting to explore and learn her world but comes back to her safe place each night. Do you have a safe nest box that can be hung in a tree for her to use? What does she sleep in now? If it's a nest box you were planning to transition to a tree, maybe she's ready for you to do that. If not, get a safe nest box and put it in the cage for her to use, then after she's comfortable with it hang it in a tree for her. Two are preferable in case she gets kicked out of one there's a backup. Please keep us posted. What a chunky, beautiful girl!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/